Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 400 GR v. 500 GR

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

400 GR v. 500 GR

quick question...............Have a 45-70 barrel (34") with a 18 twist. Been shooting 520-525. I want to try the 405 gr. (WHY????? just want to) Was told the 18 twist is not for light boolits and to use the larger ones. Just for silhouette and paper out to 200 yards...............When I look it up, all are talking about the 405 boolits. If so, would I keep the 70 of black gold????????Thanks beng

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Give them a try. You will not be disappointed. BP will not know the difference. Smokeless may start to strip them if you desire to get up to high FPS.
    We have a 33" Roller 45-70 1-18" and shoot 300 grainers in it. Range scrap and case full of 3F with a cereal box under the PB. They are as fun as can be and will blow bowling pins a good ways at 200 yards when I can hit them shooting off cross sticks.
    No I would not shoot past 300 yards with a 300 grainer. A 400 grainer has a nice curve to it at 300.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia
    Thanks Mike. Now you got me to thinking about less than 405's. I love the 525 with 70 of BP and a "John Walters" wad (.060) But at times you just want to mess around with something different.
    You in the Llama business? My wife has a friend in North Georgia who has a lot of Llamas. She has told me about how they can spit at you etc. I'll get a few 300 / 400 and try them just for giggles as they say. Thanks Ben

That 18 twist barrel should stabilize 405's all day long. As above tho, the lighter boolits will lose stability at long range and believe it or not, wind will knock em around way out.

2 or 300 yards tho will be fun what with the lighter recoil and more easy on the lead supply. 405's were the military load for years. Wanna have some REAL fun ... load 55 grains 2Fg under the 405 Lee hollow base round nose and take up the space with wads, these are a hoot and a half.

Getting away from BP, try trail boss under your 350 to 400 grain boolits ... these will go so rapidly that you will need twice the loads next range session ... FUN FUN FUN!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the lyman 405 its the lightened version of the 510, out to 200 yds it does good 300 is okay in my rifles. after 300 I fo to the 500, 535 o0w64o and a 550 grner. These do better at the longer ranges.
    I really don't up the velocity a lot on the 405s, since I don't need the extra and want to avoid the transition zones. I load BP and either spg or emmerts improved for lubes.