Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I HATE this EVIL weed!!

Banned
    Try wearing gloves.

I know a guy that admitted doing this, and he's a banjo player so I don't doubt it. He was trying to impress his friends or a girl or both I don't know, but he ate poison oak, rubbed it all over his body. It about killed him.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I won't say for sure that this worked, but a few years ago while trying to eradicate some other weeds, I discovered what I suspected to be poison ivy. The back of my hand had already made contact before I saw it. I was not too far from my shop so I walked in, grabbed a can of aerosol carb cleaner and liberally sprayed the back of my hand with it. I DID NOT break out in a rash.
    Yes, carcinogens in solvent form will clean that oil right off of you. Kills ring worms, too......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Professional Idiot pictured. Dont try this at home!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Durn yore sorry hide now my eyes are itching!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it might be about 'The Devil's Lettuce'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it might be about 'The Devil's Lettuce'.
    … or Devil's Cabbage
    whew
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I won't say for sure that this worked, but a few years ago while trying to eradicate some other weeds, I discovered what I suspected to be poison ivy. The back of my hand had already made contact before I saw it. I was not too far from my shop so I walked in, grabbed a can of aerosol carb cleaner and liberally sprayed the back of my hand with it. I DID NOT break out in a rash.
    Urushiol oil is what causes the itch, being an oil the solvent in the carb cleaner removed it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I used to be able to not get it either - wonder if "aging" has anything to do with it.

When I was in high school, Dad and I were cutting brush out of a fence row on the farm - was in the fall and weather was misting. We both ended up getting poison sumac sap on us - I had a spot about the size of a quarter on the inside of my left wrist - Dad on his lower arm. It blistered and broke - ended up getting in our blood streams and we were a mess. I lost two weeks of school over it as it spread all over our bodies. Mom would take cotton balls and wipe us down with an aluminum oxide solution (IIRC) that the doctor had the pharmacy make up. We both had steroid shots but it took a long time for it to clear up - we both were a mess.

Seems like no matter how careful a person is about keeping an eye out for the ivy, etc. - you can easily miss it and it doesn't take much. I got poison on both of my hands one time by digging holes and planting fruit trees. d No ivy was visible above ground but I got into some roots of it when I was down pulling loose dirt out of the holes with my bare hands. That time, the Dr. put me on steroid pills of some sort which were supposed to be taken over 7 days. I ended up having terrible leg cramps by the third day and had to stop taking the pills - for me, the steroid shots seemed to take care of it for me much easier as well as quicker.

A friend said when he was a kid, a hundred years ago, a friend of his told a neighbor girl he was immune to poison ivy. He plucked off a leaf, ate it and died....I found out repeatedly, that Kentucky ivy is different than Minnesota's version. I never got it here but got it terrible several times in Ky and needed shots. I always wonder about people were whipping with the garbage all over their body head to foot and not get poison Ivy. Then wash your clothes how to keep the oily residue out of everyone's clothes

Indians killed settlers by piling poison ivy against or near stickers and setting it alight. The smoke is deadly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I got poison on both of my hands one time by digging holes and planting fruit trees. d No ivy was visible above ground but I got into some roots of it when I was down pulling loose dirt out of the holes with my bare hands.

I did the same thing twice! The only difference is that I was digging up broken water pipes both times and pulling the roots with my bare hands, didn't see the evil ivy nearby until two days later while I was in misery and went to see how I had gotten into it. That was the first time and it got me really bad that time too, the second incident was about 10 years later and that time all I did was put my hands into the water to connect the pipe (all the digging was done with a backhoe) and the water must have been contaminated with it. That time all I got was a miserable rash and no swelling so that's why I think it had just gotten into the water where it must have been diluted and weaker.

As if the ivy rash was not enough when I woke up this morning the swelling had reached nearly to my elbow with one finger swollen much worse than yesterday and one area of the blistering was reddened and wet. I immediately went back to the doctor and was told I had gotten a serious infection despite the precaution I had taken to avoid that! I was given an antibiotic and some prescription ointment but was told it would be at least 24 hours before I could expect to see any improvement.

Did I say I absolutely HATE that evil weed???????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Indians killed settlers by piling poison ivy against or near stickers and setting it alight. The smoke is deadly
    Can"t you just imagine what a miserable death that would be?

Boolit Master
    Besides the cortisone shot, they also prescribe prednisone pills which is a steroid. For stuff like poison ivy 7-10 days is usually enough. those folks who have empisyema (yeah I know spelling). take it for no more than 5-6 months or they risk having their bone becoming brittle. Leading to broken bones like ribs and other bones. Frank

Boolit Master

Well the swelling is looking a lot better this morning, she said it should in 24 hours or so and apparently the antibiotic is working as it should but I am still typing with one hand. I guess most of this problem was due to getting the infection since even though poison ivy always caused some swelling in the past this time it was MUCH worse so something else had to be at work. Still it was the evil ivy that caused the problem (along with my negligence while pulling that grass!) so it still gets the blame.

Boolit Master
    Agree as previously stated. Jewel weed works. We locally call it touch me nots locally. It doesn’t work on everyone though. There is nothing better to use for my son and that’s including prescription meds. It does not work for me unfortunately. I cut the stem and rub the juice directly on affected are. The blisters and itch are gone the next day for my son.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I once looked at a picture of poison ivy in an encyclopedia, broke out in a rash the next day.
    Purely psychosomatic!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

I’ve had success, post contact, washing with the Gojo orange hand cleaner/ degreaser. Grabs the oils before they take hold.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

My grandfather could pull it up with his bare hands and never have a problem. His daughter, my mom, swells up if it gets close to her. Had it get into her lungs once, that was terrible. I know I have touched it and not had a reaction, I then intentionally rubbed my bare leg through it once. Nothing. But I still avoid it.

No sense in testing my resistance.

BNE.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I've never had it myself, either, but when I was young I heard about some neighbor kids that got in bad trouble one time. It seems they were not sensitive to it, could touch it without problem, so they had a really mean idea.

There was a rope swing over a creek by a campground. These little brats got some poison ivy, crushed it up real good, and rubbed the juices all over the rope swing just to be cruel to anyone who used it. It turned out for them that just because you're not sensitive to it, doesn't mean the juice won't get you. As I recall they were both seriously ill and had to go to the doctor.
    Last edited by fatelk; 08-18-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Boolit Master

When I was a foolish young man, I and my friend would make the trip from Minneapolis to Brainard, MN on Friday night, camp out and went to the races the next day. One time we got to where we were going to camp well after dark. I got my sleeping bag out and rolled it out and had a good nights sleep. The next morning I woke up to find that I was laying in a patch of Poison Ivy, the worst case I have ever had!

Ken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123