Boolit Master

accurate mold in 44 magnum

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul...ue/43-325D.png

just bought a Ruger no 1 in 44 magnum

would this bullet be good for hunting

and if any of you have this mold would like to have your opinion

Boolit Grand Master
    not that exact one but used a similar one and worked real well
    Last edited by white eagle; 08-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Might be better served in the rifle with a GC'd bullet, especially if a softer alloy might be used or you have to drive it fast if the Ruger has a slow twist.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    the twist is 1/20
    if they are oven quench would you still put a gas check?

Boolit Grand Master
    if it needs a check put one on it can't hurt
    even when water hardened
    remember the base is the last thin leaving yer barrel
    and the first thing in the case better to have a nice flat
    and square one to start
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I'm A Honcho!
    NOE makes 4 cavity molds that you can get two GC and two PB boolits per cast. Accurate makes them as well I think.

I have 6 x 44 magnum rifles. 280 grains will serve you well. WFN Boolits want to expand so try to find the balance. Hard enough to give good accuracy soft enough to expand. None of my 6 needs gas checks. With the weight of the boolit in the link you won’t either. You might get 1450 FPS with 300 mp or H110.

But I have going that 280 keeps impact velocity in a range that most any homebrewed boolits will expand.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    for my guns I was debating between that 325 and the 300R which look very similar, but I went with 300R because I needed it to fit a revolver shorter than a redhawk cylinder also. but it works well in my revolvers and levergun apart from not cycling which aint a problem for you. I got it over 1400 in a 9.5" SRH with h110, then used a bit milder load of 2400 for same MV in rifle. I used 3.6% antimony 2.3% tin air cooled PC'd and expansion was just were I wanted where it trumpet shape but not falling apart. if you size right and play with hardness or maybe shake and bake pc em you should be able to get accuracy without a gascheck. but ya it would hammer things quite well and go through a lot.

Boolit Master
    what I am afraid of is in a 20 inch barrel might get to much velocity and leading
    but its worth to try
    if you had no leading in a revolver forcing cone and all should be easy in a barrel to get no leading
    anyway I am not looking for extreme velocity

Boolit Grand Master

If you are looking for a big WFN bullet for a rifle, I think you would be doing yourself a favor by starting with the Lee 420-310-RF. It comes in both 2 cavity and 6 cavity molds. That's my opinion, assuming you do not already own a 44 caliber mold.

Boolit Master
    don't like aluminium mold

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    what I am afraid of is in a 20 inch barrel might get to much velocity and leading
    but its worth to try
    if you had no leading in a revolver forcing cone and all should be easy in a barrel to get no leading
    anyway I am not looking for extreme velocity
    Your oven quenched bullets should do well up through 13-1400 fps, perhaps a bit higher.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The 1:20" twist should handle the heavyweights well but check groove diameter. If the barrel is to SAAMI spec for groove diameter it will run 0.431" so needs a "fat" boolit. I use 0.433" and up to 0.435" in my Marlin 1894.

Also, I use all PB boolits even with "hot" loads nearing max. No leading issues with fat boolits so far. I do see a bit of gas cutting on the base band on recovered boolits but not bad. Likely doesn't help accuracy but all in all the PB boolits shoot well for me.

I started out with a Lyman 429421 that cast right on 0.429" with ACWW. Not only was OAL too long for the Marlin to feed reliably, it didn't like the SWC very much though neither of those issues will be a problem for you. The small 429421 did result in poor accuracy and bad leading. Fattening up the boolits and lightly lapping the barrel solved the leading problem for me.

While a gas check certainly wouldn't hurt I don't see the need for my shooting.

Longbow

I have an Accurate mold that is a brass mold with two chambers 43-240A and two chambers 43-240AG.
    I shoot both of these in my Ruger Redhawk and Henry Big Boy H0012. I load the GC boolits with W296 or AA11 and the PB boolits with Unique or Trailboss.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    one more question
    if I stick with the bullet mentioned above is the 1/20 twist enough to stabilize such a long and heavy bullet

Boolit Grand Master

How long is the bullet?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    marlins only have half that much twist, your fine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    How long is the bullet?
    the bullet is .848 long

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    the bullet is .848 long
    That boolit should be stable above 750 fps. I am quite sure you'll drive it faster than that. As far as a mold with 2 different cavities, it is a great idea. I have an Accurate mold with 2 GC cavities and 2 PB cavities and my 45/70 CB likes both of them (lucky me!). I use the pb for most loads and the gc's for full tilt rounds. You said you dont care for aluminum but the one I have from Accurate is a joy to cast with.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I say I don't like aluminium its because I had a Lee once and no no
    I am certain aluminum from accurate would be a different story

Boolit Master
    Canuck4570,

I have a number of Accurate molds in aluminum. All 4 or more cavities. GREAT MOLDS/

Whole different thing then the lee molds, especially if your talking older lee molds!!!

For use in the rifle, RUGER #1 or other wise, I would order the mold made for gas check use.

I have a 275/280gr Accurate Mold made for the .444. My son has that rifle in a Marlin.

However, I have used that bullet in the RUGER 77/44 and have taken deer with it. One shot, dead right where they stood.

The link you posted shows a bullet with a large meplat, or Wide Flat Nose. That is good!

Forget worrying about expansion!!!!!!!!! That is the reason for the WFN. If the bullet expands so be it, but have used WFN cast in my 45/50 for deer and elk and more recently in the 44, the WFN is VERY effective on game!!!!!!!!!!

So, Look at the Accurate Molds selection for Gas Check use, pick one in the 275gr range or a bit heavier and go for it.

I have tested the triple 4 bullet in my .44 rifle to right at 1900fps, but hunted with it at 1750fps.

In my #1 - 45/70, I have tested a lot at above 2000fps with a 355gr and leading is not an issue!

Both are gas check designs.

Better results in the 45/70 came with a 465gr WFN at 1650fps.

Alloy in the .44 is just plain old clip on Wheel Weights, water quenched as they fall from the mold while the alloy for the 45/70 is 50/50 Wheel Weights/lead with the bullets quenched as they drop from the mold.

Great results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast