Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: dumb phone dillema

Boolit Buddy

dumb phone dillema

I finally wrecked my current dumb phone. wife called Verizon and was told no more dumb phones.
    she has an I phone 5 right now. wondering what to get. new one for her and her old one for me?
    I don't want anything big as I usually carry in my pocket and hers fits. rather not get expensive one as I wreck everything.
    what you guys think?
    thanks Jeff

In Remembrance

I now have a iPhone 6s and absolutely hate that thing, my 5c was a lot better phone in my opinion.
    Last edited by lead-1; 08-16-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: corrected phone model numbers

Boolit Master

I have a 6s and it's a good phone. My boss dropped his in a lake so the company sent him the newest version and he hates it. He told me I should hang on to my 6s as long as I can.

I don't understand people who get new phones every year. I'd use my old one that I'm used to for a decade if I could. It always gets me; city folks talking about saving the environment, but always out buying the latest and greatest electronics every month, replacing phones and TVs and such, and scrapping perfectly good equipment.

Banned
    Get the latest iPhone version you can afford.
    Apple has an underhanded way of slowing older phones down with successive updates to the point the user is persuaded to buy a newer model out of frustration.
    Apple gets away with it via the “obsolescence” defense.
    Forewarned is forearmed.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master

If I was buying my own phone, I don't think I'd get an iPhone. I'd buy something like what my wife has, a Motorola of some sort.

It seems to me that the latest and greatest, high tech stuff with all the bells and whistles is aimed primarily at the millennials who live on their phones. They love technology for technology's sake, and have every "app" possible on their phones. I know one guy who uses his phone to have fast food delivered. It costs him an arm and a leg for that Big Mac when he could have walked across the street to Mcdonalds, but hey, technology...

If you're like me and just use technology for whatever practical benefits suit you, and those are fairly minimal, you can save a lot of money by buying a cheaper phone.

Boolit Buddy
    flip phones, dumb phones whatever you want to call them are still out there and available from ALL of the major carriers. Techno weeny sales people are not your friend. Be aware the carriers disable phone features so that you will be forced into upgrades. I like simple and pay less than $5 per month since my phone is for emergency use only. Check out pay as you go plans there are lots of options.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    flip phones, dumb phones whatever you want to call them are still out there and available from ALL of the major carriers. Techno weeny sales people are not your friend. Be aware the carriers disable phone features so that you will be forced into upgrades. I like simple and pay less than $5 per month since my phone is for emergency use only. Check out pay as you go plans there are lots of options.
    what he said ^^^
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

My phone is provided by work, but my wife and two teenagers are on Republic wireless. We have to buy the phones, but the total bill for all three is $50 per month.

The kids’ phones are $15/month each, unlimited talk and text. They are smart phones but data is WiFi only.

If you want another flip phone, there are probably thousands of used ones around. I think I have several laying around that worked fine when we stopped using them. I’d probably still be using one if they hadn’t made me go to iPhones.

Boolit Master
    According to my boys get a Samsung and be happy... I went from dumb to smart as my flip phone was not upgradable to meet the current systems. In hindsite is should have done it long ago.

+1 on the pay as you go... I can walk away at any time

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flip phone.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	246755

I have this phone is you want it. Just pay postage. It is almost new and has the charger, box, paperwork and new battery. May be able to find another spare battery if I search around.

Boolit Master

No such thing as "dumb" phone IMHO, just regular phones when they were what they were, not some antonyms to "smart" phones...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Dumb phones still exist but they are 90s technology. I finally gave in a few years ago when I could not find a dumb phone with a reasonably sized keyboard. Luckily I dropped it when my work provided an iPhone.

I would not get an iPhone if I had the choice. They are overpriced and proprietary. I went through cricket and bought a LG for $40. The biggest downside to smartphones is the plans cost about $40/mo on the cheap end.

Good luck, but prepare to be disappointed.

Boolit Buddy
    Wife and I just upgraded from dumb to smart. Consumer Cellular had a deal on iphone 6s, $150 per phone, we bought two,they are a nice sized phone that fit neatly in the pocket if you like that way of carrying,maybe a bit larger than a i5. way more features that I need but,you would be surprised after you have those features how convenient they are at times. 2 phones shared plan 250 min talk and unlimited text, 250 MB of data which we seldom use ,unless we are camping, bill comes to $35 month + taxes and all the fees they add on. My son runs his business with 6 employees and each has a phone just like this. Consumer Cellular has a wide variety of plans check them out.

Boolit Master
    a doro phone is for seiners large numbers on the pad and screen in black and white, I have a new it&t. it is a hunk of junk can not read the screen it is in light and lighter color on the screen. need a past word to check messages have to take a trip around the moon to return a call. went back to the store said I want a simple phone got laughed at.

Boolit Master

PM sent at 11:40 AM mountain time.
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flip phone.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	246755

I have this phone is you want it. Just pay postage. It is almost new and has the charger, box, paperwork and new battery. May be able to find another spare battery if I search around.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    PM sent at 11:40 AM mountain time.
    to me? cant find it