RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .44-40 Vs .45LC in Current Winchester 1873

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, and I chose the 44-40 simply because historically (that's important to me, not to everybody) it is the most likely choice. The 45 Colt was never chambered in rifles. I shoot my 44-40 with a full case of FFG and a 200 gr MAV big lube boolit.

Seems to me if you want full power go to the 44Mag or the 500 S&W. If you want to compete you will want the least recoil and are likely to go to the 38Special. Decide your purpose and let that determine your choice.

Historically the Army used the 45 S&W and the 45-70 rifle, to be simple. Civilians could choose between the 44 American, the 44 Russian, the 44-40, the 45 Colt, the 45 S&W, and later the 38 S&W. Of these I believe that only the 44-40 was chambered in both rifles and revolvers. The next cartridge that was chambered in both was the 38-40, a necked down 44-40, and then the 32-20.

The above is off the top of my head and will have mistakes, but my purpose is the same. Historically the Army never had pistols and rifles chambered the same. For the rest of us it was the 44-40, the 38-40, and the 32-20 if you wanted a rifle and pistol chambered the same. Somehow I doubt that was the critical issue back then, what was available in the store and the available money probably drove every choice. That's why the shotgun was the most common firearm in the western expansion. Simply practical.
    THANK YOU for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Don't often disagree with Savvy Jack but "Dead is dead no matter if it's a 1/4" group or a 12" group when it finds it's mark!" is correct only when the mark is hit and hitting the mark is certainly easier with the 1/4" group and much more consistent, especially at the longer ranges and that "when" can take a lot more shots with the 12" group........
    LOL, thanks!!!

That statement needs explanation but if the point of aim at 200 yards is always center and the groups extend only 6" in any direction from center...it is certainly a dead deer at least. Maybe miss a fox, coyote or groundhog but..........I shoot for food not sport, but not to have to survive. Never did have a need to word off unwanted animals...however...if my farm (if I had one) depended on it, I would certainly own and shoot a .308 or some other form of exotic caliber at least to ward off unwanted guests.

Now back to the 44-40 vs 45 Colt, 44-40 is certainly better at longer distances?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123