RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 750 press

Boolit Bub

Dillon 750 press

I was thinking about getting one of these presses and was just wondering when I load 223 how you can decal and size the neck case on station 1.I understand that part but was wondering about the case lengths getting bigger and how you know your still within specs.What if you have to trim your cases?You can’t really go on to station 2 if your cases are long.Just wondering how you guys go about loading on one of these as it applies to 223.Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I do rifle cases in 2 steps - 1st one preparation :decap, size and trim (have dillon trimmer mounted on "short" head) and then on 2nd step all remaining ops: prime, charge, bullet seat and crimp.

Boolit Grand Master

I deprime with a hand tool off press so that pockets get cleaned also. clean. measure length trim if needed and then fill the case hopper on my 650. I use mostly bushing dies so stretch is less in press and brass isn't worked near as hard.

The other option is to measure brass before and give the trimming if its close. Measure a few fired cases 10-20 and size then remeasure and see what they grew, this fives you a number to know if fired cases need trimmed. Get the 20 case average then the 20 case average of the sized cases subtract the difference from max case length number. this should get you very close to knowing.

If you use a trimmer with a pilot you may want to have a pilot made to fit your fired cases neck dia. The ones for sized cases may be a little small

Two passes, size/deprime and trim on the first and load on the 2nd.

. An extra tool head and their trimmer makes short work of it.

That said a 1050 is a better mouse trap because it swages as part of the loading process, I only use the 650 to size/trim and load with a 1050 for that reason.

You can measure some and still have out of spec stuff get by or just run everything through so you know every case is correct before your start loading. If your just plinking it might not matter, if you are shooting timed competition, your going to figure out quickly a malfunction messes up your day.

Boolit Buddy
    Same with me,
    I use a 1050 to process, 'Universal' decapping die, swage the crimp, then size/trim.

If your cases aren't swaged, don't try to do them on a 650 or 750, no backer die/rod in the case so the swage won't be complete and all you will do is put excessive side loading on the shell plate/head on the press.

If you want anywhere near SAAMI specification rounds, the brass will have to make two passes through the machine.
    The first is size/trim (room on tool head when you aren't charging, seating, crimping, etc) THEN with a 650/750 you swage now that the primer is gone,
    The second pass is with the loading tools, primers, powder, powder check, seater, crimp.

Both size/trim and loading is fast, while swaging the crimp is still one at a time, single process.
    Swaging only has to be done ONCE, and that's a bright spot!
    If they have been processed before, you run them through processing, then slap the loading head in and run them again and again until they crack...

When you are going to trim brass, don't UNDERSIZE the brass in the sizing/decapping die.
    Leave some shoulder sticking up for the trim die to get ahold of, the trim die WILL finish size the shoulder.
    If the brass is undersized, it will spin in the trim die, you will wind up with a saw tooth/gouged mouth.

Boolit Bub
    So if I want to decap,size trim and measure in the first step that just means station 1 is really used for nothing right?Would I just put the cases in the case feeder as normal and just leave the decamping,sizing die out if I want to go that route?

Boolit Bub
    I forgot to say that I would deprime,size,trim on a Lyman turret press I have then I would swage.I guess my question now is after all that what do I do with station one on the Dillon?Leave it empty?Surely I don’t want to size the case twice,lol.

Boolit Bub
    I was at dillons on Friday and look at the 750 . I think I will be selling my 550 and 650 and up grading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbt5050 View Post
    I was at dillons on Friday and look at the 750 . I think I will be selling my 550 and 650 and up grading.
    I'll give ya $100 for your old obsolete 650.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Like most I have only seen pics of the 750. What did Dillon improve on the 750 verse the 650?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Like most I have only seen pics of the 750. What did Dillon improve on the 750 verse the 650?
    They increased the size capacity of what cases can be loaded, You can now load up to 338 Lapua Magnum on a 750. Could not load that caliber on a 650.

They went from the rotating priming disc, to a sliding primer feed like the 550 has.

They also changed something to make the rotation of the shell plate smoother, to decrease powder spillage.

I think the rest stayed the same.

Boolit Grand Master

The size increase is interesting and it's possible I will get one for that aspect but the sliding primer system doesn't interest me at all. IMHO that is the weak point of my 1050's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    100.00 ,that much.

Boolit Master

100.00 ,that much.
    Well it is obsolete.
    NRA Benefactor.

I still have a 550b, what's happening with the NBS warranty?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I still have a 550b, what's happening with the NBS warranty?
    As far as I know, nothing. NO BS warranty is still good on everything they offer it on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The size increase is interesting and it's possible I will get one for that aspect but the sliding primer system doesn't interest me at all. IMHO that is the weak point of my 1050's.
    ??? I would say the powder drop assembly. JMO

Boolit Grand Master

That is the same system used on all the Dillon machines. They respond very well to tuning and upgrades.

When I set the machines up I do all the mods below. When complete they work very well.

I do a very light polish to the powder bars and measure. Just enough to remove any burrs or high spots.

I much prefer the old style measure with the two return springs. I convert all the new style to the old style. Dillon still has springs.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...version-parts/

works very well with fine ball powder
    http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/...01dqgdu&GID=PD

Knobs are OK but the Uniquetek are way nicer. Just record your mic settings for your powder weights. Very repeatable.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Reaming and polishing the powder funnels is the biggest improvement to stop bridging
    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...provement_Modi

I recommend the bearing kits. Reduces powder spillage.
    http://hitfactorshooting.com/products/products.html

Had a bunch more links for various mods but the links aren't working anymore.

After the mods my Dillon measures will equal my Harrels and Redding BR3 measures. I do agree that stock Dillon powder measure has lots of room for improvement.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-19-2019 at 01:15 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone know the answer to my last question.its my last two comments.any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Russman; 08-21-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Master

You can just leave it empty.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast