Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M99 in 250-3000

Boolit Master
    Well it’s mine. Mine,Mine, mine!! As I think about it, this is the first sub 30 caliber centerfire I have bought in near 25 years. Gotta get me a rear sight and some dies, brass and bullets. Going to clean the bore real good and see what the exact twist is, like 13,14,15?? It is 24 inch barrel and lever stamp is 23A, so 1949 EG? Serial number lookup said 1950, of well minor mystery. Weighs 6.2 nice handy pounds, I like!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Well played! (Yes, 1949. The date code is more accurate than serial number for determining age. The action was probably made in 1949 and actually assembled into a gun in 1950 in this instance.)

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A395CF59-63AE-45AD-A0C2-AA2F1D9565C9.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	247534
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The 75gr Sierra and Hornady hollow points let the gooey parts out of varmints real well and SWMBO has taken a couple of does with them but they barely killed them
    Sorry about the jacketed talk.
    That's a great looking gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just got dies and some brass coming, 200 87speers too. I have an 80 gr Ranchdog mold, just need some time to cast a bit. All I need now is a rear sight, may just slip in a fold down takeoff from my misc box. See how it shoots soon. That picture is the one a good friend sent me, note said “ looks like something you would like” , well yeah. I wind up finding guns I didn’t know I was looking for. More pictures to come, just thought it was in really nice shape to be 70 .

Boolit Buddy
    I FL size Lapua 22-250 brass in the nice tapered expander plug Hornady dies have as opposed to the blunt RCBS version with zero case loss.Actual .250 brass is scarce here in Canada.

Boolit Master
    Well, thought I would update. Not only is this my first M99, but it is also the absolute worst copper fouled gun I have ever seen! I have been cleaning with Hoppes 3 times a day for a week, it still comes out green! Bore is feeling pretty smooth now, and I have 25 87 Speers loaded to test. I AM going to get this clean! Then I will see how it shoots. I found a Burris 1 3/4 x5 scope, really no idea where I got it, but that’s another story. I stuck the lil Burris on for now, probably take the Alaskan off my M69A in the long run, or, more likely put a rear sight on it as the cheek weld is non existent. Loaded 34.5 gr of AA 4064 for a first test load, soon as I get the green funk out.

Boolit Buddy
    Get some Montana Extreme copper Killer or some Wipe Out for the copper. My M99R 250 has a barrel that is pitted from rust before I got it. Copper fouls something fierce, Wipe Out left in the bore overnight, patch and repeat will get the job done.

Boolit Master
    Got it clean, finally. Shot it a bit today, dang it’s hot. Took 2 to get it on at 25 yards, then 3 at 85 yards off the truck window into a couple inches, pulled 1. Adjusted 5 clicks down and 3 more into about 1 1/2. Zeroed for coyotes and playing for now. Incidentally, the backstop is clay, dry and hard. I picked up a few of the “used” Speer 87s, they did not shed their cores and I find that good strength considering the “test media“! I like it, I think it will be scopeless by deer season, just dosen’t feel or point like I want with the scope on it. Just first impressions for now. Nice rifles, glad I didn’t let it get away.

Boolit Buddy
    I have reformed several different caliber cases into 250. I found a 6.5 creed on the ground at the range this week. It reformed easier and nicer than anything that I have tried so far .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123