WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationADvertise here

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5505 USD (92%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Problem: Trail Boss in .38 Special

Boolit Master
    DA means two different types of ways to fire a handgun. Either by pulling the trigger to cause the hammer to cam back and the fly forward after the hammer slips off the cocking device or cocking the gun with the thumb or finger then pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    OK, running off the tracks, but some quick terminology:

Cocking with the thumb is NOT "double action." That's "single action."

1. If the hammer's already back, and you pull the trigger and fire, then that's shooting "single action."

2. If the hammer's down, and pulling the trigger pulls the hammer back and releases it to fire, then that's "double action."

A gun that can only do #1 is a "single action." (Regardless whether revolver or semi-auto, like a M1911.)

A gun that can also do #2 is technically a "single/double action," though usually we would just call it a "double action," not to be confused with one that can only do #2, which would be "double action only."

The point: The double action trigger pulls on rimfire revolvers tend to be awful.
    We Know Mass Cannot Be Weighed But It Has Newtonian Weight And That Is Derived From Kilograms And Kilograms Can Be Converted to Pounds. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed. But How is the kilograms obtained? Can Kilograms Be Weighed? Evidentally Yes It Can. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed So Kilograms Must Not Exist. Funny Isn't It.
    One good thing out of this the next time I'm at the doctors and they want to weigh me I'll tell them mass cannot be weighed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    DA means two different types of ways to fire a handgun.

No, no, no... Look it up, if you don't want to listen to me.

Boolit Master
    "Most double-action revolvers may be fired in two ways.[19]

The first way is single-action; that is, exactly the same as a single-action revolver; the hammer is cocked with the thumb, which indexes the cylinder, and when the trigger is pulled, the hammer is tripped.
    The second way is double-action, or from a hammer-down position. In this case, the trigger first cocks the hammer and revolves the cylinder, then trips the hammer at the rear of the trigger stroke, firing the round in the chamber.

Enfield No. 2 Mk I* double-action-only revolver. Note the spurless hammer.

Certain revolvers, called double-action-only (DAO) or, more correctly but less commonly, self-cocking, lack the latch that enables the hammer to be locked to the rear, and thus can only be fired in the double-action mode. With no way to lock the hammer back, DAO designs tend to have bobbed or spurless hammers, and may even have the hammer completely covered by the revolver's frame (i.e., shrouded or hooded). These are generally intended for concealed carrying, where a hammer spur could snag when the revolver is drawn. The potential reduction in accuracy in aimed fire is offset by the increased capability for concealment."
    We Know Mass Cannot Be Weighed But It Has Newtonian Weight And That Is Derived From Kilograms And Kilograms Can Be Converted to Pounds. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed. But How is the kilograms obtained? Can Kilograms Be Weighed? Evidentally Yes It Can. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed So Kilograms Must Not Exist. Funny Isn't It.
    One good thing out of this the next time I'm at the doctors and they want to weigh me I'll tell them mass cannot be weighed.

OK guys enough. Please keep it civil here, and on topic.

If this is going to be a continuous thing for your wife/daughter to want to shoot but not heavier rounds - I'll make a suggestion. First, I don't use Trailboss - have nothing against any powder that works but I was never able to get it where I buy powder - it comes in and then right away off the shelf by those who use it regularly. Anyway . . . .

It means a set of Lee dies and a brass order - but have you ever considered loading up 38 Colt Short for then to shoot with the lighter weight boolits? I have loaded a lot of 38 Colt Short with 90 to 120 grain boolits - I use either Red Dot or Bulls Eye - I use 1.8 gr of BE and about the same for RD - sometimes 2.0 gr of RD.Yep - I know "bullet jump" and all of that but they work well out of all of my 38s / 357s I use Starline brass - if you don't want to buy 500 of the casings, you can buy smaller quantities from Track of the Wolf or other suppliers I'm sure. Easy to load with a set of the Lee 38 Colt Short/Long dies - clean your cylinder chambers after shooting and all is fine. I liked them for taking care of small critters on the farm or just plinking rounds for punching paper or cans. You're going to get some noise with any cartridge but the recoil on a 38 Colt Short is not much at all. I sort of think of the 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and 38 Special the sad as I do the 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle. I have even had good luck with the 38 Colt Shorts out of a Hands Rifle. Just something else to consider and play with.

I have found that 2.2 grains of Trail Boss with a Hornady swaged HBWC is soft shooting and accurate. Seat the boolits flush with the case mouth. You can buy a box of these for about $20.
    "If you see me running something has gone poorly, and you should probably run too." - any beekeeper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234