MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I got a notice today....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I wonder if I don't get my enhanced drivers license being I don't have a passport how they can mandate I serve Federal jury duty. Can't serve if I'm not allowed in a Federal building. It's a real hassle to get to Fed court might be as far as NYC & who wants to go there?
    Putnam County is in the Southern District of New York, so potential court house locations are Manhattan or White Plains. My guess is jurors for the White Plains court house are probably pulled from the counties outside of NYC, but that's just a guess. It would seem to me they have enough population to pull from in Manhattan and the Bronx to fill juries.

As for not being able to enter the courthouse without an enhanced driver's license - that's funny. If you get called - let us know how that works...after they let you out and you get access to the internet again.

I guess under that theory a defendant on bond would have an excuse. How about the defense attorney?, the clerks?, the court reporter.....?

And BTW, I know you were just joking.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Got called for one before my back went, murder case where the dude beat his GF to death with a baseball bat. When they questioned me I said "Beat him to death with the same bat" dismissed! Got called after that and my doc did a note to the court. I can't sit for more than an hour or so with my bad back...

Boolit Master
    If you live in Pueblo county in Colorado it is guaranteed you'll get called every year. And yes you will get picked.

Boolit Buddy

I get called every year. Every year, the defense attorney rejects me
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
    I get called every year. Every year, the defense attorney rejects me
    You need to learn how to infiltrate those juries.

Boolit Master

I got called for jury duty only once. The jury was picked before they got to me, I had no interview and was sent home and haven't ever been called since.
    My wife has been called more times than I can remember and served 6-7 times.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    The first time I was called was in Eufaula, and I disregard the notice. I got another saying that if I didn't show up the guys in the brown cars will come and get me. I complied, and was selected for the grand jury. That was a hoot!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    With a majority of the people NOT wanting to serve on a jury, I wonder why they didn't let me volunteer for more????
    I would think they would NOT want someone who DOESN'T want to be there.
    Then again, I wouldn't put it pass some people, who would go there just to sabotage the process.
    We just had a big trial that I really wanted to be called for.
    Friends joked that I would have been purfect for it.
    Same people have three more trials to go, so I might still have a chance.

Last time that I was called up, we were all sitting there as the lawyers came in. The defense attorney looked toward the group, singled me out and dismissed me..The prosecutor's turn was next as I was leaving. I suppose that I seemed too eager to serve.... They don't call anymore at 84 years old.

Ma Dad hated being called, and he'd have this big long face from when he got the summons until it was over.

In Dallas County, the jury pool room seats at least 400 people, and every morning, it's full.
    The head bailiff fella does a 5-10 minute presentation, then you wait until they call for pool members to go to the various courts.

One time, Dad was sitting at the far back of the room,,,, WAY away from the bailiff doing the presentation.
    When he was done, he went all the way back, patted Dad on the shoulder, and told him, "Ahhh come on now,,, it ain't that bad".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I've served on a couple of juries. Was on a murder trial for six weeks, then had to go back for the sentencing part. A guy beat a girl to death with a bat. Problem started with some drug deal and they went in her house to steal her stereo and then teach her a lesson. I think he is still on Death Row, and it's been more than thirty years.

I don't mind doing my civic duty and have served on several juries. Never got paid from work for serving and enjoyed it.

Once during jury selection the lawyer asked the jurors what guns they own. I requested to respond in private and was excused.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Putnam County is in the Southern District of New York, so potential court house locations are Manhattan or White Plains. My guess is jurors for the White Plains court house are probably pulled from the counties outside of NYC, but that's just a guess. It would seem to me they have enough population to pull from in Manhattan and the Bronx to fill juries.

As for not being able to enter the courthouse without an enhanced driver's license - that's funny. If you get called - let us know how that works...after they let you out and you get access to the internet again.

I guess under that theory a defendant on bond would have an excuse. How about the defense attorney?, the clerks?, the court reporter.....?

And BTW, I know you were just joking.
    People here do get jury duty in Manhattan but your right most Federal is in White Plains which is much closer but It isn't any better parking wise. I hate when I have to work near the court house as the metered parking is usually full and it's only 1hr with limited spots. I jump at the local jury duty just to prevent me from having to go further. As a Vol. fireman we were exempt from jury duty but that changed over 20yrs ago.

Banned
    Federal court is pretty good at paying jurors for their expenses, including travel and parking. Doesn't make the job fun but they at least try to not punish jurors.

From the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, Juror FAQ web page:

" If you live outside New York City and drive your car, either to your local train station or to the courthouse, the Court will pay your parking and toll costs, over and above the mileage fee. The Court does not own a parking lot for jurors. Park in a private or municipal parking lot. Receipts are required for reimbursement of parking and toll costs except where using a parking meter or EZ-PASS."

http://nysd.uscourts.gov/jury_faq.php
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-16-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Boolit Master

I asked our county circuit clerk why some people seem to never get called and some of us get called more often. He explained that in our county only a portion of the registered voters were put in the jury pool at one time. He said that a certain percentage of the eligible residents were randomly selected and for a period of time that was the only group that the juries were chosen from. When the next random selection occurs some of that group might be selected again, and some people might never get selected for the pool.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I think I know why I never got called up for jury duty again, I remember filling out a questionnaire and one of the questions was about hearing and I answered that I had hearing loss. That must have been the disqualifier.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I wonder if I don't get my enhanced drivers license being I don't have a passport how they can mandate I serve Federal jury duty. Can't serve if I'm not allowed in a Federal building. It's a real hassle to get to Fed court might be as far as NYC & who wants to go there?
    When I found out they paid Federal Jurors $50 (less than a week) to $60 (more than a week)
    every DAY , I tried to volunteer .... A 10 day trial would get you $600.00 , not bad for sitting around and not breaking a sweat .
    In Louisiana the regular court pays a whopping $12.00 a day...a 10 day trial gets you $120.00 !

The only perk that comes with being 70 years old is you don't have to do jury duty if you don't want to...that's about it .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Jury duty is a civic duty, not an occupation. Instead of looking at the low amount paid to jurors for performing a needed service, perhaps one should look at the pay, regardless of how paltry, as a bonus. Some little compensation that you were awarded but not entitled to.

And it would be good to remember the source of that pay for jurors. In my state if a criminal defendant is convicted, the defendant is responsible for a portion (but not all) of the trial costs, including the cost of a jury. However, if a defendant is not convicted those costs are borne entirely by the taxpayers. So if you serve on a jury, regardless of the outcome of the trial, you are essentially paying yourself. If the defendant is convicted the court will require the defendant to pay court costs which, if collected, will only partially offset the public cost of the trial. If the defendant is not convicted the public will bear the entire cost of the trial. And of course, you would do well to remember that few criminal defendants actually PAY their court costs.

IS JURY DUTY A BURDEN ? The answer is YES, but it is a burden all good citizens must bear.

We all have our lives and would like to live them, without interference, as we see fit. However, there are duties required of citizens. During times in our nation's history we have drafted people to serve in the military. That requirement included the very real possibility of serious injury, disfigurement, imprisonment as a POW or even death.

There have been times in our history when all able bodied men were required to assist in firefighting.

The concept of being called to assist in the apprehension of criminals is not that old.

And of course there are taxes collected to support government.

The right to a jury trial is enshrined in the Constitution.
    The 6th amendment in part:

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law........".

And the right to a jury trial is also preserved in Article III, Section 2:

"The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment; shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed."

In order to provide that jury we must occasionally have..........people to serve as jurors !

Yes it is inconvenient. Yes the pay sucks. Yes the selection process may appear to be a bit mysterious. And YES, it is a civic duty.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-16-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Boolit Master

I have never tried to shirk jury duty. I always figured that, if I needed a jury, I want one available.
    So if some other fella needs one, I'm available in my turn.

Moderator Emeritus

Where I am at now my mailing address is in one county but my physical address is another. Got a notice to serve in the other county and just told them where I physically reside. I doubt their system could handle it so probably won't be selected again. I couldn't serve anyway due to my neck and back but that is another issue.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast