Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Custom .45 350 grainer?

None
    Whoa, there, Cayoot! I'll be a shill, but not a honcho! <GGG> I do want a 6-cav .460 mold though, so I'm willing to work the pump handle to get things going.

I'd think that if the grooves are wide and deep enough to hold the lube, this could be a multipurpose boolit for black and several white 45s. I think we should be able to come to a consensus on nose design if we find several more of the knowledgable folks to contribute so we can settle on a design.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by grumble
    Whoa, there, Cayoot! I'll be a shill, but not a honcho! .

LOL!!!! Ok Grumble, I thought you were saddling that horse to ride yourself! I didn't know you were just admiring the herd!

Then I'll wait to see if a honcho shows up.
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Thumbs up Gotta Love these group runs!

.460 diameter, gas checked (preferred) or plain based, 350 or so grain weight sounds good to me. You guys can count on me for an order if this one gets up enough steam. Just gotta be able to function through my Marlin Guide Gun is all I ask.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

So, just how many

holes are going to be in this mold?

If it has enough holes and the bigger lube grooves of the second drawing I may well be interested!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

None
    TC, it'll be a 6-holer.

Now that I suckered him in, maybe we can get Dutch to honcho? <snicker-snicker> He did an admirable job on his previous honchoing job, we all gave him rave reviews. Experienced honcho, that's what we need! Go Dutch!!

Signed grumble, shill at large

HONCHO EMERITUS

Unhappy

Now that I suckered him in, maybe we can get Dutch to honcho? <snicker-snicker> He did an admirable job on his previous honchoing job, we all gave him rave reviews. Experienced honcho, that's what we need! Go Dutch!!

Signed grumble, shill at large
    Not to sure about that Grumble. Having me as your "Honcho" on this custom run so close on the heels of the 8mm Custom Fracas may not be the thing to do. I'm sure that there may be more than 1 member out there who believes I mishandled the 8mm run and that may cost you some orders. I'd rather hang back and continue to learn from this site and share in the knowledge here while doing my part to support these group custom runs.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll have to pass.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 12-11-2005 at 09:48 PM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

None
    That was no "fracas," Dutch. That was just one pot-stirrer in action.

Aw, c'mon, please-please-please? <GGG> Y'know what they say, "you ain't rode till you've been throwed?" Well, we got the "good horse" in 45 2.1 (silver tack and all), and you ain't even come close to being throwed yet. But, even if you feel like you've been piled, there's another expression just for you: "ya gotta get right back on!"

See there, gotcha coming and going.

Seriously, if you don't want to do it because of your prior experience with one person, I understand. But, if you will reconsider, I'll do my best to watch your six for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 in reply #7
    Good Horse huh, better have a silver mounted saddle and reins. The 4570 doesn't really need a gas check, but alot of people really lean on her for speed. I like the 350 to 370 gr. weight range for her myself. Here is something to look at.
    I like the design shown in reply #7 in either PB or GC at about 360 grains. Do a PB 1st Qtr 2006 and a GC 2nd Qtr 2006. I want two of each. Lots of applications
    Bob

Banned

Dan-

What of the 3 RCBS weights is your favorite?

I'm really interested in this mold group buy.

Boolit Master
    Pat
    Without question the middle one. IMHO the best boolit ever designed for the modern 45/70. It was my first mold and I still use it. I have about 150 molds now and prolly 20 are for 45 cal rifle. All things considered I dont think it can be improved on.
    BIC/BS

Talking

My preference would be for a pb boolit. After that a gc would be good, but I have some gc molds, not many pbs for the .45-70 though.

Just my $.02 ( actually $.005 after inflation is figgured in)
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

None
    BS-- "the middle one..." Is that the 45 2.1 design? If so, how will the long nose work when used in a revolver?

Cayoot -- Looks like most are opting for the PB version. I'm like you, though, and can swing either way. BTW, your .5 cent's worth would go back to a full 2 cents' worth if you had to buy a GC for it. <G>

Boolit Buddy
    This boolit apears to have morphed a bit from the original posts (from 350 to 400 gr/ hollow point to no HP...... I think). Please refresh my mind on what the current concensis is on this boolit. Just trying to keep everybody on the same page. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    BS-- "the middle one..." Is that the 45 2.1 design? If so, how will the long nose work when used in a revolver?

Cayoot -- Looks like most are opting for the PB version. I'm like you, though, and can swing either way. BTW, your .5 cent's worth would go back to a full 2 cents' worth if you had to buy a GC for it. <G>
    Grumble
    I think we are getting confused. I think Pat was asking me which of the three RCBS I prefered, not which of the drawings submitted. I was saying of the three RCBS weights of the same design I like the middle weight best The 425gn.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback
    This boolit apears to have morphed a bit from the original posts (from 350 to 400 gr/ hollow point to no HP...... I think). Please refresh my mind on what the current concensis is on this boolit. Just trying to keep everybody on the same page. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj .45-70 Feeler 19-Sep, Reply #52
    trk and I are playing with a design. When we get it done, I'll post it. We've missed this hunting season already with Lee's lead time considered, so there is no great hurry.
    The .45-70 Feeler thread is for a HP design. Several contributors to this thread were under impression the mold would be another 6-C which would preclude a HP. When there numbers are removed from the count, it appears those interested in a HP buy are now fewer than 10. When a new drawing is posted, perhaps more will be interested.

This thread appears to be for a 6-C 45-70 .460 dia FN between 350 - 375 grains, PB or GC with details still under discussion.

As I see it, both threads are alive. If you have time to spare, there may be three group buys in 45-70: 1-C HP, 6-C PB and 6-C GC, all FN between 350-375 grains or ???. Jump in and stir the pot.
    Bob
    Last edited by porkchop bob; 12-12-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop
    Grumble
    I think we are getting confused. I think Pat was asking me which of the three RCBS I prefered, not which of the drawings submitted. I was saying of the three RCBS weights of the same design I like the middle weight best The 425gn.
    BIC/BS
    RCBS site - http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu...2=9&s3=83&pg=4 - shows five 45-70 bullets weighing 300, 325, 405, 500 and 500 grains respectfully. I assume the 425 grain is not currently available or not listed there. So I, for one, am confused as I do not understand the question or the answer.
    Bob

Banned

Dan's right. I was refering to RCBS, and the 405 casts out to bout 425gr PC-Bob.

None
    Yep, it IS confusing, and I guess I lost track of the conversations.

I'm easy, though. I want a 6-hole 45-70 boolit weighting about 350 grains. Any of the three designs posted on THIS thread would be acceptable, or another design if it suits the majority.

The way I understand what's been said in the conversation (not the side conversations), most seem to be opting for a PB with wide and deep grooves. If this is duplicating another threrad, maybe we should join forces?

Boolit Master
    I would like a 6 pack mold in .45-70 ~350 grains AND the previously proposed .45-70 HP (single cavity, of course) mold. I just hope they don't need the denero at the same time. I just bought one of the Lee surplused 457-325 mold just to try out the general weight class. I have not had a chance to cast any yet, though.

Doc

Question

I kind of liked the design in post #9. The larger meplat just seems like a better hunting design.

However, I'm interested in what others say about accuracy with the short vs the slightly longer boolit. In this lighter weight, perhaps the slightly longer #7 would work better.

And I must say, I like the idea of a gas check in this lighter weight so I can push my Siamese a little harder than with the 457122.
    Regards,

WE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast