RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: accurate mold in 44 magnum

Boolit Master
    getting to like the mold with one cavity plain base and the other one gas check

Boolit Master
    Not nearly enough production for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, I am a one bullet and load for one gun person so why would I want to cast two bullets of different designs and never use one of them? Besides taking hours with a single cavity mold to cast enough bullets for a shooting session.

Even My 45/70, 465gr WFN mold is a 4 cavity.

CDOC

Boolit Master
    you have a good point there
    how about a 4 cavity 2 of each

I like 4 cavity I have a Ruger no 1 in 4570 and the rib was modified to put a Burris scout scope..... and I have some 4 cavity and yes they save time

Boolit Master

accurate mold in 44 magnum

That way you can also compare, see whether there’s a difference in accuracy between PB and GC.
    Thought about going that route with
    a .40 boolit but just went with PB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Better to have a mold with just one cavity style! Rather then having a mold with a couple styles one of which is unused and worthless.

If you buy a Mold with just one "reasonable" type bullet, there will be some resale possibilities where with a two cavity Mold, you have a half a mold and that only one cavity.

I don't hate casting, but when I cast I want to maximize production, so much so that when casting with other then my 45/70 mold where I use a different alloy, I run at least 3 molds at one time - hopefully at least 4 cavities each - which allows for a great lot of bullet in a 2 - 3 hour session.

To each his own, but that is how the Ol'Coot see it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    you have a good point there
    how about a 4 cavity 2 of each

I like 4 cavity I have a Ruger no 1 in 4570 and the rib was modified to put a Burris scout scope..... and I have some 4 cavity and yes they save time
    Now you're cookin'. Especially with a 44. If your rifle "likes" the 2 GC cavities, you still have the PB cavities for a handgun.
    Last edited by murf205; 08-16-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Remember accurate molds are truly custom. You can have it any way you want you just have to ask. If you have a question email Tom and ask him he will answer in a timely matter. You don't have to wait for 20 or more to like a design you are the only one who has to like it.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep, Tom is good!

Don't call!!!!!!!!! send him an email. He has always been quick to reply for me.

Again, just the way the Ol'Coot does it, but I cast and use VERY few .44s that are not gas checked!

Maybe if someone would talk me out of my RedHawk and trade me into a new GP100 in 44 Special, I might have a different perspective, but have seen little to no reason to down load the 44 mag. even though I don't find the .44 mag near as much fun as it was 15 years back.

I have the scoped RedHawk listed on a local internet classifieds, but no response yet.

Have been shooting the same fodder out of the RedHawk lately as I use in the RUGER 77/44, but for years my go to load with the RedHawk was a 310gr Wide Flat Nose right at 1300fps from the 5.5" barrel. Believe me, that rocks and rolls!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    to have a hand gun here is like trying to convince your wife to have a mistress
    will be shooting all in my no 1

sorry brother, I forgot where you live. I think we guys south of the border take some of our liberties for granted until we are reminded. Since that is the case, and since your rifle is a single shot, GC molds make good sense and so does your mold choice.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    sorry brother, I forgot where you live. I think we guys south of the border take some of our liberties for granted until we are reminded. Since that is the case, and since your rifle is a single shot, GC molds make good sense and so does your mold choice.

if you where not hour nabbers it would be worst
    keep the good works for keeping the 2 amendment

Boolit Master
    Canuck4570,

Hey, I believe I sent some samples to a fellow I met when he stopped by to pick up a 45/70 Marlin on a motor cycle trip in the U.S.

Those were 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast.

I forgot just how I mailed them, but apparently they arrived with no problems at the boarder.

Now, I have a bunch of boolets for the .444, cast, gas checked and lubed from the Accurate Arms mold 43-275MG that are sized .432 and weigh in right at 280gr. These are cast of clip on wheel weights and water quenched as they drop from the mold.

Bought the mold for a son's triple 4 Marlin, but have used quite a few in my RUGER 77/44 rifle and taken two deer with that bullet at about 1750fps I have tested it to about 1900fps.

The lube is LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue.

If you think you'd be interested in testing some of these bullets and if it would be possible to get them too you, I'd be willing to send some samples your way.

If this could be worked out, that would allow you to do some tests and providing that bullet worked out for you, you could order just one mold and be good to go.

My son says this bullet is quite accurate in his .444, but at this point I get about a 4" group at 100yds. That bullet sure did the job on the two deer, the one at a measured 95 - 100yds. complete pass through behind the shoulder and dropped where it stood. The other, a nice buck was much closer facing me. Hit the neck, full penetration of the neck bone, then on through a shoulder - upper shoulder blade - and exited. Of course, dead where it stood.

In the little RUGER rifle, it is a thumper on both ends.

