WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books on edible berries.

Books on edible berries.

I have what I believe is elderberry bushes on the farm. There are several bushes that I think are different varieties of elderberry, but I aint sure. Does anyone know of a good book, or website, they would recommend that has details and close up pictures of leaves, bark and berries? I googled pictures, but from the 20 feet the picture was taken at, I cant see it well enough for a positive ID.

If im right, I have enough I could make something out of them. I dont know any old timers that know these things. Everyone I ask says they dont know.

Thanks

Bazoo.

Thanks Tatume, thats better than i've found previously. Most likely the ones im thinking of are elderberrys.

However, we have another variety, that the wife thinks is a variety of elderberry, and looks completely different.

Id like a book with detailed pictures and description. I prefer books over internet. One because I dont have internet at the house other than the wifes phone, and it dont work so swift.

In front of me right now are:
    Peterson Field Guide to Wildflowers of Northeastern/North-central North America
    National Audubon Society Field Guide to Wildflowers
    Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (which covers VA, NC, SC, TN & KY).

The Peterson's Guide does not include elderberry.
    The Audubon Guide does include elderberry and redberry elder, with a description and photos.
    The Flora includes both species as well.

The Audubon Guide is a lay-accessible book that is useful to most interested amateurs.

The Flora is a highly technical guide intended for professional plant taxonomists (I am one). It is difficult to use without a background in botany and extensive practice.

The key differences between the two species, Sambucus canadensis and S. pubens are these:

S. canadensis (elderberry) has black or purple fruit and the pith of the second-year wood is white or cream colored.

S. pubens (redberry elder) has red fruit and the pith of second-year wood is brown.

Both species are found in Kentucky. Elderberry is found in swamp forests, alluvial woods and pastures, usually in open habitats. Redberry elder is found in deciduous woods and openings at high elevations. It is unlikely that they would be found together.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    Bazoo care to post the pics of the ones u are wondering about.

Boolit Master
    There's gobs of elderberries(the black variety) ripe for the taking around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    There's gobs of elderberries(the black variety) ripe for the taking around here!
    Just a vicious rumor- but they're supposed to make really good wine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Just a vicious rumor- but they're supposed to make really good wine.
    And once you run the wine through the "water purification unit" it can make a decent brandy also.....

Boolit Master

We used to have a lot of elderberry bushes around here, but they sort of died off. Hardly any left any more. My mother used to make delicious elderberry preserves every year. The neighbor made wine, really good stuff with a kick that sneaked up on you. Kinda like hard cider. As kids, we used to have elderberry fights, hit each other with the berry blossom heads that looked like we were all bloodied up. Mom got mad because it stained our clothes. All a long time ago, like 60+ years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    In front of me right now are:
    Peterson Field Guide to Wildflowers of Northeastern/North-central North America
    National Audubon Society Field Guide to Wildflowers
    Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas (which covers VA, NC, SC, TN & KY).

The Peterson's Guide does not include elderberry.
    The Audubon Guide does include elderberry and redberry elder, with a description and photos.
    The Flora includes both species as well.

The Audubon Guide is a lay-accessible book that is useful to most interested amateurs.

The Flora is a highly technical guide intended for professional plant taxonomists (I am one). It is difficult to use without a background in botany and extensive practice.

The key differences between the two species, Sambucus canadensis and S. pubens are these:

S. canadensis (elderberry) has black or purple fruit and the pith of the second-year wood is white or cream colored.

S. pubens (redberry elder) has red fruit and the pith of second-year wood is brown.

Both species are found in Kentucky. Elderberry is found in swamp forests, alluvial woods and pastures, usually in open habitats. Redberry elder is found in deciduous woods and openings at high elevations. It is unlikely that they would be found together.

Take care, Tom
    Tom, one assumes that they are equally edible? That's really what he's asking.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Wayne,

Since one species lives in lowlands and the other lives high in the mountains, it is unlikely that he has both species. At least one of them is not related to elderberry, possibly neither. Therefore, we really don't know what either plant is, and cannot predict the properties.

Also, even if one of the plants is elderberry (something in which I have little confidence), according to the USDA, elderberry is toxic without proper preparation.

My recommendation is to consult a local expert who can examine the plants first hand, and then proceed with caution. Someone at a local university might be able to help.

As an aside, I once received a letter from an old acquaintance. Inside was a leaf and a brief request for identification. A few days later I received another letter, also containing a leaf. The second letter read, "I realized one leaf isn't much to go on, so I've sent you another."

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

For me the giveaway for elderberries in my yard are the large white clusters of elder flowers that appear before the berries appear . Once you have seen the flowers and then see the berries you can be sure of what you have .
    Be careful when using...the juice stains anything and everything purple .
    When a child my Mom told me and my brother they were poisonous , that was a lie ...she didn't want us eating them and getting our clothes , hands and faces all stained with dark purple juice... she later admitted to it .
    They don't taste very good unless cooked so don't consume raw in any quantity. Cooking renders them safe and much better tasting Have made a lot elderberry jelly and one gallon jug of elderberry wine .... it turned out very sweet and very alcoholic ! Elderberry jelly is very good , just follow the directions in the box of Sure Jell

There is another plant that makes similar looking berries but not the large cluster of white flowers...
    Leave that one alone , not sure what the plant is but the berries are not edible .
    If you haven't seen the large white cluster of elder flowers before the berrys's appear , don't eat them !
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Books by Samuel Thayer, like Forager's Harvest and others are well illustrated with photos and detailed descriptions. If it's in his books, he's personally done it. He comments on the need for great care in choosing books on the subject of wild edibles and laments the old wive's tales and flat-out wrong things which he's seen in books which purport to be authoritative. You'll find good information on elderberries as well as a bunch of others I was never aware of.

Boolit Master

You might want to contact your local agricultural extension service. Someone there should be knowledgeable about this.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    You might want to contact your local agricultural extension service. Someone there should be knowledgeable about this.
    this would be my first step and they will do it for free
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Vendor Sponsor

Yes i was agreeing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Beware of the round brown berries on the ground.
    They could be deer droppings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    high energy range raisins

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Or rabbit pellets or sheep droppings ... all depending on size of course !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks for the replies.

The bush I believe to be elderberries did have large fluffy white flower heads in spring. I asked a friend about where the extension office is and will probably take a sample of each down there for identification. I'll also look into the Samuel Taylor books, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast