RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning ~ A-Bolt Stalker ~ 12 Ga.

I have a friend named Glenn. He is a poor shot with any rifle or shotgun I have seen him shoot.
    He bought a Browning A bolt slug 12 ga. Slug gun and a new bolt rifle in 26 Nosler and neither made him a better shot. The Browning is a nice gun but much heavier than I would carry.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I wonder why all these guns are built with 3" Chambers when there is so many heavy 2 3/4" loads out there. The Factories have to know that this degrades accuracy in what is essentially a 12 ga Rifle. I see no significant reason to go to 3" loads unless you are going to shoot a Cape Buffalo or something that big and strong. Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum 2 3/4" Slugs (1 1/4 oz 1476 fps ) are just short of 3" Black Magic 3" slugs (1 3/8 oz 1502 fps) or the most powerful Magnum Crush Slugs (1 1/2 oz 1604 fps) the latter two being good for anything on earth and the 2 3/4" slug rated for everything up to all but the biggest game.

Point being there is enough power available in just about any 2 3/4" slug to take anything in NA, and we can load these with either Home Made Slugs like the Russian ones or slugs like the Gualandi Thunderbolt (1 3/8 oz) from BPI if you don't cast. And yet the vast majority of 12 ga Slug Guns are 3" chambered? Do they think you will need more power?

But the back side of this is,,, anyone who thinks they are going to shoot more than 1 of those Brenneke 1 1/2 slugs at 1600 fps is not playing with a full deck and will have even less cards to play with after they touch one off. 1 3/8 oz = 600 gr, and 1 1/2 oz is 655 gr! The big one has 3804 ft lbs of ME and a TKO of 110 !!!!! This is 1.6 times the TKO of a .458 WM. Then you're going to shoot it out of a 7-8 lb gun? Dude, you're really not thinking strait.

Thus my point is, "Why all the 3" Magnum Chambers?" When nobody is going to be able to use them effectively?

I have to order some RIO 3" primed hulls from BPI and see what differences I can see in accuracy between shooting 2 3/4" and 3" shells in the same gun. RD did some testing and there appears to be some significant differences. My own testing between the same rounds ran in my 2 3/4 A5 versus the 3" M500, both with rifled barrels and the same ammo showed a huge difference in accuracy. The A5 groups were great and the M500 groups looked like 3/4" buckshot!

I will inquire at the Savage Booth next year at SHOT as to why these guns have 3" chambers?

Randy
    Randy, your point regarding the recoil is well taken. The area I hunt was shotgun-only for decades, then they allowed muzzleloaders, and then handguns. Finally, about 10 years ago rifles were allowed on a county by county basis. Finally! I switched from shotguns as soon as I could, choosing a .50 Hawken, then a T/C Contender .44 mag. No, the T/C DID NOT recoil more than the shotgun. Today I've gone back to shotguns, largely because I've learned to load good, accurate, low recoil ammo for them largely because of what I've learned here at Cast Boolits.

I run the running deer target at our club's annual Deer Shoot. Of the fellows that still use shotguns, about 20 % of them use 3" magnum deer slugs. I do not understand why anyone would put themselves through that! Not for me. I shoot a 1 oz. RB @ 1300 fps and that kills deer way out at 100 yds., and that's 3 times further than I need to shoot! I cringe when people start talking about 1-1/2 or 2 oz. slugs....UGH!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    The commercial slugs in 2 3/4" & 3" that I shoot are the same specs, just more spacers. They are the same velocity & recoil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12