Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullfilled a bucket list item. New 1886/71 in 45-70

Boolit Master

Fullfilled a bucket list item. New 1886/71 in 45-70

Though its not a real Win 1886 I now own a beautiful Pedersoli 1886/71 in 45-70! A true bigbore! Real enough for me! Always had a love for lever guns an this was one I've want for along time. Got the bug and went to Cabelas a couple weeks ago! They had a couple of actual Miroko Wins in 45-70 but $1800 was to steep for me! As it was I traded in a Yugo 59/66 to drop the price on the Pedersoli down to about $700. That made it worth it! Add in reloading dies 3 boxes of ammo for brass an bullet die form Lee it still cost me about $950! But by god I have my 1886 an Im lovin it!

Boolit Master

Great gun! Love grail guns!!

Congratulations!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it. Which of the Lee molds did you get? I have a couple of the Miroku/Browning 1886's and enjoy them on occasion. The crescent buttplate sure lets you know it's there with anything above gentle loads. Then again, it's a 45-70, no need for anything but gentle.
    Rick

Moderator Emeritus

Good for you. Congrats

Boolit Master

Nice one...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Nice one. Enjoy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Now ain’t that a Great feeling. I was fortunate enough to get an original 1886 now in 45/70 though it left the factory as a 40-65. The best part for me my WIFE talked me into it after I had said no.
    Enjoy your prize. I was shooting a 405 grain with 10 grains of Unique on Sunday and it vaporized full coke bottles.

Dreams CAN come true !

Congrats !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    RickinTN
    Went with the 340 gr PB mold. At $2 a round I knew right off the bat this was a reloading endeavor. I would love to get a bunch of the Win 300gr JHP/JSPs as it loves shooting the SuperX 300 gr JHP's . But no one seems to have them in stock or available! So for now I'm running the cast loads. Settle on 42gr of IMR3031 at 1580 fps a mid load that's not to abusive. It should be a good deer load out to 200 as well!

Boolit Master
    Over here you have to reload for a 45-70 .factory £180 for a100 .my Loads £20 per 100 .who wants jacket bullets in a 45-70?

Boolit Master

That should be a good bullet. I have the mold also. It fits my Marlin very well, engraving slightly on the nose. In my Miroku/Brownings it's too tight a fit on the nose so a no-go. It should work well with about 12 grains Unique also but I haven't had the opportunity to try it.
    Hope you enjoy your rifle,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    robg

I agree I shoot mostly cast in everything ! But those Win 300 jhp's shoot very good in my 1886! And they should be deadly on muley's or anything else I need to shoot.

RickinTN

Yep just waiting on my Bolt mount Peep site. From Pedersoli . As my old eyes don't do buck horns well past 100 yards anymore! But in side 100 yards even off hand anything still is in big trouble!

Must be a nice '86 week for everyone. I finally got my Vernier tang sight that iv'e wanted forever! I think my rifle is finally complete after a few years. Mine is an original, do you have pictures of yours?

Boolit Master
    Here is a pic

So Kevin is yours a 3 shot mag? Don't see any mag tube on it? Mine is a short 5 shot or half mag tube. What year is yours? it's a beauty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedersoli 1886 71.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    Here is a pic

So Kevin is yours a 3 shot mag? Don't see any mag tube on it? Mine is a short 5 shot or half mag tube. What year is yours? it's a beauty!
    Yup, three shot button mag, Full octagon barrel. 40-82WCF. Made in 1888-89. They are great guns. Gets the job done for sure!

Boolit Master
    Kev18
    Now that's an odd ball cartridge! But I'm sure it will get the job done. As my moniker says I'm a 45 caliber guy! Hence the going with 45-70! More then enough gun for anything I'd want to hunt and then some! So you necking down 45-90 cases?

I bought a Pedersoli "Sporting Rifle" in 45/70 as a retirement present to myself after 46 years of working. 26" barrel with full magazine and shotgun butt. Compliments my Pedersoli 38/55 Hiwall and 44/40 Lightning pump.

May I live long enough to wear them out!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    Kev18
    Now that's an odd ball cartridge! But I'm sure it will get the job done. As my moniker says I'm a 45 caliber guy! Hence the going with 45-70! More then enough gun for anything I'd want to hunt and then some! So you necking down 45-90 cases?
    The cases are basically necked down 45-90, with alittle off the top. At first I used to buy the boxes on Buffalo arms and at the end I ordered three on GAD customs. Im Canadian so with exchange rates and border fees it was about 200$ a box... for 20 rounds. You can Imagine that I have around 6-8 boxes, the cost.... So I knew I had to reload. I haven't had to make more brass. I have been shooting the same brass batch for 3-4 years now with no issues. I still have over 100 new cartridges that have never been touched. I pretty mouch own everything that relates to the cartridge. Moulds, reloading tools, dies... Also alot relating to the 1886 itself.

260-310 grain bullet will knock down anything il ever see during my life time!

[QUOTE=Bad *** Wallace;4708353]I bought a Pedersoli "Sporting Rifle" in 45/70 as a retirement present to myself after 46 years of working. 26" barrel with full magazine and shotgun butt. Compliments my Pedersoli 38/55 Hiwall and 44/40 Lightning pump.

May I live long enough to wear them out!

Those will be in great shape for generations to come. I really want an original High-Wall! Iv'e seen a few but all small bores. I want a big bore...

Boolit Master

Super nice guys!!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast