Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: plumbers smelting pot score

Boolit Bub

plumbers smelting pot score

Local second hand / junk shop had a 20 lb. plumbers lead pot with furnace and acetylene cylinder with hose. Was asking 70.00. but I was able to get him down to 50.00. I didn't want the tank so I offered the 50.00 and he could keep that tank. He agreed to take the 50.00 only if I took the tank as well. Without the furnace stand the tank was worthless. 30 minuets with a few brass fittings and a propane hose from an old BBQ grill and I was in business. A 20 foot Acet. hose was with it and as a side bonus the lead pot was about 3/4 full!!

Just getting into BPCR shooting and all I've heard leads me to try ladle dipping to cast my bullets rather than the bottom pour SAECO lead pot. My lead alloy is a bit hard, my mold is supposed to drop +/- 230 grain slugs and they are weighing in at about 223 grains. This alloy works ok for my cowboy action slugs that have to be accurate to min of cowboy at 10 yards or so but that ain't going to get it for the BPCR game. After I get some practice in with the dipper I will get some 20-1andsee how it goes!!

Boolit Buddy
    That is very cool. Good score!

Just a little hose safety.

That hose that came with your pot may not hold up for very long using propane. There are two different grades of hose. I have included a quote from one of the hose suppliers below.

I started welding well over twenty years. I now work as a pipe welding instructor. When I was younger acetylene was King. In my time as a welder I have seen it become unpopular with management. It’s higher cost and lower safety are it’s major drawbacks. As shops and companies switched over to alternative burning fuels they did not always change out there hoses and accidents have happened.

“Grade R

It is designed & recommended for acetylene gas & oxygen. Up until 15 years ago or so it was the only grade of twin welding hose available. It is not recommended for use with lp, propane, natural gas or propylene. The reason it is not recommended for propane is that the oils in propane will eventually dry rot the hose. This generally takes about 1 year to happen. The hose will appear cracked on the surface & lose pliability. This can be a very unsafe situation that requires immediate replacement of the hose. It's not like the Grade R hose will be unsafe from the start but its' life will be shorter. The longevity of the hose matters to some cutters & welders while to others it doesn't. Grade R twin welding hose is less expensive & that makes all the difference for some users. Their hose often doesn't last a year regardless of the grade.

Grade T

Grade T twin welding hose is specially designed for alternate fuels such as lp, propane, natural gas & propylene. However it can also be used with acetylene. It is more expensive than Grade R because it is made to resist the effects of the oils in propane. Although Grade T can be used for "All Fuel Gases", it is recommended to change the hose when switching between acetylene and alternate fuel gases. This is because of the residual oils from the propane lodge themselves into the pores of the hose.”

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the information on the hoses. I learned to weld with Oxy/Acet years ago and in fact taught it in Tech School for joint service schools at APG Md. for 5 years. That was about 40 years ago, my, how time flies! I will check out the hoses at the local welding shop and replace it with an updated hose. I may just get a 6 foot propane tank hose used in the Motor Home and put the reverse thread brass fitting on it. I do have the correct crimping tool to put the collars on the hose ends. I certainly do not 20 feet of hose to stumble over. To easy to trip and spill the molten lead with excess hose laying around.

Again, Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.