RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: winchester highwall

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yes, it is not a Winchester in the true sense that it's internal parts have changed. I know the falling block angle was changed to something like 6 degrees for a better seal at the breach. I guess I just look past the small changes like a spring to some degree. But to me there is no real difference between the functionality of the Winchester or the Browning both which are made today by the same company since neither rifle is still made to the original patent or design. As Browning states in its paperwork that comes with their product,

I guess in retrospect it really only matters to those collectors of the REAL original Winchesters that were in fact produced by Winchester from the beginning of the first models offered to the public initially.
    Last edited by MOA; 08-28-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Lots of things change over time. Usually it because better methods and materials are developed and after a while it's not an "original". If I could trade my Miroku made "Winchester" right now for an original 1800's era rifle I personally wouldn't do it. I believe my gun is better made and lacks in nothing performance wise. Tooling, steels, and precision are at a much higher level today than in the past. At a glance it looks "close enough" and I like the gun for what it is.....a very well made, very accurate, retro single shot rifle. I didn't buy it for its authenticity.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Yes, it is not a Winchester in the true sense that it's internal parts have changed. I know the falling block angle was changed to something like 6 degrees for a better seal at the breach. I guess I just look past the small changes like a spring to some degree. But to me there is no real difference between the functionality of the Winchester or the Browning both which are made today by the same company since neither rifle is still made to the original patent or design. As Browning states in its paperwork that comes with their product,

I guess in retrospect it really only matters to those collectors of the REAL original Winchesters that were in fact produced by Winchester from the beginning of the first models offered to the public initially.

The only thing "patterned" (despite sales literature) after the original is a vague outward appearance and the floating hammer principle (and even the mechanics of that were radically redesigned). Also even the original Winchester model 1885 is radically different than Brownings original falling block that Winchester bought the rights for, Winchester changed almost everything about the design retaining only the falling block/floating hammer principle and again even that was modified. To call a new Miroku (either the Browning or Winchester version) a Browning design is more than just a bit of a stretch since they are so radically different, not only in mechanical function but also in appearance. The Miroku rifles are extremely fine rifles of fantastic build quality and very appealing in the looks dept but they are their own highly refined design with a throw-back to the original 1885 as a marketing ploy which is not a bad thing at all. Are they "traditional"? Not really but that is of no matter unless a person is concerned with "originality" in which case an old original or one of the newer American or Italian 1885 copies might be a better choice.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Ford Motor company still makes their 1/2 ton pickups. They neither look like , nor drive like a 1923 Ford 1/2 ton pickup.

New ones are modern steel, built to withstand a crash far better, way more comfortable to drive and mostly ... the insides are nothing like the '23' Ford pickup ... however with all the metric Japanese nuts and bolts and engineered structure ... guess what ... its still a Ford 1/2 ton pickup.

My miroku says Winchester on the barrel, it carry's a 30 inch barrel, chambered in 45-70 and has a killer curved butt that has to be fired like the original 1923 model. Same weight to a few ounces, points the same and shoots very similar to the '23' model ... yet yes the insides have modern updates and stronger steel.

Still a Winchester to me ... srry for the windy response. Get weary of the constant reminders and look downs on our modern high wall rifles.

If you want NEW hiwall rifle ... they are still made in the "old" manner and style ... called C Sharps or Uberti or Pedersoli ... NOT Winchester! These are COPY's of Winchesters ... not Winchesters!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Get weary of the constant reminders and look downs on our modern high wall rifles.

Don't remember anyone "looking down on" or in any way maligning the new design Winchester/Brownings and in fact I think the exact opposite has been true. But let's face it the fact is it would be considered kind of silly to look at a brand new 2019 F-150 and comment on the genius of Henry Ford yet we often see this modern Japanese built new design being attributed to John Browning! The rifles are simply different but because of a model number they often get discussed with the originals as if they are the same thing when they are not, not even close. This really does matter because while those of us who are familiar with these rifles know they are radically different some folks not so well acquainted with them don't.

The original 1885 is a classic rifle in every sense and there are modern manufacturers who stay true to the classic design, Miroku does not and is a completely new and highly refined thoroughly modern action that shares only a passing resemblance with an original. Again, you and I and most folks who know these rifles are well aware of this but some others are not as evidenced by past comments not only on this site but others as well. What I don't get is why some get so defensive when it's pointed out that the Miroku rifles are in fact a completely new design and are a rather stark departure from the originals, they are what they are and that is extremely well made and very high quality rifles in every respect but they are not even close to being like an original 1885.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

^^^^Amen^^^^
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Skeetx. hope I got your handle right. I also had almost given up on my Ruger #1 due to the fact my barrel slugs out at .459 and I thought I was the only one with this problem. My Lyman gas checked mould struggles to cast a .459 diameter bullet. So looks like I'm gonna go mould shopping. Accurate molds is going to get a call from me for a fatter 45-70 bullet. Haven't shot that rifle in years, due to the poor accuracy. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Master

Almost Skeettx

Yes, a correct mould will fill the bill,
    You could lap out a Lee mold or some other
    brand to give you 460 or 461 and give it a try
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Yes I get that. Prolly lack of sleep and poor judgment on my part. Of coarse these are a different animal and easy for me to forget folks do not know the difference between the two.

Thankyou friend, for keeping this old fart aware of everybody.

Boolit Master
    Too darn hot to do any casting right now. Got the whole house generator installed and test run, now waiting for the propane company to install the tank. Weed whacker time. Plan B when the old gas powered 6kw gen developed a gas leak and rope broke had it sent out to get fixed. So regardless if Dorian heads towards Louisiana at least I'll have some lights and the food won't go bad. Still I did stock up on spam, peanut butter,tuna fish, and other goodies. As the man said "prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck to those in the path of Dorian. Stay safe. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12