Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Attaching scope mount rail to a ventilated rib

Boolit Master

Attaching scope mount rail to a ventilated rib

I have a Mossberg 500 20 gauge and an extra 22 inch vent rib barrel. I wish to dedicate the barrel as a slug barrel to be used with a scope. Can a long scope mount rail be securely attached to the rib? In this plan the rail would attach to the rib and extend over the receiver. At this point I would attach a scope.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Why don't you just Drill and Tap the receiver for a Scope Rail.
    The Last Mossberg 500 that I bought came with a Rail for the receiver, and the receiver was Drilled and Tapped.

I wouldn't trust the rib.
    It might not be nailed on well enough to take the recoil, at least not for very long.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for your help. The receiver is drilled and tapped. I wish not to attach a scope in that way because I will use my second barrel for hunting birds. Thus leaving the optic on the slug barrel is simpler. The links show good options. I was not able to discover these despite having looked but knew others here would know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I wouldn't trust the rib.
    It might not be nailed on well enough to take the recoil, at least not for very long.
    ;

Good point. I will have rib and post drilled and tapped and run a long screw through rib into a couple posts.

The weight of the scope and it's inertia under recoil is what's problematic.

IMO, a slug gun is a short-range (under 100yds) proposition, so what worked best for me was an unlimited eye relief reflex sight (I use a Weaver Micro from WallyWorld)

To mount one, a full-length rail isn't needed - only one small Weaver-type base from a 2-base set.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/d...hts/micro_dot/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

For a handicapped fellow with a Browning O/U I milled a slot in a piece of universal and fastened it with 3 6/48 screws to the rib and it has a red dot on the rig for turkey hunting. It has held together now for 5 years of hunting with no problems and with fillers it will disappear. But the Browning rib was pretty solid. You would have to see how the Mossberg is fastened on to the gun. It can be done but it wil be more work than drill and tap the receiver or using a side mount.

Boolit Grand Master

Most ribs are only "tight" at the front pist and back post they gloat on the post in between to not impose stress on the barrel. A scope mount to it my have some play in it from this. I would drill and tap the receiver. or build a mount to go around the rib to the barrel.

Modify a 1" tube flashlight clamp ( the figure 8 type) for a LER or RedDot set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the Aim Tech mounts to install a Millet SP-1 on a 12 gauge pump shotgun's ventilated rib.
    It holds just fine , no drilling , no tapping and the red dot is a big help especially when shooting slugs.
    Nothing has come loose , just follow the Aim Tech mounting instructions .
    A 12 gauge firing slugs should have loosened it up....it hasn't...Aim Tech Mounts get a 10.
    I have also used Aim Tech to mount red dot sights on two semi auto's handguns and one revolver all have held tight ...rate their handgun mounts a 10 also .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    After reading and studying here, I have decided to install a plain Weaver base. Then I will use a rifle scope to determine the barrel's slug accuracy. If excellent, I will replace scope with a red dot. I'm willing to resight the red dot after removing it. The thin Weaver base will not detract from using the other barrel for bird hunting. The little Mossberg is a joy to shoot and a good companion when out in the field.