Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long rifle at pawn shop

Boolit Buddy

Long rifle at pawn shop

I was at a local pawn shop, they had a beautiful long rifle with curly Maple stock. The stock had curl from one end to the other, a full stock. The lock looked like a quality lock, the double triggers look like quality triggers, the wood had some nice carving basically 3 D relief carving and it was fairly well done. They only wanted 100 bucks for the rifle.
    I look down the bore and it was cruddy rusty. It appeared to be 50 caliber and it was rifled. I pulled the ram rod and ran it down the barrel, and it appears that the barrel is loaded. On the other end of the barrel the drum and nipple are missing. When you look in the hole where the drum is, it was solid. So either this gun was left loaded and is going to be a challenge to clean out, or someone filled the bottom of the barrel with something to make it a wall hanger.
    The hammer on the action was full cocked, and pulling the triggers would not drop it. neither trigger would move at all like they were jammed. I am betting that I could get the lock in the triggers to working, probably something minor. But the barrel I have questions about. I don't know if you can make a rusty boar shoot worth a darn especially pushing club patched round balls down the bore.
    I am thinking of going back and offering them 25 bucks for the rifle as a wall hanger. The barrel has 3 options, possibly 4. Either leave as is and use with a rough bore, assuming I can clean it out. Coat the bore with something to smooth it out, like fuel tank liner type stuff. Replace the barrel, or possibly get it rebored to 54 caliber or drilled out and lined.
    There were no makers marks on the gun at all, I don't think it was a kit gun, but a gun that somebody put together from parts such as from track of the Wolf, it's etc.
    I am pretty sure I can get the lock and trigger working well, but what are your thoughts on how to deal with this rusty bore barrel?

I would buy it thinking of the worst option. The most expensive will be to change the barrel. Consider that in the budget.

Boolit Master
    Those are the types of guns that I try to find.
    I do all my own work short of Reboring the barrels.
    I have made a few gems out of what others would consider Wall hangers.
    And I got them at a good price.
    If nothing more, they let me practice my Skill Set, so I know what to do when I come across that Rare Find that is well worth my time to go all out and restore it.

Maybe the owner will dicker on the price, but based on your description even for 100 bucks I'd buy it. As you said, I'm sure the lock's problem can be solved, and the barrel can be re-bored to a larger caliber. Also, there is just a possibility that, since you can't find any maker's marks, the rifle could be handmade by one of the backwoods master rifle makers and be quite valuable. That possibility aside, it still sounds well worth the money.

USMC 77, USRA 79

if the stock if purty and curly, that alone is worth 100 bucks...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd buy it and fix whatever needs fixin'. Even if I had to re-line or re-bore and re-breach it. Sounds like a future gem to me.

I can think of a couple of scenarios about how it got into pawn.

The gun may have been built, but the ignition channel got overlooked/undrilled, so the owner pawned it.

If the trigger's adjustable, someone who didn't know what they were about might have "adjusted" them until they were inoperable, blocked - and it was likewise pawned.

For $100 (or less, if dickered) I'd buy it, and remove the breechplug to see what's really in there.

Resolution or not, you can go from there.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For a hundred bucks, buy it. Parts for a rifle run around a grand now. Some of those old sewer pipes shoot fine.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I would hurry back Buy It Now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I bought it. I have a sling on my right arm, due to surgery, show this will be a project in a few weeks when I lose the sling. Thanks to all who have replied. I need to figure out how to post photos.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzzlelader-left.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	246715

Boolit Master

From your description and the photo I think you done good.
    Let us know how this project progresses.

Boolit Master
    Right purdy Sir.When you get some time,post up some more.We like pics.Hope all goes well on your heal up.Get well soon.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    oconeedan , while you are waiting to heal check with these guys, there's a bunch of them that have the experience to give you great help. www.muzzleloadingforum.com/

Boolit Buddy

OK, I have figgered out how to post pics, photo bucket was screwing with me.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Please keep us posted on what else you find out now that you have the rifle in hand.
    The rifle IMO was well worth what you gave for it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Please keep us posted on what else you find out now that you have the rifle in hand.
    The rifle IMO was well worth what you gave for it.
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Well, you have a Siler lock there, so that's about a $100 dollar lock. The triggers appear to have been misadjusted. That little screw between the triggers controls the amount of the trigger bar sticks up and contacts the sear. Back it out, you should see the front trigger start creeping towards the front. If not, take the triggers out of the gun and look. Could be a broken flat spring, easy to make from hacksaw blade, and jamming things up a bit.
    You did good! Clean the heck out of the barrel, install a new drum, drill it for the nipple using a Track of the Wold drum drilling jig (not expensive) and enjoy!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    Well, you have a Siler lock there, so that's about a $100 dollar lock.
    You think so? The lock and the triggers are clean and they do work. the triggers are a double set target style, and must be set before the trigger can be tripped. The lock may be a conversion lock, as there is a spot that looks like it was silver soldered and is miscolored. The lock has a tiny "I" stamped inside. The trigger has "DRU" stamped on the side.
    I am still trying to figure out exactly what I have. the barrel is 40 1/2" long, 15/16" across, and 50 caliber. I do think the barrel is loaded, but cannot pull a ball right now because of my shoulder. After I pull the ball and clean it out, I will try to clean the bore as advised above. Thanks for all of your help! Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast