Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: accurate mold in 44 magnum

This is the NOE version of the Lee 310gr bullet. But this is available in .434" which is useful for a lot of rifles. The aluminum NOE uses also is more durable than what Lee uses and overall it is a better quality mold than Lee.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...l51olverrt7b54

Boolit Master
    Good info Longbow. Sad, but I guess true.

CDOC

Boolit Master
    another question

seizing my 45-70 brass I turn down my die just enough to put it at .0003 below my cast bullet than open it up to .0001 under the bullet
    the 45-70 it tapered case
    the 44 magnum really straight. only .0001 difference
    my question is am I better with a regular die or a carbide
    the Redding carbide seems interesting it has 2 carbine ring
    read that the carbide seize to much
    anyone who has experience with the Redding carbide please come forward

Boolit Master
    Little experience with Redding products, but if your talking about loading for the .44, just buy a 3 die set from RCBS or Hornady and be done with it!!!!!!! Just don't over size and create a big ring towards the head of the case. NOT LIKELY to happen unless you have an over sized chamber or an undersized die - not likely.

On your 45/70 a standard 2 die set is all that is needed and just size enough to allow for smooth rechambering of the fired case and enough to assure consistent pressure between the case and the bullet.

Sorry, but this Ol'Coot is not quite clear on what you asking.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

For my 1894 Marlin I "neck size" only by backing off my die. I have a Lee carbide sizing die and I am sure it is made to size for .44 mag. handgun spec bullets of 0.429"/0.430" but my Marlin is typical SAAMI spec rifle at 0.431" and I load 0.433"/0.434" boolits. That's quite a bit of brass stretching if I full length size... and its hard on boolits stretching the brass so partially sizes the lead. The carbide die also squeezes down the whole cartridge when full length sized so much that I get a large bulge at the base of the boolit. Looks terrible!

Not sure if this is just a Lee carbide die issue or common with all brands since Lee is all I have for the .44. A regular die might not make the case so straight at sizing? However, I have to think that all .44 sizing dies are set to size for 0.429"/0.430". If your Ruger #1 is SAAMI spec for rifle you will be shooting 0.432" minimum boolit diameter. I suspect you'll wind up backing off the die and neck sizing regardless.

Yes CDOC... sad but true! Makes it hard for us Canucks to get reloading supplies especially if you live in a rural area. One of my favourite stores in Colville was Clark's Allsports. In Spokane it was White Elephant and The General Store. I bought reloading supplies there for years until 9/11 then that put an end to us foreigners buying gun stuff in the States. BAH!

Longbow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123