Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new Rolling Block Project.

Boolit Buddy
    It is time to prepare the 2nd lot of 50 cases. I bought a Lyman long neck size die and ran them through that instead of the sizer I made with the chamber reamer. Well thats all I needed to do. The cases fit perfectly with no further work. If I had thought of that before I could have saved a lot of time and effort.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought I would drop this in. Where I do my testing. Nice bit of shade but later when I go to 200 I will be out on the main range, no shade there.
    Its been 35 *C nearly everyday and bush fires all around us. You can see the smoke haze.

range shot by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]

Boolit Buddy
    May be of interest. These cartridges are nearly 4 inches long and I have been trying to find a box for them.
    Then by chance I saw the boxes I use for my wifes 6.5-284. They looked pretty tall. Case Guard MTM H50.
    I couldnot use them for the 45,s but the 405 Winchester rim fits in them OK. However they would not go right down so I pulled out the black bit and saw that there were ribs inside stopping it. Out with the Dremmel and die grinder to drop the ribs an inch . The black bit with the holes sits an inch lower now and these cases fit right in. A bit of foam holds the bullets from moving.
    I have 4 of these and as my wife does not shoot any more I guess I can use them. I just dont like that plastic hinge system much though.

rebarrel rolling block 09 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]

https://www.bing.com/search?q=lunch+...349743fd79e619

I used one of these( I had a old tin ) when I shot a .45-120-3 1/4, I cut a oak board and drilled holes that match the rim with a planter bit. If a needed a bunch of rounds I put a foam on top of the rounds and put a second layer. The lunch pail makes a good ammo box for any length cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Looks better than a green plastic box too. I have not seen any over here , must look around.
    Chrony results.
    Wano PP 80 grains 1283 to 1353 fps
    Wano FF 80 grains 1262 1334
    Swiss FF 80 grains 1384 1421

I am trying to get a load going with the Wano PP as its easier to get. Save the Swiss for my 45-70.

Have you decided on the final metal finish yet ?

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Nah, want to see if its a winner first.
    Quite like it in the white

Boolit Buddy
    I had some slight stock movement I wanted to get rid of. I bedded the tangs and front where it butts on to the receiver and put a through bolt in the stock that attaches to the tang screw. One of Mr Single Shots ideas.
    All is now tight.
    rebarrel rolling block 10 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Just thought I would drop this in. Where I do my testing. Nice bit of shade but later when I go to 200 I will be out on the main range, no shade there.
    Its been 35 *C nearly everyday and bush fires all around us. You can see the smoke haze.

range shot by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]
    That looks like Bluff????
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    Bluff???. The only Bluff I know is down the bottom of New Zealand. I certainly dont live there.
    Or did you mean Bluff, as in calling ones Bluff?
    Still trying loads. Swiss FF which I only have 3 KG of. Wano FF, Wano PP and Wano P all of which I can buy more of.
    One day I think I have it, The next another is better. I am just getting confused.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    As in Bluff, between Blackwater and Dingo, on the Capricorn Hwy.

And out of curiosity, where did you get your Swiss? I have not seen any in Australia in ages, although, I have not been shooting much in the way of BPCR.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    No. I shoot at the Kilkivan range.
    I can not remember where I got the Swiss from. Three of us from here shot in the 2006 World Creedmoor match in Brisbane and we bought our Swiss before then. Some is in the plastic kilo bottle and some in the card rolled container.
    I think you can buy it in South Australia as I believe Forbes is the importer. Might be wrong though.

Boolit Buddy
    I have decided to go with Wano P. The other powders are faster but this is only for mid range. I have my 45-70 PP for long range.
    Nothing to write home about yet but 77 or 78 grains seem to be fairly consistant. I put the slug in the mould backwards and marked the start of the ogive. Thats what I have been patching to. I use the same 1 inch wide patch I use for the 45-70. The patches come off right in front of the bench but the front 10th of an inch is uncut along with the back that is folded under. I tried some of these with a 10th shorter but cant see much difference except I got a few strands of lead. These were the last of my boolits so only shot 3 shot groups. Just bought more 1 to 16 ingots from the foundry in Brisbane so can cast up some more.
    I am still shooting at my 130 yard range in the photo.
    rebarrel rolling block 11 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05

Cool ... looks like she is comin along.

