MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger 44 Special Flat Top

Boolit Buddy

Ruger 44 Special Flat Top

I drove a slug through a chamber and it measured 430.1. Is this an accurate way to measure. If so is it a good size.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm far from an expert so if I'm off base here let me know.
    If it were me I'd slug the barrel also. FYI the 4 Ruger revolvers I've had the barrel was tighter at the frame.
    And I use a BP lead ball to slug the barrel.
    Last edited by Daver7; 08-13-2019 at 08:21 AM.

You're good to go, Art, I've used the same method to measure throats and groove dia's for 40 years. I size all my .44 Spl's and Mag's to 0.430"...I'll add that their goove dia. is 1/2 thousandth smaller. The only exception to that 0.430" size is when I'm putting up loads for a pair of Marlin .44 Magnums. Their groove dia's. are over 0.432" and that's the size I use along with a Gas Check.

l cast exclusively with wheel weights plus enought tin added to get full mold fill out. Usually less than 2% as a rule. I lube with 50-50 alox/beeswax and air cool. Using the above, I have no significant leading....and what I do find, is removed by a pass or two with an ALL COPPER Chore Boy scouring pad cut up and wrapped around a well used bronze bristle bore brush. BTW, the Chore Boy pads in Walmart et. al., are steel plated with copper...a no-no in my opinion. I order my all copper ones on line every two-three years.

Best Regards, Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing I would add to Rodfac's excellent observations is to check all your chamber throats, not just one. Rugers, especially older guns, tend to often have considerable variance from chamber to chamber.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Push a slug through the bore, now push it into the cylinder throats from the front.

Providing the slug doesn't get tighter at the barrel/frame juncture, this would be a good way to check for good fitment. The slug should go into the cylinder pretty easy.

.430.1" is awfully close to bore size. Most that shoot cast would prefer to shoot .431" but throats would need to be .4315" so the boolits aren't downsized by the throats.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    In my New Model 44 Special Ruger BH I've had very good results with the Speer swaged .430" 240 grain swc's and the Oregon Trail hard cast .431" 240 grain swc's. BTW the Oregon Trail site says they developed the .431" 240 grain SWC's for Ruger BH's.