RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 2nd time to the range today with my M1917...it shot SUB MOA with irons!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

2nd time to the range today with my M1917...it shot SUB MOA with irons!!!

And J words...sorry.lol

...I had to show off my 100 yard, three shot group today while I was adjusting my sight.

All three shots went on the same hole approx 4.5” high...yes...the same hole!...with the original open sights and unaltered rifle. I was trying to zero it at 100 yards and shot about a 2” group low and left. I pushed my front post left and shot about an inch right, low, and approx a little under a 2” group if I had to guess. I slid my peep up and pushed my front post pack to the right a hair and retested. I put two shots in the same hole in the bulls and the third maybe 2” low. I was shooting with a piece of tape over my shooting glasses with a pinhole through to try and help my dominant eye focus better on the front blade. I removed my glasses and shot. That’s when I shot the “one holer”. For some reason my POA shifted 4.5” high without the shooting aid. I then slid my peep all the way down and shot the last two rounds I had hitting a hair low of center and then a little to the right.

I should have bought a lottery ticket today!

Here’s my 100 yard three shot group using the original iron sights. The other two shots towards the bullseye I’m guessing we’re from someones 223 as I was using an abandoned target someone left.

Here’s the last two rounds after the final adjustment. I’m calling it good.

I was pretty impressed with myself and my half a century old eyes today! I found out the gun shoots better than I can with open sights, unless I can hold it still enough. I wasn’t expecting this out of a rifle that wasn’t bedded, didn’t have a 1.5lb target trigger, or a high power optic on it. Now if I could only shoot that tight with it every time I pull the trigger!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-13-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Open and peep sights don't get the respect they are due.

I've talked to several people over the years that are convinced you can't hardly hit the ground without
    a scope about the size of your leg.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Wow! Tripplebeards, that is fantastic shooting in anyone's book. I think you can brag on yourself, and your rifle. Now go out tomorrow and do it again. If you are even close, you have a winner. I know you said you used j words for your projectile. I'm sure you will graduate to the good cast kind soon.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Wow! Tripplebeards, that is fantastic shooting in anyone's book. I think you can brag on yourself, and your rifle. Now go out tomorrow and do it again. If you are even close, you have a winner. I know you said you used j words for your projectile. I'm sure you will graduate to the good cast kind soon.
    Here was the three shot group with my third try before the above targets to get me on center. Two in the same hole...just touching the top of the bullseye. You can see the third shot went low and right at the bottom of the photo.

I went out with the rifle for the first time last week to try the iron sights and shot 5, 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it. All were 3 to 3.5” to the right and averaged 2.5” to 3” groups. I went yesterday to push the front sight to the left to get it to zeroed at 100 yards. I believe I’m getting use to shooting the gun since my groups are tightening up. You know I did clean the barrel for the first time in 20 years before I went out yesterday so I’m sure that helped.lol. Now that it’s on I’ll have to load up a couple 100 and spend the day plinking at longer ranges. The farthest at my range is 200 yards so I’ll see how it does at twice the distance next time out.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-14-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Large diameter barrel spud with tight fitting square threads and people wonder that they shoot well. Hee!

My massive lotto jackpot fantasy is to start up a factory making those actions again. Boggles my mind that we're still making Mauser '98's, but not those. Maybe steal some of Paul's gas shielding, but otherwise, a far better rifle, IMO.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

That is great shooting! I firmly believe my Springfield is capable of way better accuracy than I get with the iron sights......it's my dang old eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    That is great shooting! I firmly believe my Springfield is capable of way better accuracy than I get with the iron sights......it's my dang old eyes!

I had a1903a3 that I traded a muzzel loader for back in 95’ from the guys brother I gift this enfield from. I was dumb enough to have it drilled and tapped. I also installed a Timney trigger and Boyd’s grey laminate stock on it. I got bored with it and sold it for about $275 on GB about 10 years ago. The thing shot .5” groups with reloads. I get an ulcer every time I think about having it drilled and tapped. I want an original one now(again) and leave that way so my M1917 has company.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Were you using your M1907 sling 'looped up' for support? If not, the late LTC 'Jeff' Cooper claimed a 30% increase in accuracy from using the sling. That may be stretching it a bit, but it is worthwhile for anyone with a M1907 sling and an interest in deliberate shooting to try.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    Were you using your M1907 sling 'looped up' for support? If not, the late LTC 'Jeff' Cooper claimed a 30% increase in accuracy from using the sling. That may be stretching it a bit, but it is worthwhile for anyone with a M1907 sling and an interest in deliberate shooting to try.
    No, off the bench using a rest. My M1907 sling will be going on this week after I find and buy a buttstock swivel.

Boolit Master

Some nice groups for iron sights.
    Wish I'm not too myopic with even worse astigmatism to rely on iron sights past 50 yards.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master

Great shooting!