WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: I have a Luger problem...............

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

I have a Luger problem...............

Long story short, I got one of the Stoeger 6" 9mm stainless Lugers as a Christmas gift some years back. To date I think I've managed to get one full mag through without jamming, so I kept shooting the gun hoping it would "wear in". Then came today's disaster at the range. Basically I got a fired case stuck in the chamber. After attempting to cycle the action a couple of times, I disassembled the gun and pried the empty out from beneath with a screwdriver. I reassembled the gun and it wouldn't chamber the next round. That's when I saw my extractor sitting "proud" of the bolt. Huh?

Another teardown revealed the extractor pin had sheared in three, neat pieces so it was cease fire and back to the house. Further examination showed the extractor tip slightly bent also. Swell.

So, at the very least I need a replacement extractor pin (Gun Parts Inc.) and maybe a complete extractor (also Gun Parts Inc.). The parts being offered are for the original P08 pistol. Does anyone know if they will fit my modern replica? Thanks in advance!

Call Gun Parts Inc. and speak to a tech. and they may be able to tell you if the parts will interchange.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Long story short, I got one of the Stoeger 6" 9mm stainless Lugers as a Christmas gift some years back. To date I think I've managed to get one full mag through without jamming, so I kept shooting the gun hoping it would "wear in". Then came today's disaster at the range. Basically I got a fired case stuck in the chamber. After attempting to cycle the action a couple of times, I disassembled the gun and pried the empty out from beneath with a screwdriver. I reassembled the gun and it wouldn't chamber the next round. That's when I saw my extractor sitting "proud" of the bolt. Huh?

Another teardown revealed the extractor pin had sheared in three, neat pieces so it was cease fire and back to the house. Further examination showed the extractor tip slightly bent also. Swell.

So, at the very least I need a replacement extractor pin (Gun Parts Inc.) and maybe a complete extractor (also Gun Parts Inc.). The parts being offered are for the original P08 pistol. Does anyone know if they will fit my modern replica? Thanks in advance!
    If you'll go to manufacturers and click on "S" then select Stoeger - then select "semi auto pistols" that will take you to a menu where you can select "luger". Both of the parts you mention are listed as in stock. Extractor is #445500 ($5.25) and the pin is #455730 ($2.75).
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

When you get it fixed, oil it well and use 124 gr European ammo to break it in.
    Is it a Houston made gun?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Hi guys.............sorry about the delay in responding. This Luger is NOT the Stoeger .22 model. It's their licensed 9mm stainless copy made by an outfit in Texas, or was, since they're out of business now.......

HOWEVER..........it's fixed. First of all the extractor itself isn't as bad as I thought, so I'll try it and see how it performs. As for the pin, it measured within a thousandth of a 1/16" drill bit, so I selected an extra high speed bit and cut off a carefully measured length with my Dremel. After stoning the ends it slid into the frame and extractor perfectly. The gun is now operational and I'm going to start testing it with some Winchester "white box" ammo instead of my reloads. My reloads were quite a bit hotter than they should have been and I think that's what caused a case to stick in the first place. My yanking on the toggle to free it sure didn't help much either!

Boolit Master

I guess your Luger is a bit different then the German made Lugers I grew up with.

My Dad always loaded HOT for both it and the Wartime P-38's.

Was a real wake up call when I put one of those Hot Loads in my Brand New S&W M59. Only took one round.
    Then I cracked the Lyman #2 Cast Bullet Handbook.

Always get your Load Data from a good Published Source.

Don't rely on a 10yr old memory.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

In Remembrance

I`ve always heard that Lugers functioned best with hotter than normal loads so as to work the toggle. I recall shooting the Luger that my Brother brought back from the war. I had a factory box of Rem-Umc 115 gr. FMJ ammo as I recall. I couldn`t get a full mag thru it with out some sort of jam. My Brother produced a box of German service 9mm ammo he also brought back. The luger ate them up without a single jam.Robert

Boolit Master
    I, too, have found that my Lugers like very warm-to-hot loads. If I recall correctly, the P08 was designed to use the 124-grain bullet.

Glad you have been able to get yours to function.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

I have also been told the closest match to the original 9mm bullet profile and load is Federals 124 frn 9bp. Several ave stated it seems to work best in the originals

My .30 Luger worked 100% when I used 90gr bullet data but substituted 100gr Speer plinkers. It needs some oomph to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If some replacement parts are still available you might want to stock up on a few parts that usually need replacing at some point in time ...extractors , ejectors , pins , springs ...etc. When those parts are gone you will be hard pressed to find them at any price.
    I bought parts and parts kits years ago for a WWII Walther P38 my Dad owned , parts were plentiful and common ... Now I own the P38 and enjoy shooting it and very glad I bought the extra parts then ... they are no longer common or cheap .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"