RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Redfield 102l install instructions???

Boolit Buddy

Redfield 102l install instructions???

Hi Guys,
    I recently purchased this sight (Redfield 102L) for my 99 Savage. It is new old stock, but didn't come with any instructions. I have laid it on the rifle and have kind of an idea on how it should be mounted, but it seems like I will have to relieve a little wood for clearance. Does anyone have any experience with this sight? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Unless your Savage 99 is already drilled/tapped (D/T) for the Redfield 102L, I would look for a sight that that works with the two holes already D/T on the tang to the rear of the cocking indicator. There are sights made by Lyman, Redfield, Williams and Marble's that fit those holes. Some are the older 'tang' type sights and some, are modern 'micrometer type sights. The Redfield 102L needs two holes D/T on the side of the receiver if it is the sight I am thinking of, Redfield also made a 70LT that fits the tang holes. I would avoid adding holes when already D/T. Many different sights appear if you google 'Savage 99 receiver sights' that are available with a just a little searching. Williams has made 3 different styles for the 99. One fits the earlier tang holes while the later two models fit the factory rear scope mount holes. Lyman has made both a 'tang' sight and a micrometer sight that fits the tang holes. Marbles currently produces a tang sight that fits the older 99's without D/T for scopes.

Boolit Buddy
    MostlyLeverGuns,
    The rifle is a hunting rifle. It has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and is no longer original. I personally don't much care for scopes on model 99's. I think it detracts from the lines of the rifle. There are other sights available, but most are out of my budget for now. This sight was purchased at what I thought was a low price considering that it is vintage and new in box. I think it fits the rifle. It has been my observation over the years that many rifles were modified to meet the needs of their user, and so it will be with this one. It will be passed down through the generations, and hopefully continue to provide meat for my family in the years to come.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the side mounted apertures used the same sight and different bases for the rifle to fit receiver and centerline of action. If it lines up being held in place by hand when at 0 wind and screw holes line up your good to go. If the rifle isn't drilled for it tats about $30.00 a hole to have a good smith do got you. It can be done with good lay out and a drill press A mill is better. More stable solider set up and better control. I believe most side mounts used 8 48 screws to attach.
    If you really want to see it, clean receiver with alcohol. layout edges of base on location and super glue sight in place this holds up to handling allows you to see what it looks like and alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJohn View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I recently purchased this sight (Redfield 102L) for my 99 Savage. It is new old stock, but didn't come with any instructions. I have laid it on the rifle and have kind of an idea on how it should be mounted, but it seems like I will have to relieve a little wood for clearance. Does anyone have any experience with this sight? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    No experience with that sight, but plenty with the Redfield 102. They use 6X48 screws. You will have to drill and tap the left side of the receiver back far enough for the to load rounds and eject the empties. If you have to remove some wood, you have to remove some wood.

Drilling and taping is not difficult, but if you need instruction on how to do it, then take it to a good gunsmith for the work.

The 102 is a great all steel hunting sight. It is not click adjustable but not to hard to adjust without the clicks. When sighted in, it will stay put and take plenty of handling in the field and keep it's zero.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    If the rifle is already drilled and tapped for a Weaver Rear base (Weaver #14), there is a relatively inexpensive Willams Foolproof Sight that will simply screw into the rear scope mount holes. I have drilled and tapped a few rifles, mostly Mausers, a couple 99's and Marlins. To D/T the side of the 99, I would first pull the stock before just running a drill through the side of the receiver. I do believe rifles should be used and I hunt with many of my 99's and shoot most of them, all with scopes or aperture sights and in very tough conditions. I just think there are many sights better than the 102 for 99's. If you must pay to have the rifle D/T the cost would cover a more appropriate sight that fits without D/T. Unless you have access to a solid drill press, you should not run a drill into the receiver. The Savage 99 has few surfaces that are square to the bore, most were ground and polished free hand, so fitting sights/scope base that are square and centered to the bore can be an adventure. In the 60's thru the 80's, old rifles were not sacred and were changed to satisfy the owner, not the people who rub their rifles with an oily rag every weekend and shoot 10 rounds a year. I agree with changing it, just advising about simpler methods.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    If the rifle is already drilled and tapped for a Weaver Rear base (Weaver #14), there is a relatively inexpensive Willams Foolproof Sight that will simply screw into the rear scope mount holes. I have drilled and tapped a few rifles, mostly Mausers, a couple 99's and Marlins. To D/T the side of the 99, I would first pull the stock before just running a drill through the side of the receiver. I do believe rifles should be used and I hunt with many of my 99's and shoot most of them, all with scopes or aperture sights and in very tough conditions. I just think there are many sights better than the 102 for 99's. If you must pay to have the rifle D/T the cost would cover a more appropriate sight that fits without D/T. Unless you have access to a solid drill press, you should not run a drill into the receiver. The Savage 99 has few surfaces that are square to the bore, most were ground and polished free hand, so fitting sights/scope base that are square and centered to the bore can be an adventure. In the 60's thru the 80's, old rifles were not sacred and were changed to satisfy the owner, not the people who rub their rifles with an oily rag every weekend and shoot 10 rounds a year. I agree with changing it, just advising about simpler methods.
    MostlLeverGuns,
    Thanks for the info on the Williams sight, and the other info you have shared. I was kinda rushing myself to get the rifle ready for an upcoming black bear hunt. Thanks for slowing me down with some food for thought.