Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question about cast bullets in 44 mag

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Your profile shows you are from New York. To me that means you will be hunting big northern deer.
    A big advantage cast has over jacketed is that cast boolits can be made of alloys harder than dead soft. Jacketed bullets cores, except in very few cases, are dead soft lead. This is required by the swaging process by which the bullets are made. A cast boolit can made from harder alloys that will be less likely to deform as much on impact and passage through a deer, and therefore more likely to exit.
    This gives two holes to let blood out and air in, resulting in an easier track (if necessary) and a more likely recovery. Give cast boolits a try in your gun.
    Before you commit to buying a mould, go to the area of this site "The Commercial Sector". Within it are the sub-forums "Swappin and Sellin" and "Pay it Forward". Within either or both of these sub-forums you should be able to get a few different boolits to try before buying a mould.
    In fact, I have the 265gr Ranch Dog mould. Message me with your physical address and I will send you some under the pay it forward rules. I have a .430 sizer and lube with Lee liquid Alox. I can send them to you thus treated or as cast.
    Jeffrey
    What he said! Plus, those perfect broadside shots are great, especially for TV hunting shows. But when the truth is told and the buck is a real wall hanger that is giving you a decent quartering shot, most hunters are going to take it. That could mean 3' of needed penetration and just like Jeffery said, a dead soft handgun bullet with a soft lead core will parachute and "probably" stop leaving a smaller entrance hole.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I recently bought a used Tarus .357 model 608 61/2" ported barrel. HOWEVER, ONLY 51/2" ARE RIFLED. THE LAST 1" UNDER THE PORTING IS A MILLED OUT CHAMBER. I don't know whether this is factory or not. (if I had noticed this I may not have bought it). I don't think I have to worry about leading the ports. Carbon build up in the chamber but not leading. Also I just added a post seeking help with bore diameter. PLEASE read it and help. thanks. 71 YRS. AND STILL LEARNING!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Keith liked cast bullets, so that is a pretty good recommendation from a guy who knew his stuff. I understand also that jacket metal can in time wear more on a gun's bore than a cast lead bullet will.

Quote Originally Posted by catkiller45 View Post
    Just getting into deer hunting withmy 44..6.5 in barrel.
    Now tell me honestly..Would I be better using cast bullets
    or jacketed bullets..Be using open sights as well...or maybe
    you can refer me to a place with more information on this..
    thank you..john
    I have probably killed at least three dozen deer with .44 mags. Most have been with 240 JHP's but quite a few with Keith style hard cast 245 grain. Most of the JHP's were recovered in the deer but the cast bullets exited from ANY angle fired. I have had bang flops with both bullet types and had some 50 yard runs with both types. As long as you stay away from the lightweight JHP's you will be fine with either bullet you choose. Interestingly the longest shot I ever made on a deer was with a Ruger SBK with a 4 5/8" barrel using a hard cast SWC over 21 grains of 2400. It was 110 paces. Dropped in its tracks. I shouldn't have tried to make that shot but I was young and "lucky" at the time.

All good reading and appreciated..decided on the 255 gr lswc from G T Bullets..Why,hell I have no idea,they looked good I guess..Thinking of using black powder in my loads..NO not really..All I have here is unique..Maybe tomorrow I will get some red dot or 2400..Don't want a lot of powder being around..Also
    thinking I might try some loads with the Trail Boss..I have a little left from my 4570 loading days..I doubt I will get a shot any farther than may 60 yards where I hunt in the woods..I used to make tons of cast bullets yrs ago..Sold all my molds and alloy to a guy in NJ..He bought it all..Must have had about 3 ton of alloy..Only thing I ever hunted with cast were small game with my old 223 with gas checks..

On other question for you old timers out there..Ever try widening the notch in your rear sight to see the from one more clear..Also thinking of using one of those Fast Fire red dot things..Something to think about anyway.Again thanks for all your input on the subject..John
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123