Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1911 Grip Screw Bushings

Banned

1911 Grip Screw Bushings

I was cleaning a 1911 pistol the other day and removed the grip panels in the process. Sure enough, the grip screw bushings came out on one side. Now this isn't my first rodeo; I've been down this path before.

Normally, when installing the grips, I put just a little grease on the threads of the grip screws so that they will not seize to the grip screw bushing and that generally allows the grip screws to later be removed without unscrewing the bushings from the frame.........generally being the operative word there.

It's not the end of the world and I have another set of screws and bushings on order.

Typically when this has occurred I remove the panel, complete with the bushings still attached to the screws and place the bushing in a vise so that I can separate the grip screw from the bushing. This destroys the bushing but saves the grip screws and grip panel.

Just for my mental toolbox, does anyone have a trick to separate stuck grip screws from the grip screw bushing without destroying the bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Just for my mental toolbox, does anyone have a trick to separate stuck grip screws from the grip screw bushing without destroying the bushings?
    No, sorry. But I do have a process when I install grips on the Model 1911. I apply semi-permanent Loctite to the bushing threads, and Permatex anti-seize to the screw. Both are applied in very small quantities. It seems to help prevent a recurrence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    No, sorry. But I do have a process when I install grips on the Model 1911. I apply semi-permanent Loctite to the bushing threads, and Permatex anti-seize to the screw. Both are applied in very small quantities. It seems to help prevent a recurrence.
    Thank You. I don't use blue Loc-tite on the bushing to frame interface but that's a good idea. I've had good luck with just a tiny dab of choke tube lube (anti-seize) on the grip screw threads but every once in a blue moon the bushing will back out of the frame instead of the screw backing out of the bushing.

Boolit Master
    Get some Challis bushings as replacements.

Banned
    What's a "Challis" bushing?

Boolit Master
    I like the Challis bushings, have put them on several guns.

If you’re traditional you’ll stake the bushings.

If you have a small pair of parallel jaw pliers you can squeeze some thin rubber, like from a bicycle inner tube, into the threads of the bushing, and while holding tightly with one hand unscrew the grip screw with the other hand using a screwdriver, hex wrench -- whatever style you have. The rubber will usually protect the threads from damage. On some makes of 1911 and similar, the bushings are staked in place, and this can be done neatly with a minimum amount of damage using a sharp center punch to make just one small dimple at the juncture of the threads and the hole, and of course not visible at all with the grips installed.

Boolit Grand Master

A small drop of locktite or super glue in the threads and remount the panel with the screws snug lt cure and the screws should brake loose. staking isn't hard I have had better results using a prick punch or very small chisel made from a drill blank under 3/16" dia. Go slow and light with staking as its easy to go to far. Ig you have the tap for them tap a hole in a block of steel thru. stuck in one side and an old one to "jam" it then remove screw. Pliers with rubber or lather will work but that's my last ditch soulution

I think if you was to screw the bushing/screw/grip back in the frame with some loctite on the bushing, after it dries you could remove the grip screw.

Country gent got it out first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I think if you was to screw the bushing/screw/grip back in the frame with some loctite on the bushing, after it dries you could remove the grip screw.

Country gent got it out first.
    Thanks to both.

Boolit Master

I've encountered the same problem. I grabbed the bushing in a collet on my lathe and removed the screw. Close the collet with just enough pressure to get the screw out, and you wont damage the threads. A drop of blue loctite on reassembly will cure that problem in the future.

Boolit Buddy

As stated by a couple posters above I too am gradually switching my 1911's over to Challis bushings. Also, when a slotted head bushing has to be removed it'll be done with the Challis tool. No more bushing drama for me.

Boolit Master

As contry gent said, I personally opt for the red when initially installing afterma parkerizing bath. I despise the star crimper as too heavy handed and you destroy threads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    What's a "Challis" bushing?
    Shaped like a bolt head - hexagonal. Google Challis Grips.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned
    I did. THANKS!

Banned
    The new bushings arrived yesterday. I attempted to separate the old bushings from the screws using some of the techniques shared by others. No dice, they were solidly frozen together. I had to put the bushings in a vise in order to break the screws loose. That destroyed the threads on the bushing but no big deal; that's why I had replacements before I started.

I was a bit surprised they were so tightly locked together considering I had greased the threads of the grip screws before installing the grips. My best guess is the extreme heat coupled with a lot of sweat may have soaked the sweat into the wooden grip panels. I always clean my guns after shooting but I don't always pull the grips off.

The frame and new bushings were de-greased. The new bushings are installed with Loc Tite and all is well. I let them sit overnight before proceeding. I waxed the back side of the grip panels with paste wax and waxed the frame where the grips contact the steel. I also greased the threads of the new grips screws. Hopefully that will prevent a repeat of the bushings backing out.

Again, Thanks to all that offered advice.

Glad you got it resolved. Did you go with the challis system or standard bushings?

Banned
    I went with the standard bushings. I already had them on order when I learned what a Challis bushing was. If I ever need another set I'll certainly consider the Challis bushings. They look like an excellent solution.