RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Ferderal Aluminum case 9mm not holding the bullet well.

Ferderal Aluminum case 9mm not holding the bullet well.

I am currently having an issue with an RIA 1911 nose dive jamming. That is posted in another thread.
    The issue here is the ammunition I was using yesterday during testing seems to have a problem.
    I was using Federal 115gr 9mm FMJ aluminum cases brand new from the factory. When one of these does the nose dive and I clear the gun, the bullet is being pushed substantially deeper into the case. Sometimes as much as .135 inches. The average being about .060 inches.
    My reloads with either bullets or cast does not do that.
    This is going to cause an over pressure issue. I am just not certain how much. I am not going to shoot these shortened bullets and will pull them apart but this is an issue that I believe is specific to this particular case. It appears the aluminum case doesn't hold the bullets as well as brass does.

My point being, if you are using this ammunition and have a jam of some sort, make sure to check the cartridge to see if it has been shortened to a dangerous degree.

Vendor Sponsor

You are correct. DO NOT fire a live round that has suffered bullet setback! 9mm and 40 are the two worst calibers for setback related events because they both operate at such high pressure. Standard 9mm pressure is 35kpsi that is almost 44 magnum pressure!

Setback as little as .010" can cause pressure to skyrocket in the 9mm, very easily reaching 60kpsi if the load is already at max.

I would contact Federal, you may have a dangerous lot of ammo and they may send you a voucher for another box, but I would not buy the same ammo over again.

As far as the nose dive, I would try different magazines, and also with a fully loaded mag, depress the bullet part of the stack and see how sharply the spring pushes all the rounds back up. If that's not strong, there is your problem.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree. Do not shoot them.

Good that you found the problem and are smart enough to know better!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am currently having an issue with an RIA 1911 nose dive jamming. That is posted in another thread.
    The issue here is the ammunition I was using yesterday during testing seems to have a problem.
    I was using Federal 115gr 9mm FMJ aluminum cases brand new from the factory. When one of these does the nose dive and I clear the gun, the bullet is being pushed substantially deeper into the case. Sometimes as much as .135 inches. The average being about .060 inches.
    My reloads with either bullets or cast does not do that.
    This is going to cause an over pressure issue. I am just not certain how much. I am not going to shoot these shortened bullets and will pull them apart but this is an issue that I believe is specific to this particular case. It appears the aluminum case doesn't hold the bullets as well as brass does.

My point being, if you are using this ammunition and have a jam of some sort, make sure to check the cartridge to see if it has been shortened to a dangerous degree.
    I don't think the aluminum grips the bullet as well either.
    Any jam in an auto with them the cartridge should be looked over carefully , you did good.
    I have had aluminum blazer 38s jump crimp in my LCR a time or two . Have not seen this in heavier revolvers with the same ammo.

Boolit Master

If you have that many rounds like that, you could use a bullet puller. Hit them hard enough to bring the bullet out of the case some but not enough knock it loose, then run it through seating die again.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck
    Not cheap just thrifty!

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    If you have that many rounds like that, you could use a bullet puller. Hit them hard enough to bring the bullet out of the case some but not enough knock it loose, then run it through seating die again. Just my two cents worth. Good luck
    Worth a try. I will check that out.

Or for the ones you did not use yet run them in the die to tight up the case see if that would help. Beside what is stated.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I ran into the same problem when I first tried to reload some WW II steel cased .45acp many moons ago. It felt fine the day I reloaded it but 2 o3 days later, you could rotate the bullet in the case. I have never tried aluminum cases and I am following this for education purposes.

Boolit Master
    I have no confidence in repairing the ones with bullet pushed back .
    And wonder how much time it's worth when you can buy new 9s for .18 each.
    At the most I would pull the bullets to save and pitch the cases.
    Shoot the ones undamaged in something that feeds smoother.

Boolit Master

I have that same pistol.

Wilson mags solved the nosedive problem.

I tried three different mag brands before I bit the bullet and bought the Wilson mags.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I pulled an assortment of a couple hundred miscellaneous pistol rounds just yesterday. Aluminum ammo doesn’t grip bullets well at all. Steel cases hold better but brass grips way better than steel or aluminum. I’ve found a lot of aluminum case 45 acp ammo with pushed in jacketed bullets. For a buck less per box I don’t see aluminum case ammo as a good deal, especially for a reloader.

Boolit Master

I haven't tried any aluminum in my 1911's. There is a local who reloads aluminum 2 times with what he calls light loads. I think he's playing with fire.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I haven't tried any aluminum in my 1911's. There is a local who reloads aluminum 2 times with what he calls light loads. I think he's playing with fire.
    You probably not get hurt with a revolver , but I wouldn't trust them in an auto.
    I have to ask myself why ? I have only seen aluminum in calibers that brass is common.

The aluminum case 9mm I purchased were a one off for me. I needed some ammo and this stuff was the only 9mm the store had on the shelf at the time.
    I was using it up as test ammo for the new pistol. I will not purchase any aluminum case ammo again.
    Burnt Fingers suggested using Wilson Combat magazines to cure my nose diving problem. I found a couple at a local gun shop and tried them out today. They worked perfectly.
    The Wilson mag has a small feed ramp built into the top, front of the mag which prevents a nose dive quite nicely.
    I loaded these mags up either full or with 9 rounds and fired two or three out of each mag repeatedly and had no failures at all.

Boolit Master
    That's great ! Glad the mags worked .
    I have shot aluminum in several calibers , the only problem I have noticed was in a revolver .
    But you could sure get some bullet set back in an auto and not know it until to late.
    I won't buy any more either..