RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fullfilled a bucket list item. New 1886/71 in 45-70

I have had a eye out for a nice 1886 in 45/70 for 50 yrs. I've owned several in 33 Win but never had the heart to have them rebarreled to 45/70. Same with 71s owned a few and never could get around to having one done.
    I did have a Marlin 45/90 but terrible bore and not strong enough for 45/70 loads that I wanted to shoot. Around 15yrs ago I was at an auction and their was a late model 1886 Sporting Rifle in 45/70 on the block. I didn't bid on any other guns, waiting for it to come up. It was in original box unfired with hang tags and docs from a HWD store in Kansas. I was prepared to go my whole nut and when bidding started my paddle caught fire it went for over $6K. I thought that was ridiculous but there was a binder with gun that had documented it from factory on to original purchaser, who was just a common citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have had a eye out for a nice 1886 in 45/70 for 50 yrs. I've owned several in 33 Win but never had the heart to have them rebarreled to 45/70. Same with 71s owned a few and never could get around to having one done.
    I did have a Marlin 45/90 but terrible bore and not strong enough for 45/70 loads that I wanted to shoot. Around 15yrs ago I was at an auction and their was a late model 1886 Sporting Rifle in 45/70 on the block. I didn't bid on any other guns, waiting for it to come up. It was in original box unfired with hang tags and docs from a HWD store in Kansas. I was prepared to go my whole nut and when bidding started my paddle caught fire it went for over $6K. I thought that was ridiculous but there was a binder with gun that had documented it from factory on to original purchaser, who was just a common citizen.
    Sometimes its just not worth it. You'll get lucky one day! I walked in a gun shop and bought mine for 250$... The owner said the employee paid to much for it. It was a "project gun". Sounds good to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I bought a Pedersoli "Sporting Rifle" in 45/70 as a retirement present to myself after 46 years of working. 26" barrel with full magazine and shotgun butt. Compliments my Pedersoli 38/55 Hiwall and 44/40 Lightning pump.

May I live long enough to wear them out!

Beautiful rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Pedersoli does make a nice rifle ! Have a couple Rollers we are right happy with.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Kevin18
    I agree been a reloader for years! And I've never seen 45-70 brass laying around to pick up an reuse! So I knew I had to buy some brass to have for reloading. Figured I'd just buy a few boxes 4 for about $200 have fun shooting some and keep the rest for hunting with. An 20 empties should reload many times!At $2 plus for factory rounds I can reload them for less then $.50.

If you dont reload super high pressure stuff. They will last a long time. Maybe even annealing the case mouths here and there... Its the high pressure that thins them out. I don't have that issue. I don't go over 1500 fps. Some would say that is the reason to get modern rifles. They load them up close to 3000 fps. I dont see the reason to. Plenty tests have been made and fat and slow gets the job done. It has alot more penetration. Fast explodes on impact. And doesn't go very deep..

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    Yep runin mid pressure loads is the key to long case life. I have yet to trim any of the cases ! Although the Rem cases have actually gotten shorter? Still within spec but definitely shorter!

Boolit Master
    The more I shot this 1886 the more I love it. Really kicking myself in the **** for not getting one sooner. Truly a work of art. A mans lever gun . Like my Win 94 an Rossi 92 just feels so right in my hands!

Glad your're enjoying it. I went out with my 1873 this weekend Buckhorn sights are pretty hard to see...

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    Just got the bolt mounted Creedmoore ! And finally got it installed- loved the last step- should be done by a qualified Gunsmith? It was a PITA! But it's on now I just need to go sight it in. Now a question for you Creedmoore guys did you have a problem with glare on the bottom of the eye aperture? I do . Maybe its just the lighting in my home haven't had it outside yet. If you do what was your cure. I've shot peeps on ARs for years and never had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    Kev18
    Just got the bolt mounted Creedmoore ! And finally got it installed- loved the last step- should be done by a qualified Gunsmith? It was a PITA! But it's on now I just need to go sight it in. Now a question for you Creedmoore guys did you have a problem with glare on the bottom of the eye aperture? I do . Maybe its just the lighting in my home haven't had it outside yet. If you do what was your cure. I've shot peeps on ARs for years and never had this problem.
    Some sights have different issues. It might also be your eyes. Some people see a hair-like object through the peep hole but there isnt anything there. They say a cure is to make the hole bigger.
    Maybe if you put something in the hole to stop reflecting light, it will work. Like a Sharpie or matte paint.

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    I got out to sight it in ! Must have been the lighting in my house as I didn't have the problem while shooting. All is good much better then the Buckhorns! Now just need to work on my load to get it dialed in at distance. Right now I'm comfortable out to 125 yards with my load need to see if it is accurate to 200 yards.

Kev18
    I got out to sight it in ! Must have been the lighting in my house as I didn't have the problem while shooting. All is good much better then the Buckhorns! Now just need to work on my load to get it dialed in at distance. Right now I'm comfortable out to 125 yards with my load need to see if it is accurate to 200 yards.
    Will you be shooting long range targets or hunting?

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    I will be using it for Muley hunt this year. So a 200 yard shot is possible! I do have some 300 gr Wins to allow further shots but I'd really like to use my cast load.

Kev18
    I will be using it for Muley hunt this year. So a 200 yard shot is possible! I do have some 300 gr Wins to allow further shots but I'd really like to use my cast load.
    200 yards with heavy cast is possible. Just make sure to practice and know your rifle.

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    Yep for sure! Right now getting about 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards with my cast load. So still with in 4" at 125 yards! So until I get better 125 yards or closer or no shot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12