WidenersRotoMetals2ADvertise hereRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5505 USD (92%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M99 in 250-3000

Boolit Master

I don't remember the vintage on this old '99, but it was a blast working up loads for her. I finally settled on a 100gr. Speer soft point and H4895. It would hold 1 MOA all the way out to 300 yards - never tested it any farther than the 315 that I took this antelope at!
    I sold that rifle for $650 just the way you see it in the photo. But I found that I really didn't want to do without, so I bought another '99 in 250 Savage a couple of years ago, and I'm a happy camper!
    By the way, I tried 4 or 5 100gr. bullets before I found the Speer. They all hit the target at varying degrees of sideways. The Speer is almost a round nose, and has a flat base, so the overall length is shorter than any of the others. I think that is the key Vs. weight - just make sure it is short enough for the 1 in 14 twist to stabilize.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Obsesd1958- one of my favorite goat hunting clients almost apologetically hauled one out much like yours a few years back. We passed several up And finally got a nice one at 180 yards. No drama, one shot, spun and fell. His 7mag and 26 Nosler toting friends ridiculed him BEFORE the hunt. I think I was prouder than him and I made sure the magnum boys knew it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My favorite deer guns are all slim line type. I've shot a lot of deer with a Rem 141/35cal, Win 1895/ 30-06 and Win & Marlin levers. Starting in 60s Sav and Marlin started with beaver tail forearms and chubbier than necessary stocks. I never liked 742/760 Rems but they feel like shotguns. The early rifles had wood flush with actions and simple but functional stocks. Some of the Stocks grew because of the trend to scope rifles. If a rifle doesn't fit you it doesn't make a good offhand gun. You should have the sight on the game as a reflex without looking for it.

Boolit Man
    Those with 1 in 14 twist should try the Sierra 90gr HPBT game king or the Barnes 80gr TSX. Both are deadly on deer and shoot well in slow twist 99's. With proper bullet placement Speer 87's doo well also. Nothing magic about 100gr. Bullets have improved since 1915!

Boolit Buddy
    Unless deer have grown armor plate recently, a 250 Savage is excellent for them. My first 257 Roberts would only shoot starting loads from the Hodgdon data accurately. It killed 43 whitetails with 43 shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12