RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Glock People - help on Glock 26 Gen 4 versus Gen 5

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Glock People - help on Glock 26 Gen 4 versus Gen 5

I have decided to go with a Glock 26. I was at the LGS today where I have done business for years and know the fellows who work there - an old gun shop that's been in business since probably the 1940s. I have "looked" at Glocks before but not seriously - more out of curiosity as I've been a revolver guy for 55 years.

Anyway - while waiting for a check to be cut for some guns I had consigned, I asked the guy I'e dealt with before to "educate" me on the Glocks - he did a good job sIMHO. I looked at the variety of 9mm that they had on hand. I was thinking that I might like a 19 but after sitting the 19 and the 26 side by side - for my purposes, the 26 is much preferable. I'm not worried about the double stack thickness but I do like the idea of the size of the 26, the 10 rd. magazine with the option to carry a spare 10 round or longer 15 round mag. The one they had on hand was a Gen 5 and I liked the way it felt, the size, etc. They didn't have a Gen 4 - usually they keep both in stock but they had sold their Gen 4 that they had in stock. The fellow who was waiting on me has a Gen 4 - he has a number of Glocks - and he said he loves his 26. He mentioned some of the differences between the 4 and the 5 - I'm right handed so not worried about having a changeable mag release that can be for L or R hand shooters, etc. In the end, he said that both the 4 and 5 were good but that he felt the 5 had a better trigger and IIRC - there was a difference int he springs between the 4 and the 5?

He pointed out that if the changeable from L to R for the mag was not an issue, the Gen 4 was a bit cheaper and the difference could be used to get a longer mag for a back up magazine. Honestly, that doesn't make any difference to me as far as the price difference - on a fun gun maybe but for the EDC I want it for - I'll spend the money to get the one that I think is going to be the best option.

If they have to order the Gen 4, he said their distributor would have it to them in 7 - 10 days and if I went with the Gen 5 - they had the one in stock that I looked at.

Some input on the Gen 4 versus the Gen 5 Glock Model 26 would be greatly appreciated - i.e. if you have one or were thinking of the 4 and the 5, which would you go with and why? I usually view a "model change" as an "improvement" so would assume the Gen 5 would be considered "improved" - but obviously they are still making the different Generations for a reason.

Any thoughts on one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

I'll add that whichever Gen I get, it will have some off the rack ammo put through it but primarily will be fed 120is grain PC'd boolits that I'll purchase rather than cast myself. For CCW, it will be stocked with a good SD HP round.

Thanks.

Jim

Boolit Master

The Gen 4 was the result of attempts to reduce .40 S&W induced wear and tear. They did a fair job with that, but there's still a lot of interchangeable parts with the Gen 3.

The Gen 5 learned even more still and there are a lot of nice improvements to beef things up - - - even though they appear to have zero intention of making it in .40 for the U.S. market. They got rid of the silly finger grooves, got rid of the Gen 3/4-era locking block pin, beefed up the firing pin and firing pin safety, gave it an ambi slide stop, made a few changes to the trigger system that seem to improve feel, and gone back to a more conventional rifling pattern (how it does with cast compared to the polygonal I can't say).

Overall an improvement.

FYI - Both Gen 4 and 5 have reversible mag catches and backstrap add-ons.

FYI#2 They are still making the Gen 3 pretty much solely for California, and maybe Massachusetts which adopted California's "safe handgun roster". Basically, California started saying what features a semi auto handgun had to have to be "safe", and they've been making it harder to get a gun on the list ever since. The Gen 3 is grandfathered; the Gen 4 and later models are not. Glock would gladly discontinue them if they weren't their only way to maintain market share in those areas.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I carried a gen 3 Glock 26 for a number of years the gen5 does have a better trigger than the gen 4 and doesn’t have the finger grooves mostly it is a matter of which feels better to you both have reverse able mag buttons the gen5 does have a ambi slide stop.

Thank you gentlemen - that is a big help and i appreciate the information greatly. I think I will go with the Gen 5. It flelt good in my hands and I think it will fill the intended purpose very well. I'm going to call the shop and ask them to hold it for me. If things go like they normally do - I have a feeling it will probably lead me to a 19 down the road at some point. I did like the one I looked at and handled yesterday but a tad on the larger size for what I'm wanting at this point to replace what I've been carrying.

Thanks again for the information - looks like I'm going to take a sip of the Glock koolaid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thank you gentlemen - that is a big help and i appreciate the information greatly. I think I will go with the Gen 5. It flelt good in my hands and I think it will fill the intended purpose very well. I'm going to call the shop and ask them to hold it for me. If things go like they normally do - I have a feeling it will probably lead me to a 19 down the road at some point. I did like the one I looked at and handled yesterday but a tad on the larger size for what I'm wanting at this point to replace what I've been carrying.

Thanks again for the information - looks like I'm going to take a sip of the Glock koolaid.
    Aaaaaagh going to the dark side , one of my shooting buddy's has Glocks in almost every size and caliber they make they all work good. And you can describe what it looks like with three words ."it's a Glock"
    Enjoy it.

