RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M99 in 250-3000

Boolit Master

M99 in 250-3000

Hi all, I have found a 1950 Savage M99 chambered in 250-3000. The gun is in very good original condition, except for a Redfield type scope mount and missing read sight. This is the caliber that most interests me in a M99, so I am highly tempted. Issue is , I have no real idea of the current market value. Anyone have any thoughts, is the 250 more uncommon?? Is 1950 a good period in their production? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Get it! A 1950s gun will have a 1:10 twist and can shoot 100gr bullets . Maybe 120 gr. I have a 1920s PP WITH A 1;14 twist that shoot light bullets. Would like it to shoot 100gr for deer. It is a light gun with low recoil. Will readily drop deer at a decent range. Brass is availabe, more so than for my 257 Rbts AI . Get it and enjoy it. If you are old you don't need iron sights , scopes are wonderful. If you want to restore sights/parts are available.

Boolit Master
    Serial # lookup date is 1950, if that is definitely 1/10 then a bigger plus! Is 850$ reasonable, good, bad???
    I ain’t old, just 60 dangit! I like and use open sights almost exclusively on my deer rifles, but. That said, I would put my 2x Alaskan on this rifle in 250, just cause. Only concern is the stock drop is a bit low for scope use,,, choices choices. I figure if push comes to shove on brass, there’s plenty of 6.5 creedmore around and a pass thru the die corrects it back to 250-3000. Funny that a 1914 cartridge case/ concept is now the darling of the modern world
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I bought a 99EG 250/3000 last year. It is a 1950 and shoots 100-117gr bullets well. It's not the rifle I wanted but it's in excellent shape. It has been D&Ted and sling studs installed. I wanted a straight stock carbine like I once had when young. I only like older models with lever safety and spool mag. Mine came with 4x scope and rear sight replaced with Lyman folder. I bought and probably paid to much but have wanted one for some time.
    I've had quite a few in 300sav & 303sav but 250s are rare in these parts. A decent 99 in any caliber will be $600 to $700 in this area. The 250 and 38/55s bring top dollar. A really nice gun will be tagged at $1K plus in these two cartridges. I've shot 2 boxes of factory Win after I mounted K12x, just to see what it would do 1.25" average. Have shot another 40rds of loads with 117RN JSPs / different loads of 4895 and got similar results. I don't want it scoped. I have a original tang but am looking for a reciever sight that doesn't look like a erector set.

Boolit Master
    Thank you , prowled gunbroker and have about decided to see what I can trade with. Erector set... gave me a giggle and I agree! I think it will come home with me, assuming the bore is good, I have no interest in a wall hanger. How was the drop at comb with a scope??

Boolit Buddy
    1950 99's were still 1 in 14 twist. Change to 1 in 10 came about in the 60's.

A great caliber in the Savage 1899/99. Around here $600 would be a steal and most likely pushing $800-1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    A great caliber in the Savage 1899/99. Around here $600 would be a steal and most likely pushing $800-1000.

It's a D/T'd (for scope bases) gun that IIRC didn't leave the factory that way; but it's a .250-3000 - I'm thinking it's worth about $750, so maybe some dickering can git 'er done.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, I am going to check it in detail tomorrow and see what trade interests can be entertained. Anybody shooting cast in one of this vintage? I have an 80gr NOE Ranchdog for “squirrels an such”

Boolit Buddy
    I have my Dad’s M99G in 250 Savage, with a 4x Unertl Hawk scope. With 100 gr Remington core lokt cartridges the first round is always about 4” right and 2” low, then it tightens up to around 2” of zero at 100 yards. I believe I have a 1-14, it dates from the early 1950’s. I’ve now loaded up some 87gr bullets to try next time I can get to the range, and will be curious to see if there is a noticeable difference in accuracy. This cartridge is deadly on whitetail deer, most drop where they are hit in our experience.

Boolit Master
    Interesting, is the first round flier a common issue with the M99? I have had a few rifles do that and it is AGRAVating!

The 87 gr soft point at 3000 FPS will kill any deer at reasonable ranges. Do you think 13 grs makes a magic difference? I don’t. Get it you’ll be so pleased. My wife hunts with a bolt action .250 and sometimes I sneak it out.....

My 1950 vintage 99 is 1:14 twist but will stabilize 117 grain round nose bullets OK. 120 grain bullets just go away. I have killed several western mule and white tail deer with 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets but the .250 is a bit light for deer size animals.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I really didn't notice any unusual drop in stock vs scope. I've only fired the gun off bags and wasn't paying much attention to that. None of my woods deer guns have scopes on them except a 870 12g. Most have reciever sights. I hunt in thick cover and scope is a handi cap. I'm shooting jumped deer and seldom shoot over 100yds.
    As far as killing deer the 250 is plenty good enough. At woods ranges the deer can't tell whether he was done in with a 243 or 257Roberts either. I don't know what it is with guys anymore. One guy is bragging what a deer killer a 223 is and next page is another guy with a 405gr wide metaplate 45/70 which is necessary for a clean kill on a deer. I have a big selection of .257 bullets from previous 25 cal rifles and a 85gr HP mold. I'm liking the RN 119 for a deer load. Deer are not Cape Buffalo but they do require you hit them with a decent shot before they give up the ghost.

Boolit Master
    I will , most likely, find a replacement rear sight and deer hunt with the open sights. I rarely hunt any more with a scope , except squirrels. For the way I hunt the 250 will be just fine, I am very picky about the shots I take. Really hoping the bore is in good shape, we shall see. Hopefully can post pictures of it soon

Boolit Master

That 80 grain NOE with 5 or 6 grains Bullseye or Red Dot, if it will retain headspace, should make a handy squirrel load. That is of course unless you run in to some of those big Fox squirrels, then the minimum would be 38-55.
    We need pics!
    Rick

I have quite a few levers and they all have straight stocks. When Ohio got rifle a few years back I traded up a Marlin 375win. Nice rifle, couldn't get with pistol grip stock it just didn't point natural to me. This 99EG doesn't bother me and seems a natural pointer. It is a wee bit short stocked but with winter duds it will be ok. This kind of thing only matters for a stalking rifle. If you hunt from stands any accurate rifle will do.

Boolit Master
    I am a stalker/still hunter so I like a rifle that points like a nice double. This one fits that description. I have handled the later (fatter) 99s and they were bulky and not to my liking. This one is slim printable, and I like the grip on it. Very slim waisted.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

I have handled the later (fatter) 99s and they were bulky and not to my liking.

I heartily agree...

I owned a couple of 1950's Model 99's, and found them cumbersome; but when I picked up/handled this ca. 1914 Model 1899-H Lightweight Carbine (20" slim bbl), I bought it in a New York Minute.

The fact that Cabela's had placed a chump change price tag on it (well under $400) made for a sweet deal.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Poetry, when I zoomed in on that pretty rifle, I saw and read your tag line, ain’t it the truth! now I am going to clean the sun drop off my phone. This rifle serial numbered to 1950 seems much less bulky than other 60, 70 vintage I have looked at. To me, it isn’t a 99 without the rotary mag and she’ll count window. Nice saex , you make it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast