Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Max range with WFN and OWC?

Boolit Mold

Max range with WFN and OWC?

Over the years, I’ve killed killed several deer with S&W Model 29 variants using a 240 SWC and enough Unique to move them about 1,050 fps. This load shoots well at longer ranges, as do LFN designs in a couple of Ruger 45 Colt Bisleys that I used to own. I recently bought a Lipsey’s 5½” Ruger Flat Top Convertible 45, and I want to give it a try on deer. Where I hunt, shots are never more than 100 yards.

Based on advice I've seen around here, I’m looking at WFN and OWC bullets, but I've had trouble with them before. I’ve had 148-grain wadcutters over 3 grains of Bullseye tumble at distances past about 50 yards when fired from an 8 3/8” S&W Model 27 that shot like a rifle with other loads.

I also tried a 220-grain OWC from Montana Bullet Works in a 5” Model 629 Classic over 10 grains of Unique, but groups were so big that it literally wasn’t worth measuring them. On the same day, I was making 2” groups at 25 yards with a Ruger Bisley in 22 LR and slightly larger groups with the 629 and a 4" Model 29-2 using the SWC load, so pretty sure it wasn’t me.

I’ve also had trouble making a plain-base 280 WFN (also from Montana Bullet Works) shoot well out of the same 629 and a 5½” Super Blackhawk, both of which shot well with several other loads. Velocity was 850-900 fps also over Unique. These two boolits came from Montana Bullet Works and were sized to match the cylinder throats, so they’re probably a solid product.

What’s the secret to getting 100-yard accuracy out of a WFN or OWC design? Or should I stick to LFN and SWC designs?

Thanks,

Okie John

Boolit Grand Master
    for me I'd say if it aint broke
    seriously you have good luck with these designs before
    I would start there
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

"What’s the secret to getting 100-yard accuracy out of a WFN or OWC design? Or should I stick to LFN and SWC designs?"

Probably using a shorter lighter weight one that gives better stability at the velocities you mention in the 18 3/8" twist of your S&Ws.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

i used the 220gr owc and 10.0gr of unique in my 44 mag to hunt deer with, but 50 yards is my maximum. i "think" that 50 yards is the owc maximum too. beyond that it may tumble. i use a 255gr keith swc over 7.5gr of unique(44spl) in my 44 mag. it is great on deer, but i've shot them at 30-35 yards. i've used a 280gr wfn gc(MBW) with 10.5gr of unique. i haven't shot a deer with it but at 50 yards it will go 3+/-" group.

Notes from Dave, Founder MBW:
    LFN – Long nose profile ballistically better for shooting long range (over 100 yds) – excellent hunting bullet
    WFN – Large wound channel, but not a long range bullet (less than 100 yds) – excellent hunting bullet
    Keith style v. SWC – Every mould maker has a different definition of what a Keith style bullet means. In Keith’s time, the only other bullet types were Wadcutter (WC) and round-nose (RN), both of which he felt were inferior hunting bullet designs. Bullets identified as SWC on the price list are that mould makers expression of a Keith style bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "What’s the secret to getting 100-yard accuracy out of a WFN or OWC design? Or should I stick to LFN and SWC designs?"

Probably using a shorter lighter weight one that gives better stability at the velocities you mention in the 18 3/8" twist of your S&Ws.
    How about in a Ruger 45 Colt with a 1:16 twist?

Thanks,

Okie John

Boolit Buddy
    twist wont matter very much. its the nose shape. only testing like your doing will reveal. some wfn designs are good but most are innaccurate at some point down range. just test like your doing and hunt accordingly. a good keith or lfn will fly forever for whatever its worth.
    jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks to all who replied.

How about in a Ruger 45 Colt with a 1:16 twist?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Should do better (maintain accuracy to a farther distance) in the 16" twist but, as mentioned, the sometimes almost cylindrical bullet shape of some WFN/OWC does come into play.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    okie John,

A big welcome to the Boolits forum!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    a good keith or lfn will fly forever for whatever its worth.
    Thanks. That's worth a lot.

Okie John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    okie John,

A big welcome to the Boolits forum!

Three44s
    Thanks. I've lurked for a while. This is my first thread and first post.

Okie John

Boolit Master
    I don't think your problem is twist either. I had a 230 grain OWC mold that shot OK, not great, at 25 yds. and was fairly worthless after that from S&W and Ruger revolvers. A 280 grain WFN from a Marlin 1-38" twist shot acceptably well even at 200 yards. So I think it is bullet form. The 280 WFN does better in my opinion because it is much longer, giving better stability in the air. I've sort of come to the conclusion that extra blunt bullets are snake oil. Elmer figured that out with his blunt B&M designs in .45 and .44 before he came up with the Keith SWC and that was a very long time ago.

If you want better target impact go with a hollow point version of a Keith, SWC, or LFN. It won't penetrate as well as the solid, but it will be more accurate than the super blunt designs out to as far as you can hit anything.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

As stated, the WFN design is almost a wadcutter, and most of us know how accuracy deteriorates past 50 yds. with this design. A WFN can deliver good accuracy to 100 yards IF you drive it fast enough! RPM is your friend here, and YES, twist does matter! A faster twist equals higher RPM, helping to prevent the boolit from yawing as it sheds velocity.

As Piedmont stated above, his carbine was accurate to 200 yards. The velocity achieved in the longer barrel allowed that bullet to fly point-on farther than a pistol would allow. A light load of 9 gr. of Unique and a 250 gr. boolit will kill deer all day long, I used that load for years. But, it's not a long range load. Inside 50 yards, it's as deadly as anything else. If you need to reach out, you need more than 1000 fps muzzle velocity. Speed matters. Twist matters.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown