Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 1886 upper tang screw thread size?

1886 upper tang screw thread size?

So I finally got my Vernier tang sight that I talked about in a previous thread, but the screw that came with the tang sight ( Not commercially made ) strips the threads off when I try screwing it in. It looks a tad to big. So im wondering if I need to run a tap through the tang to clean it up or get anew screw maybe?

Boolit Grand Master

If my memory is correct it should be x12 - 28. If it's not that it might be 3/16-36NS since that is used in several places on the 1873's. I don't have an original 86. I did mount a tang sight on an original about 15 years ago but x12 - 28 is what I remember but I have x12 - 28, 3/16"-36 taps and 10-36 so it should be one of the two. 3/16"-36 taps and 10-36 are basically the same.

https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...m=1514783846/0

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...thread.791715/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-13-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

10-36. From what I understand the original Winchesters used 10-35.5 but I have not seen any taps that size. Brownells and Midway have them listed.

Il see what I can find for 10-36. The man emailed me and said his is 10-32. IS that the issue?

Boolit Grand Master

This is the Marbles sells for the originals https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marbles-Tan...-/392267062278

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tang Screw.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	246651
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Il see what I can find for 10-36. The man emailed me and said his is 10-32. IS that the issue?
    Part of the joy of working on older guns is that the screw sizes used are not industrial standards since standards were not adopted until later. John is correct that the actual pitch is 35.5 so the 10-36 is close enough however 10-32 is not. The Winchester Specs are .185" - 35 1/2.

If you need 10-36 lots of options here https://www.bing.com/shop?q=10-36+ta...A458CE15BDFA40

Irwin still makes 3/16" - 36 taps but I would go with the #10 https://www.mutualscrew.com/product/...tap-192363.cfm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester_Screws_2018-01-02_001__1024x803_.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	246654
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-13-2019 at 12:57 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Does it matter what kind of tab I get? I see some that are flat on the bottom and others pointed?

Would this work? Its for an 1885 but I think the tangs were the same right, so the screws must be too?

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...898-49515.aspx

Boolit Master

Most of you know this already, but a reminder that Sam Simmons custom makes tang sight screws for any thread. He's made several sets for me and they have been great. No need to use screws that kinda-sorta fit. His email is hoxycarman@hotmail.com.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Most of you know this already, but a reminder that Sam Simmons custom makes tang sight screws for any thread. He's made several sets for me and they have been great. No need to use screws that kinda-sorta fit. His email is hoxycarman@hotmail.com.
    I was not aware of him. Does he have a web site? I am not finding anything with a quick search.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I was not aware of him. Does he have a web site? I am not finding anything with a quick search.
    Not that I know of. But he usually responds to email pretty quickly.

Vendor Sponsor

The screw head does not have to be an exact fit but should be close.
    The picture is out of focus in the area of the front screw. Look at it closely and see if you can get a good match with the replacement screw head.

The sight looks like a well made vintage tang sight. I do not mean to nit-pick however it is not marked with a vernier scale on it. I am sure it will serve you well.

Is the screw supplier in the post above the one with the ebay listing for replacement screws?
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    The screw head does not have to be an exact fit but should be close.
    The picture is out of focus in the area of the front screw. Look at it closely and see if you can get a good match with the replacement screw head.

The sight looks like a well made vintage tang sight. I do not mean to nit-pick however it is not marked with a vernier scale on it. I am sure it will serve you well.

Is the screw supplier in the post above the one with the ebay listing for replacement screws?
    I like that it looks period correct. I really didnt want anything with modern aspects. I have the Winchester book and the sights look just like this. Some don't even have an adjustment screw, just an eye piece.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I like that it looks period correct. I really didnt want anything with modern aspects. I have the Winchester book and the sights look just like this. Some don't even have an adjustment screw, just an eye piece.
    Right!
    It does look period correct. Old Vernier sights can look exactly like yours and have the engraving on the side like yours BUT using a vernier scale rather than the evenly spaced lines on only the staff as yours does. All kinds of sights and variations were made including vernier tang sights back in the days these old rifles were new.

The one I have for the Win 1886 I shoot silhouette with is modern, a Baldwin and as such is not an exact copy of any old sight and was never intended to fit repeating lever rifles. I have just taken the correct Winchester sight base for the 1885 sight and used it on the 1886. Doing so, the bolt does not operate fully unless the sight is folded down. However, I may build a new sight base to allow it to work sometime in the future.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Right!
    It does look period correct. Old Vernier sights can look exactly like yours and have the engraving on the side like yours BUT using a vernier scale rather than the evenly spaced lines on only the staff as yours does. All kinds of sights and variations were made including vernier tang sights back in the days these old rifles were new.

The one I have for the Win 1886 I shoot silhouette with is modern, a Baldwin and as such is not an exact copy of any old sight and was never intended to fit repeating lever rifles. I have just taken the correct Winchester sight base for the 1885 sight and used it on the 1886. Doing so, the bolt does not operate fully unless the sight is folded down. However, I may build a new sight base to allow it to work sometime in the future.
    Well I didn't make this one. But I was on another forum and mentioned that I wanted one but didn't have crazy money to spend. A member commented saying that he had a rifle like mine with a vernier sight on it. He's a machinist and said he didn't care to make another one. So he gave me his personal sight. and gave it to me FOR FREE! I didn't even pay shipping. I wanted to but he just sent it...
    He saved me so much money! This kinda thing only happens once

Vendor Sponsor

An it wasn't even your birthday!

I guess I am not too surprised. I have met a lot of very helpful and generous people while rubbing elbows with riflemen who love these old rifles myself.
    That is very cool!

When you are a grey beard I bet you help out the young and new to our hobby too. It just seems to work out that way.

Enjoy and post some groups made with your new sight..
    Chill Wills

Im going to need to make more targets. I shoot in a swamp so I have a limited range. Il need to add targets up the mountain!