The heavier bullet you linked has the large meplat which is great, but not sure there would be that much to gain over the 280gr WFN from a .44mag case.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    thank's for the offer
    but don't take the chance
    there was a thread and the fellow who mailed them to Canada had to pay a find for trying to mail some bullets
    I think the thread was on the exange section....

Boolit Master
    Canuck4570,

OUCH, that doesn't sound good!

To bad we don't know someone that will be making the crossing one way or the other that could ferry the goodies. Might have saved you some bucks.

CDOC

Boolit Master
    since I am not using a lever action I can single load in the no 1
    so I am looking for a bullet with long nose out of the case leaving more space for powder this way less pressure (not looking for super hot loads) and still be able to use a heavy bullet in the 280 to 320 gr.

Boolit Master
    Canuck45/70,

Yet, understand that single loading. I current have two #1 RUGERS and have owned a number of others.

However, I just looked up the 43-325 and note that the nose from the crimp groove is listed as .5 while the same measurement on the 43-275mg is .315.

The point is, there will be little to no difference in the available case/powder capacity in the .44 mag case, between the two bullets as most if not all of the weight difference between the two bullets is in the nose.

No problem on my end if you choose the heavier bullet, I'm just left to wonder if there is much to gain.

Of course, with the Reasonable effective hunting range being about 100yds plus maybe a bit more, the trajectory advantage with a lighter and possibly faster bullet of 280gr. being of questionable advantage.

I'm guess your .44mag #1 at having a 22" barrel is that correct? My little RUGER 77/44 has a barrel length of about 18.5" and I've tested the 280gr up to right at 1900fps.

The accuracy was just more in the range of 1750fps.

If in fact, the #1 is 22', that will possibly give you some velocity advantage, but we still come back to at what velocity is the accuracy the best.

Even at the .44 velocities, there wouldn't be many critters asking for a second round with the 325gr. and it should be awesome on black bear, deer, etc., with well placed shots at reasonable range.

CDOC

Boolit Master
    the barrel length is 20 inches
    on bullet from accurate is the
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul...ue/43-290V.png
    that one has a gas check and would be interesting velocity wise

Boolit Master
    That is likely to be a really good choice for a .44 bullet.

Don't know how much you have been around the #1s, but they are NOT light in general. Your 20" should be really nice!

However, I have a 22" barrel 45/70 that is a delight to handle and carry. Short barrel and big hole make for a nice weight.

However, for the #1 - .223 I stocked in the early 80s and just recently reclaimed after it was a safe queen for years in a friend's safe, it is long barrel and tiny hole and HEAVY just like most of the #1"B"s.

But that awesome and highly figured black walnut just recently rec'd back from the checkering lady makes it a delight to behold even if it is heavy.

Once owned, wish I still did, a #1 "B" in 22/250 that someone had chopped to 22". WOW, that rifle was ever so handy and fun and there was never a fuzzy critter that felt something was missing with that 4" shorter barrel.

Like the #1s, and have been a lover since the day I first saw a magazine ad for one, back in the days when a new one cost $265 bucks.

I gave $1200 to reclaim the .223, which is a lot more then it cost to build in the late 70s or early 80s. Then another 5 to get the checkering done. Guess you could say I'm now enjoying a 2000 - 2500dollar rifle. Should never have sold or traded it off way back when but you know what they say about too soon old and too late smart.

But, WOW is it awesome now!

CDOC

Boolit Master
    the rifle weight 7.1 + the Aimpoint hunter 30s it will be around 8.5
    recoil will be light even with full load
    at the moment I am gathering the reloading components for it
    speaking about 45-70 I have one that my son modified the rib to mount a scout scope..... love it

Boolit Grand Master

On the subject of shipping boolits, bullets or other reloading supplies out of the States... it is illegal. It is not illegal to bring them into Canada, it is illegal for Americans to ship them out of the States if you don't have an FFL. It is also illegal for a non-US citizen to be in possession of reloading items such as bullets, boolits, brass, powder, primers, etc. States. Also illegal to possess loaded ammunition unless you are attending a sanctioned shoot or have a valid non-resident hunting license but... you cannot take any of the loaded ammunition out of the States when you leave so shoot it all up.

I could understand some government concern if someone came into the States with a tourist visa and simply picked up a few tons of powder and ammunition then left, but really, cast boolits, empty brass, illegal to export... even in small quantities! Seems odd.

I mention this because the subject comes up often. I used to buy all my reloading supplies in Colville Washington but Homeland Security put an end to that. We Canadians are foreigners so not allowed to buy that stuff anymore and you aren't allowed to send us any either.

Sad but true.

I'm sure this has upset the plans of some terrorists somewhere but I'm not sure where or who!

Longbow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast