WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Why me?

Moderator Emeritus

Why me?

Have you ever heard someone say, "Why has this happened to me?", and maybe follow up with "I've tried to live a good life, and honor God, and pray; why me???" Of course you have. I doubt anyone has ever failed to hear this spoken by someone else or themselves a number of times in their lives. It goes along with the old question: "Why does God allow bad things happen to good people?"

Both of these indicate a very basic misunderstanding of Christ, and His purposes here, and his teachings. It implies that the speaker thinks they're someone so special, or so "godly," that they believe they should be exempt from the trials that are so common here on earth. Nothing could ever be further from the truth! God doesn't give us challenges in life as a punishment, but as an impetus for us to learn more, believe more deeply, and SHOW Him what we REALLY care about and believe in. It's really just that simple.

Just once, I'd like to hear someone say, "Why NOT me?" Now THAT is a question that's MUCH more fitting for a Christian. But I won't be holding my breath until I hear it. For that's just the way we humans have been created - just potentially good enough to find salvation, and just willful enough to walk away from it, at least try to for brief intervals. So if you ever find yourself asking "Why me?", just catch yourself, and smile a sheepish smile, and get off your duff and get up and address whatever it is facing you. Now THAT is what God really intends for us to do!

Boolit Master
    Wow great perspective. I heard someone say that 'bad things happened to a good person' just once. He bled and died in our place....

Thanks for this reminder and praying for you guys tonight

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

#1 Great to see you up and feeling good enough to post.

#2 Good lesson. He never lays more on us than we can handle. And he can always tell when we are in a slump faith wise.
    And send a little lesson down the line. Get us back thinking about what we should be thinking about.

At least that is my impression.

A lot of the stuff people complain about is pure free will in action. Drinking and driving will cost lives, may take the life of a loved one.
    They may have done nothing wrong.

And choices and decisions do have consequences. Seems a lot of people have not learned that one yet.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Dennis and all....the posts are point on and one for us to strive for!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

USMC 77, USRA 79

so often, being a christian means we will face more trials then most. satan seeks to destroy, lie, and all sorts of stuff to derail us. once sealed by the spirit, be become a bullseye to stop before we spread the love of Christ. also, remember this, we are the clay, he is the potter. how do we get reshapen without first resigning to be a lump of clay? how are we refined without the fire? are we entitled to a peaceful life because we accept and believe? no.. we are not to be comfortable, but constantly streached and stirred. nothing in the word says that we will slide by all comfy. and folks that use that gimick to get believers isnt working for the God I serve. the word says the opposite... if the world hated Jesus, and crucified him, what should we expect as his followers? Just ask a 1st century Roman.....

Send Me... Use Me...

marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 08-12-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you Dennis !
    No turning back , No turning back !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
    so often, being a christian means we will face more trials then most. Satan seeks to destroy, lie, and all sorts of stuff to derail us. Once sealed by the spirit, be become a bullseye to stop before we spread the love of christ. Also, remember this, we are the clay, he is the potter. How do we get reshapen without first resigning to be a lump of clay? How are we refined without the fire? Are we entitled to a peaceful life because we accept and believe? No.. We are not to be comfortable, but constantly streached and stirred. Nothing in the word says that we will slide by all comfy. And folks that use that gimick to get believers isnt working for the god i serve. The word says the opposite... If the world hated jesus, and crucified him, what should we expect as his followers? Just ask a 1st century roman.....

Send me... Use me...

Marko

>>>>>>>>>>>>Yes .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Banned

Job had a great and fantastic life before and after he was tested.
    I do not get the all bad, all good theology
    I trust God to take care of me
    Just like the marriage vows, for richer or poorer, for better or worse
    Regardless, to think you have been blessed to have be laid out on a bed of affliction is foolishness
    To think that God is with you, is wisdom
    How much better is God our Father, than our earthly father

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Have you ever heard someone say, "Why has this happened to me?"
    "Why does God allow bad things happen to good people?"
    Theses are good questions.
    A child might ask himself the very same question when something goes wrong in there life.
    Harsh actions from a parent is not always bad. As - what we think is - harsh action from God is uncalled for in our life.

Disciple from God, whether greivious or through inconveniences is a character building experience. How you act or react to it is what makes you a better person in the eyes of God. Just as a child acts or reacts to parental discipline shows the parents if correction is sending him in the right direction or if the child is in rebellion against authority.
    Job is a very good read. Try to see it in your minds eye as Job saw and experienced it, it is a very powerful read.

God will discipline those whom he loves.

From one Dennis to another.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Why me???
    A better question is why not me?
    My family and friends have asked me many times if I ever have asked "Why me" because of three cancer episodes including two that I was told I was terminal, not to mention life changing surgeries and two strokes.

My response is always the same...Why not me?
    I would rather have to deal with my health issues than to have some child be so afflicted or have it happen to someone who isn't strong enough physically and mentally to fight back.

Why me???
    Why not me???

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, guys. I stumbled upon that question quite a while back, and don't even remember where it came from or how it originated. But it's served me very well whenever I've encountered things that I really didn't want to deal with. As we recognize our state of being sinners saved by grace, we must also realize we have no right whatsoever to expect an idyllic life. And anyway, Christ uses hardships to shape and mold us, just as stated above, and make us into what we were originally destined to be. We often despise our parents as kids, when they discipline us, but when we get older, and fully realize how much good was served by those disciplinary actions, we just come to love our parents more than we'd ever do if they'd just let us run wild. We love them because they loved us enough to discipline us, and mold and shape us to prepare us for the adult world.

And too, God cares enough about the people around us to give them an example of grace under various challenges, and sometimes, that example comes up as being us! We may never enjoy the challenges and sorrows in our lives, but if they're going to happen, we ought to learn something from them, shouldn't we? And though it's hard to see things this way sometimes in the midst of a challenge or sorrow, if we just keep our perspective, and realize it's all for some sort of good, whether we know or understand it or not. We see through the glass darkly, and ought not assume too much too quickly when we face challenges. He's promised He'll never abandon us, and He most certainly won't. We'll never be that reliable, but we CAN recover and return to a just and appropriate perspective if we just stop for half a second, and THINK. He made us. It's His prerogative when and how to take us home, and He always has a benevolent purpose in mind when He does it. We are NOT chess pieces He moves about with arbitrary abandon. He loves us, even when we're in pain and sorrow. Some things in this life must needs be, like Mom and Dad dying. Even a son or daughter's death can be a cause for rejoicing, as well as tremendous pain and sorrow. If we know they are in Heaven with the Lord now, we have the greatest solace we could ever have, because we know that one day, when it's our time, we'll be again reunited with them, and this time, it'll be permanent and permanently joyous in the extreme, beyond what we can even imagine here.

So yes, some of us are "fortunate" and some less so, and some severely challenged, but all of us have the assurance that Christ is in control, and it's all going to work out just like it's supposed to in the end. All we have to do, really, is just "hold on" until that day, and do all we can that served Him, and pleases Him. That's a can't miss philosophy and set of basic, real principles. What a wonderful Lord we serve!

Boolit Master

Amen and thanks for the great words.