MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Got the mould now need the rifle!

Boolit Buddy

Got the mould now need the rifle!

Gents - I don't post alot, as I'm more of a reader here than anything else. I posted a while back that I bought a 457191 DC, as you just don't see many and it was mint.....and I already had a SC version, but over the years had only seen just a few DC ones. I really didn't need it, more of a case of want than anything else, but it was minty and now has a new home here! Fast forward to this past week, for the better part of 10 or maybe 20 years I had a Lyman top punch #317 sitting around, have no idea where or when I got it. I did use it a few times for some 311291s that I cast, until I finally got a correct one. One of the Lyman Handbooks referenced it for the 321317 mould and that was it, no other moulds that used it. The table I found, shows it to be a 160 gr RNGC style, probably suited for a 32 Win Spl. I don't own a 32 WS, always thought about trying to find one, maybe an older Marlin 336 or pre 64 Win 94, but certainly no need for it. Have plenty of other rifles to do the same thing it would, 30-30's 35 Rems, etc. Well I guess I should have just sold the top punch and be done with it, but the itch needed to be scratched and down the road I now head......I found a very nice 321317 DC on the famous auction site, just took delivery of it today and it's in very nice shape - a quick cleaning and it will look like new. As I type this, I realize that means 32 cal GCs and sizing die, on top of the reloading dies and components.....and the rifle! One small piece of machined metal that I could have sold for 8-10 bucks, is now going to probably cost me well in excess of $500-600! So I thought I'd share my latest mould story - Thanks Bill in MA

I buy molds then buy a gun for them all the time. If there is a caliber that I want to start shooting, first I will look for a good mold, then I will get the dies and brass, then I have no choice but to buy the gun I wanted all along.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I’m the same, and I find that it adds to the eventual enjoyment of the firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good Deali have done this sort of thing several times.I got 2 molds for 45acp at least a year before i finaly got the 1911 i wanted.I hve had a set of dies for 44 mag for several years still wanting a nice older S&W 29 it will get here one day.I look ata it this way.if you have the things to go with the gun like molds and dies it will not be so bad when you buy the gun.You will be ready to load and cast right away with no wait for the rest.Happy shopping hope you find the one you want in awsome shape.

Boolit Grand Master

Mitch if you get one made before you it will be a cap and ball 44. LOL A lot buy the mold dies and accessories before the rifle I have done this occasionally.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been given ammo, then bought the rifle (as in a 338 Win) and had a few other wandering paths to owning a firearm, but this is the first time a small top punch has lead me astray! I'm always open new calibers, but this one is really a stretch. I don't really need another lever gun or any rifle for that matter. It's always fun to play with a "new toy" but the reality is, I don't really need it, but the desire to play with something different is always a challenge! I'll keep you posted in how I make out - Thanks Bill in MA