Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap .22's

Boolit Grand Master

Cheap .22's

Just ordered ten 525 rd boxes of Blazer from Natchez for less than 3.5 cents a round.

Good savings on other .22 ammunition as well.

They have $5 flat rate shipping on orders of $100.
    Don Verna

Thanks for the heads up!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Blazer is excellent ammo. Other than,the plain boolit I can't tell it from Mini Mags.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Buddy
    In the past I never considered Blazer to be good ammo so I avoided it. Recently though, I picked up a bunch of .22 ammo from an older gent. In this lot there's 300 rnds of Blazer waxed .22 LR from the '60s, '70s & '80s. So far I haven't had one misfire from the Blazer ammo.

Now the bricks of Remington Thunderbolt and Viper ammo are just un-shoot-able... I tried, constant spit cases and case head separations. The Thunderbolts have a sticker with a 1988 date.
    There's a box of Remington Golden Bullets and a brick of Winchester Wild Cats that are about 10% misfire, no split cases. There's also a brick of PMC Sidewinders I haven't tried yet. The Wild Cats have a sticker with a 1981 date.

I might have to reconsider Blazer ammo in light of this.

Shoot-able

Un-shoot-able
    Last edited by tbx-4; 08-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Those are a real favorite for my 617 and my sons Savage MKII bolt action. In fact, I can not remember having a dud from them.

I love the blazer 22s. Aguila 22s are pretty decent too. Of the bulk I've tried recently, winchester 333 plated HPs gets the nod. I've shot a fair amount of them in the last couple years. Shot a bucket of the Remington golden bullets too with only a couple complaints.

All the federal I've tried over the last 4 years is a different story however. All of it, from the cheap American eagle, the auto match bulk, match stuff, game shock, has been inconsistent with sound and fails to cycle my marlin 60 reliably. My 60 will cycle standard velocity CCIs though.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Blazer is excellent ammo. Other than,the plain boolit I can't tell it from Mini Mags.
    My experience as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I love the blazer 22s. Aguila 22s are pretty decent too. Of the bulk I've tried recently, winchester 333 plated HPs gets the nod. I've shot a fair amount of them in the last couple years. Shot a bucket of the Remington golden bullets too with only a couple complaints.

All the federal I've tried over the last 4 years is a different story however. All of it, from the cheap American eagle, the auto match bulk, match stuff, game shock, has been inconsistent with sound and fails to cycle my marlin 60 reliably. My 60 will cycle standard velocity CCIs though.
    Interesting, Federal Game Shock 40 grain behaves just like Mini Mags for me. The wife's 10/22 eats 'em all day long with good accuracy. These days I don't buy any .22's with sub-40 grain boolits. Seems like these rounds are where most of the inconsistency happens, and I don't think they offer any sort of advantage.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Could be I got a bad box a couple years ago when I tried them. I used to shoot a lot of federal bulk with good results, but after the last run on ammo, what i've tried of federal has all been inconsistent. I only tried one box of some of the varieties though.

I also have tried several different boxes of winchester branded 22 ammo. The wildcats were inconsistent, but those that come in the plastic 100 round slip top boxes were all good.

The remington thunderbolts i've tried were all inconsistent.

Seems like ammo in the plastic slide packs is usually good. The loose pack stuff is very hit and miss.

I ain't tried the Remington golden bullets that come in the plastic boxes, but I'd guess them to be identicle to bulk packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I ain't tried the Remington golden bullets that come in the plastic boxes, but I'd guess them to be identicle to bulk packed.
    That was my thought as well, but I would love to be proven incorrect.

I have always found the 40 grain Golden Bullets in plastic slide packs to be excellent ammo, at least on par with similar offerings from Winchester and Federal. Shoots much cleaner than Thunderduds too, my old Marlin 995 has eaten thousands of them. The loose packs/buckets of Golden Bullets are usually 36 grain hollow points around here. I haven't tried those in probably 20 years and not planning to.

Those 36grain hp golden bullets shoot good long as they don't misfire. Least for me in my model 60.

I started using my last box of Remington Thunderbolt ammunition today. It would have been purchased during the latter part of the ammo drought. Maybe 4 years ago.
    I ran a bunch of it through 3 different handguns today.
    First up was a S&W 22A-1. I put 60 rounds through this gun without a single hiccup of any kind. Accuracy was great. Nearly as good as the match grade ammo that the pistol does it's best with.
    Next up was a S&W 17-7 I purchased a few weeks ago. Accuracy was good but not great. I haven't figured out what ammo this revolver likes best yet. I was having problems getting some of the bullets into the chamber. Had to push hard to get them far enough into the chamber so the cylinder would turn. The gun was clean to start the session. One or two out of every cylinder full would be difficult.
    Next was my Ruger MKII target with the slab sided barrel. Normally, accuracy is great with this pistol but not today. I ran 50 rounds through this gun and had nothing but trouble. Two or three out of each magazine would not chamber all the way. A couple failed to fire. Three failed to extract. Accuracy was not good. Group was over double the size of either of the other guns.
    I think I am glad this is my last box of Thunderbolts. I don't need this kind of trouble.

Those golden bullets I have, bought about 4 years ago, have rim thickness variation enough that the thicker ones won't go below flush in my moms single six. I chamber checked the whole bucket and found about 100. Ran fine through my model 60 of course.

I regard Thunderduds as cheap practice ammo and nothing more. They are accurate enough for that purpose, and if the price is right I won't complain about the occasional dud.

Boolit Master

Vipers used ta be a favorite!! I also have always had good luck with Goldens.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I regard Thunderduds as cheap practice ammo and nothing more. They are accurate enough for that purpose, and if the price is right I won't complain about the occasional dud.
    Agree 100%. In my case, I bet 99% of my .22's are used for plinking and paper destruction. Not a big deal to get a dud. For critters, I use CCI's as they seem to work well.
    Don Verna

I shoot alot of the Remington Golden's hollow points in my Nylon 66.
    Great ammo..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast