RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Muzzle breaks? Which one?

Boolit Buddy

Muzzle breaks? Which one?

So I just bought a Vepr AK in 308 win awesome rifle!! It’s my 4th Vepr. However this one is 16” and the concussion is unbearable, my rifle is already 922 compliant having the SGM tactical stock set and American mags. It’s obviously in 14-1 LH twist. I would like this rifle to be a 4wheeler gun or a just Incase gun. Not home defense for the simple fact that you don’t need a 308 to shoot a bad gun in your home 20 feet away, I have a PC9 for that. So what break would you recommend? I’m looking for a break and a flash hider if that’s possible. Thanks

Boolit Master

you dont want to break anything, however for a good muzzle brake, sjc titan is one of the most effective on the market. lots of youtube video's comparing brake's if you want to spend the time. most only work so-so, a small handful are very effective.

Banned
    It is a Muzzle BRAKE: B-R-A-K-E, as in the brakes on a car.
    Break, B-R-E-A-K , means to "separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain."

And I HATE muzzle brakes. If you think the concussion is bad with a 16"barrel, I can assure you it will only be worse with a muzzle brake.

Boolit Master

Might google "forward blast diverter". Not intended to control muzzle jump, but deflects blast away from the shooter.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

what he said ^^^^^^

or get a solvent trap adapter and a long filter
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I ride on the brake hate train too. And I've had 16-1/2" .308s and 8x57s. They were nothing compared to a brake equipped .223 nearby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    It is a Muzzle BRAKE: B-R-A-K-E, as in the brakes on a car.
    Break, B-R-E-A-K , means to "separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain."

And I HATE muzzle brakes. If you think the concussion is bad with a 16"barrel, I can assure you it will only be worse with a muzzle brake.
    Agreed. I have spent a lot of time defeating the muzzle brakes I have acquired on barrels by using cast boolits, lower velocities, and faster burning powders. You may not be able to with your rifle. I currently have a 16" 308 bolt rifle that I bought with a threaded on brake. After three factory loads I pulled the brake, put on the thread protector, then began the process finding the load and proper boolit to reduce the blast of the 16" barrel. I discovered the barrel likes heavy-for-caliber boolits launched at 1200 fps with Red Dot powder. Talk about fun to shoot now! Friends at the range are smiling that they don't have to back up 30 feet due to the blast!

The tables on the benchrest range at the club where I shoot are too close together for AR rifles with muzzle brakes.
    Never seems to fail. I will get set up away from everyone and someone with an AR with a brake will set up immediately to my left.
    Not only am I beaten up by the concussion from his short barrel, I am pelted by his spent cases.
    These people seem to be completely oblivious to the problems they cause.

Boolit Master

I use this on my 16" 556 barrel it helps a lot https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...linear-blk.htm it puts the sound out in front of you
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 08-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

yup or what is more commonly called a "blast can" Ive got them on 300 bos and 556s and they take a big bite out of the concussion. They do nothing though for flash if that is a concern. Worse is a muzzle break. It makes a gun louder and does nothing for flash. I had a 16 inch ar10 years ago. I know what you mean. that thing would wake up the dead and made everyone turn and look at a public range. Its amazing how much difference just 2 more inches of barrel brings.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Might google "forward blast diverter". Not intended to control muzzle jump, but deflects blast away from the shooter.

Boolit Master

I like <infiniteproductsolutions.com>, they have a large selection to choose from.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Buy a suppressor. That will solve both the blast and flash problems associated with a short barrel .308.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

I put muzzle brakes on my guns on purpose. I don't want anyone shooting near me. And they help to ward off the brass thieves that are always trying to pick up your brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Installed a couple of these for friends. http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

I am very impressed with them. Very effective and relatively quite from the side.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    a brake will make blast worse ,get a moderator /silencer youll love it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I use this on my 16" 556 barrel it helps a lot https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/K...linear-blk.htm it puts the sound out in front of you
    I dont Like any of the comps. ALL Of them re direct sound to be louder perceived to the shooter.

That was until I found these KAW VALLEY LINEAR COMPS!!! LOVE THESE THINGS!!!! I think I have nine now!!! I even have two STEEL versions PINNED & WELDED to short barrels making them legal! I LIKE THE LIL 16” Ruger Americans for my local hunting. But that 16” sure makes it loud, I add a XL Slim making the barrel about 19.5” WOW what a difference!! No more concussive abuse!
    Plus they are UNDER 50$! joebob out fitters carries them and they ship FAST!

Give them a try, Ill bet you loke them too!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

Only experience I have with linear units was my 9mm ar15. It made it more pleasant to shoot but tended to add some back pressure that caused the action to get dirty faster. I replaced it with a kak mini can and it took care of the blast just as well without the back pressure. Problem with a can is it looks out of place unless you have a full length rail to cover part of it. On a standard post sight ar it looks like a giant wart on the end. I need to try one of the linear ones on one of those. At least they look decent on them. that said the difference in using a blast can/lineal comp and a standard flash suppressor is night and day. Especially on short barreled ar pistols. Ive got a blast can on a 16 in bo and a guy in a pinch could shoot it supersonic without hearing protection. At least someone half deaf like me. It isn't much different then my 556 ars shooting super sonic with a suppressor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I put muzzle brakes on my guns on purpose. I don't want anyone shooting near me. And they help to ward off the brass thieves that are always trying to pick up your brass.
    Now I think you’re on to something there!!