RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting whitetails with cast in a .41

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Another 41 mag hunter. We like the 240-265 grain range of slugs just because we like heavy for caliber in whatever we shoot. With those 900-950 fps is all we need for complete penetration from all angles we have shot. Never recovered a slug.
    We also use the slowest burn rate powder that accurately gets us to velocity. So 2400 and slower powders is where we settle. 1680 is the slowest we get. We use a Dan Wesson or Rugers. Never took the 57's out hunting for corn crunchers.
    50-50 plus some tin is also our mix. Range scrap and WW are free if you look around. The tin we may add 1%. Just enough to get good fill out in the old. Take a slug that was cast two weeks old and smack the nose with a 3 pound hammer. pretty good test to know what it will do on bone.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I started using a .41 in 1980? and have never left. Of the deer I have shot two were with a jhp all the rest were cast. The biggest holes were with a 255 gr WLN with a .331 meplat. I used the same on a 250 lb ish boar and all holes have been in the 1" range. The bullet was going about 1300. I have used two different Keiths styles, 240 gr SWC, and hp and cup points --placed right they all work. Now a days they are all PC'd. I now have a 16.5" Henry .41 and took a doe at 80 ish yards, with a pc'd cast cup point. With all that has been said in this thread, you can not go wrong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12