I was a Glock hater for many years. Didn’t understand why anyone would go that way when superior quality finely made weapons were available. But after enough try outs with friends glocks, I finally “got it”. Now I have a Glock 19 and I LOVE it! Mine is gen3 and I like the finger grooves. People talk about them having a lot different grip angle but honestly I never really felt that they were that different. Or maybe I like the angle they provide. In any case, I’d sure not want a single stack, because I like to shoot mine a lot. But I don’t ccw it either.

Personal preference. I don't like the front slide serrations, minimal parts compatibility with previous gens and the new less durable DLC finish. I guess they got the new Gen5 barrels worked out now because a lot of them were tight throated. I have previous gen glocks so none of the spare parts I have on hand would work on the Gen 5. That may not matter to you but it does to me. Seems like Glock changed things for the sake of changing them and not improving them with the Gen5. Difference in trigger feel between gen4 and gen5 = who cares for me. Still a Glock trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I was a Glock hater for many years. Didn’t understand why anyone would go that way when superior quality finely made weapons were available. But after enough try outs with friends glocks, I finally “got it”. Now I have a Glock 19 and I LOVE it! Mine is gen3 and I like the finger grooves. People talk about them having a lot different grip angle but honestly I never really felt that they were that different. Or maybe I like the angle they provide. In any case, I’d sure not want a single stack, because I like to shoot mine a lot. But I don’t ccw it either.
    People complain about the grip angle because they see other people complain about the grip angle. Go lay a full size Glock on top of a 1911 with the original (not flat) main spring housing on it. Pretty much identical to the Glock. How many people are complaining about the grip angle on Ruger MKII/MKIII pistols or Lugers? Yeah you only see them complaining about the Glocks grip, monkey see monkey do.

Boolit Master
    I think Glocks are amazing guns I have had 2 a first gen 19 that was excellent that never malfunctioned was accurate and easy to shoot well , and I had a 36 that drove me nuts , it might fire 100 or even 200 rounds great then have mak functions in the next 3 mags just random stoppages from ftf fte in a couple thousand rounds it was still in the trial stage replaced springs & mags . I know this 36 was an exception and not a normal Glock . I just got lucky
    I don't have any now because I prefer other brands , just personal preference .
    The grip on 1911s is not my favorite either.

Boolit Grand Master
    As Erik/Bigslug described above, those of us in the PRK are limited to the Gen 3 Glocks that the rest of the world have left behind about a decade ago.

Marie and I have Glock 22C and 23 in-house, along with 20SF and 29SF. I wish the large caliber Glocks came in the 19/23 mid-size form--I would sell off the 20 and 29. That small grip on the 29 is a bit much with healthy 10mm loads, and likely with the 40 S&W as well. The 23 is just right, the 22 just a bit more of a good thing.

Glocks are reliable and reasonably accurate for their purpose. I began carrying them upon retirement from LE because I won't be heartbroken if some enterprising large-city officer seizes it for some reason. Having seen that movie once already with some NICE guns--and wasting 7 months on having them returned by Cal-DOJ--my carry-around-town guns are now Glocks.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a gen. 4 19 and 26. They are nice guns, although I did buy Storm Lake barrels for cast. I've heard mixed reviews on whether the new rifling will play nice with boolits. Just from examining the gen. 5's at the fun store, they have a better trigger pull and finally lost those stoopid finger bumps. The sights are, to my eyes, a little easier to use as well. If I were buying new Glock pistols I probably would go with the 5. Now that my pistols have been modified to my liking, I see no reason to switch. Of course, if you want something other than a 9mm then the 5 is out of the question.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thank you all for the responses and the information - it's greatly appreciated.

I went down yesterday and bought the G26 Gen 5. It feels good in my hands and I am surprised at how nicely it comes right up and my sight picture is right on with the grip I use. The trigger feels good on it and now it's a case of getting some rounds through it at the range to break it in and get well acquainted with it.

The fellow I like to deal with at the shop has been to Glock's Armorer traomomg and he gave me a good "short course" on break down, cleaning, lubing, etc. - but yes - I'll read the manual!

I picked up some store bought ammo to put through it first before I try reloads. It's been years since I have bought ammo off the shelf but picked up some to help break it in. I'm not sure how the new rifling on the Gen 5 is going to work with cast either but at some point, will find out. While I have cast for 55 years, I'm going to just buy some 120ish grain PC'd to use in my reloads for it as I have enough things to do it seems whenever I get ready to cast lately.

An order for holster and a mag pouch is going in today and I'm thinking I might get some +2 mag extensions to put on at least one of the three mags that came with it.

This is not only my "first" Glock - but also the first one I have really ever handled and taken a serious look at. Yep . . I know . . . some love 'em and some hate "em . . . I've shot single action revolvers for 55 years . . . have had a few different semi-autos of different flavors but for some reason I just never warmed up to the idea of a Glock - and I had no reason to feel that way. But, even an old bird can learn new things and for me, at least, I'm pretty impressed with the feel, look and design of it and I have a feeling after I finally get to the range next week, I'll like it even more. Lot's of other good makes out there though and everyone is different . . be pretty borong if we all liked the same things.

At any rate, I sure appreciate everyone's input and I'm thinking I've found something that's going to fill all I wanted in a new carry pistol. Thanks again!

Jim