Boolit Buddy

I think its me

Yesterday using that same load of 77 grains of Wano P , .060 Poly wad , compressed a bit to leave .175 then a .030 card on top gave me this group.

rebarrel rolling block 13 by rebarrel rolling block 12 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/

Today I shot the same load in No 1 then 78 in 2 and 3 then back to the same load in 4 as No1 again. All with the same sight setting. Why the difference in shot placement? Perhaps it barrel heating or just me not holding right.

That No 2 load with the vertical, perhaps I should work on that with a bit more compression.
    Should I just compress more and add card wads, or add more powder and keep the compression depth the same?
    Last edited by Keith; 11-30-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been getting the odd day in back on the range, but my groups are not improving. One day 1.5 mins, the next over 2 mins with the same load. I am trying to be consistant with my hold but something is changing. The rifle is only 11 pounds and the barrel is 1 inch across the flats.
    I have noticed that there appears to be a slight tight spot a couple of inches from the muzzle. I can feel the patch hesitating just before it pops out. What affect would this have?
    I am thinking of turning up a pin gauge to check.
    The barrel is 34 inches long so I can cut a couple off if need be.

Boolit Master
    Hi, beautiful project.
    I also have a rolling block action in the works, but it is at the bottom of a long list of projects. I enjoy seeing your project.
    I am working up loads for a .31 cal muzzleloader with oversize .30 cal rifle bullets.
    40gr. FFFg and I been getting fouling near the muzzle, sounds like a similar fouling as you mention.
    My belief is its running out of lube near the muzzle. I am now in process of different lube, different lube groove bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I would try a little more compression, you can add a wad or another grain of powder or 2. With paper patched bullets paper thickness can make a difference as can the length of the patch I like the wrap to end 1/32 ) .030 or just a little more short of the start, this allows for the slight radius in the over wrap formed going over the start.

How does the patched bullet fit the bore. You might try a slightly thicker or thinner paper. It can make a big difference.

Another thing to try ( this improved my loads a lot) when you cut your patches cut them from ogive to end of fold over so a small section of the bullets base still shows a circle of lead .050 -.090 in the center. This makes a much flatter base

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a bigger BACO mould. It is a bit tighter in the case and bore now. I forgot to mention for the New Year , I thought I would try Swiss. I only have 3 Kilos left. Bought it nearly 20 yrs ago.
    The same volume that gives me 77 grns of Wano P gives me 84 grns of Swiss 2F.
    Earlier in the month I did a test with 83, 84 and 85 grns. I have stuck with 84 as the load but still cant get consistant results.
    I am wiping with 3 damp and two dry patches. I made up some bore wombats with a brush and a felt each end but they dont look anything like taking the fouling out so I will stick with patches for the time being untill I get it sorted.
    I put a bullet in the mould backwards, scribed a mark on the nose. Set my calipers to that and use the jaws to scribe a mark on each bullet. Thats where I patch too.My paper cutter does not always cut parallel so the exposed lead on the base might vary a bit. I did not think its such a big deal.

rebarrel rolling block 14 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/

Boolit Grand Master

Use thin piece of metal, brass, aluminum, steel, even Plexiglas will work. Make a template of you patch length height and length with end angles. Use this to cut your patches. set 1-5 sheets on board set temple down and cut around with razor knife ( xacto), This will make very uniform patches. A paper cutter will do a wonderful job also. Mine is a rolling cutter with a adjustable so[ on outside of the blade and a triangle guide on the back. St front outside guide to cut strips to width. then use double faced tape to hold angle guide down. set outside guide to cut length and line up strips and cut angle on one end push thru to stop and cut keep cutting till strips are finished. This will cut a bunch of patches. accurately and quickly. write the measurements down for each caliber and bullet. A simple cutting board with a rail down one side 14" X 18" of a soft wood will extend blade life, allow push pins to be used to hold the stack of paper securely, and free up a hand for cutting. The rail helps hold the paper in alignment, trues the template to the paper. and does help hold the paper in place with the 2 push pins. The template is the original way of cutting patches. the template can be made with a hacksaw and file easily. Tin snips will cut the material but may need to be flattened after. Cut big and file to size. .060 60 .125 thick will work but the .125 you may want to bevel edges to this edges down. The cutting board can be made from wood or a cutting board can be made to work also.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast