Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Marlin GG question

Boolit Grand Master

Marlin GG question

I bought a used (though it looks brand new) 45/70 Marlin 1895 GS a few months ago. I've already done quite a bit of shooting with it, and it seems to be a keeper. However, it has a quirk I've not seen before. I use to own a 1895 in 45/70, I presently own two 336's, and a 1894 in .357 magnum, so I'm not a newbie to Marlins.

The lever wants to hang open about 1/4". The guy I bought it from says that's the new design, a safety feature (as if they didn't have enough already). It squeezes closed easily, but the second I release pressure, it pops open again. To load the magazine, I have to squeeze the lever and hold it or loading gate won't open.

Can anyone tell me if this is a "new design", or is there a problem?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

My SS GG loading gate is free to open without squeezing the lever. You
    do have an interlock to make sure the action is closed before you can
    pull the trigger, which I think is what you are talking about. Not sure
    why yours would also mess with the loading gate.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance

A grip safety on a Marlin? I don't think so, but then I never saw the need for a cross bolt safety either. I really think something isn't right. DALE

There is a triangular plunger in the front of the Marlin lever (on the inside of the trigger bow) that is spring loaded to retain the lever in the closed position when You release pressure on the lever. It sounds to me like yours is not functioning right for some reason. If you take the lever out you will see a crosspin about 1/16" in diameter that retains the plunger. I would tap that out, take the plunger, and spring out, and determine what is holding things up. There could be a burr there, or perhaps someone just shortened the spring in an attempt to "smooth" the action. Could be rust, or junk in the hole too, but it seems kinda new for that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks all for the replies. NHlever, I checked that spring loaded plunger, and it is functioning just like my other Marlins. The next check is disassembly to the point where I can see if it is fully engaging the mating bar.

The reason the loading gate won't open when the lever is partially open is that it raises the cartridge lifter enough to block its movement.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I was lucky, and had one Marlin that was a bit "sticky" on opening, and one that wouldn't quite stay closed during loading, etc. I took the plungers out of both, and switced the springs, and now they both work fine. Good luck with yours.

Banned

ill add a little something to this. Its a trick amature gunsmiths use to smothen up an action or at least make it seem smoother to an inexperience gun owner. You clip a coil or two off the spring that is behind that plunger and your lever opens much easier. A good gunsmith will put a proper taper on the plunger and accomplish the same thing without haveing a week lever lock. If your lever is falling open under its own weight it isnt operating correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    There is a triangular plunger in the front of the Marlin lever (on the inside of the trigger bow) that is spring loaded to retain the lever in the closed position when You release pressure on the lever. It sounds to me like yours is not functioning right for some reason. If you take the lever out you will see a crosspin about 1/16" in diameter that retains the plunger. I would tap that out, take the plunger, and spring out, and determine what is holding things up. There could be a burr there, or perhaps someone just shortened the spring in an attempt to "smooth" the action. Could be rust, or junk in the hole too, but it seems kinda new for that.