Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

View Poll Results: Which powder should I burn up in the 45 Colt?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • IMR PB

15 32.61%
  • IMR 7625

4 8.70%
  • IMR 4756

11 23.91%
  • IMR 800X

16 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which powder for 45 Colt?

Boolit Master

Which powder for 45 Colt?

Ok so I know there are probably better powders and I'm sure I probably have them on hand.
    However I have a surplus of these powders and no current use for them in my reloading diet.

So given the choice which one(s) would you use up on some NOE 453423 Colt loads?

Do any of these powder excel at anything that I should be saving them for?

I was thinking of starting with PB because I believe it's the fluffiest of the batch and should take up more room in the case. Easier to see when loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Swiss FFF

Find a safe/recomended starting place with each- if there is one,
    tinker around with 'em until ya find what works for you, then use them all up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye has been used in factory .45 Colt loads for over 100 years.

No reason to change. 6.5 grains approximates factory lead loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I use Red Dot.

Boolit Master

Unique is the powder I think of when ever someone asks for a powder for the 45 colt.

For decades it was THE ONLY POWDER even listed in many manuals.

FOR GOOD REASON!

I have some SR powders and like them. But IINM they are no more or at very least hard to locate. PB that I have is hordes for my 32/20 loads cause its simply awesome! Probably most of the reason its not used for other calibers.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I am also a big fan of unique for the .45c. I have also had good luck with bullseye in non-hunting target type loads.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Unique is the powder I think of when ever someone asks for a powder for the 45 colt.

For decades it was THE ONLY POWDER even listed in many manuals.

FOR GOOD REASON!

I have some SR powders and like them. But IINM they are no more or at very least hard to locate. PB that I have is hordes for my 32/20 loads cause its simply awesome! Probably most of the reason its not used for other calibers.

CW
    I can go back quite a few years in reloading manuals and the manuals I have do list various powders for reloading.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I am also a big fan of unique for the .45c. I have also had good luck with bullseye in non-hunting target type loads.
    I've used bullseye, ww231, Unique, Red dot just to name a few. Its hard not to get an accurate load in any of these powders.

Boolit Master
    There is data for those powders , you may get to be our beta tester

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't have any experience with the powders you mention. My "go to" for 45 Colt is Red Dot as I have had the best results with it - with a 454-190 255 gr. RNFP. I have also used Unique, Bullseye, Green Dot. If you can find loading data for the powder you've mentioned, then start low and see how it works. Where I am - and with no shortage - the powders I mention are fairly easy to find. Personally, when there were "shortages", I was lucky enough to find a 8# jug of Red Dot and was pleasantly surprised at the results I had in both pistol and rifle cartridges.

I'll also mention that I have had no issues with any of the powders I mention as far as powder location in the spacious 45 Colt casing. I guess it's like anything else associated with reloading - regardless of how much space the charge takes up - keep alert in how you load and avoid double charges at all cost.

And can't help myself - you might want to try some compressed loads of real black powder - it will put a big smile on your face!

Boolit Grand Master
    According to Speer No 10, 7.8 grains of IMR 7625 should give you reasonably good results. That is the only IMR pistol powder I have ever used. (And I didn't use it in a 45 Colt.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

OP doesn't state what level of 45 Colt loads nor the weight of his bullet.....so I just use the data for Colt SAA & clones and 250 gr cast/lead as referenced loads.

Lyman #3;

PB; Start 5 gr, max 7.5 gr
    SR7625; Start 6 gr, Max 8.5 gr

Dupont's Handloader's Guide (published 4/98) doesn't list a start/max load range. It on list "recommended" loads for a 250 gr lead bullet;

PB; 7.2 gr
    SR7625; 8.7 gr
    800-X; 9.5 gr
    SR4756; 10 gr

I have not used nor tested any of the above loads and only post them as referenced from the manuals listed.

BTW; I prefer Bullseye and Unique for my own Colt SAA level 45 Colt loads with 200 to 250 gr bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    OP doesn't state what level of 45 Colt loads nor the weight of his bullet.....so I just use the data for Colt SAA & clones and 250 gr cast/lead as referenced loads.

Lyman #3;

PB; Start 5 gr, max 7.5 gr
    SR7625; Start 6 gr, Max 8.5 gr

Dupont's Handloader's Guide (published 4/98) doesn't list a start/max load range. It on list "recommended" loads for a 250 gr lead bullet;

PB; 7.2 gr
    SR7625; 8.7 gr
    800-X; 9.5 gr
    SR4756; 10 gr

I have not used nor tested any of the above loads and only post them as referenced from the manuals listed.

BTW; I prefer Bullseye and Unique for my own Colt SAA level 45 Colt loads with 200 to 250 gr bullets.

NOE 453423 so nominally 238 grains. I believe with my alloy they’re dropping 244 or so.
    I’m looking to load standard loads. Nothing hot especially with those powders.

I appreciate all the suggestions on other powders but I’m just looking for input on the listed powders and if anyone has any experience or preference on them.
    Just figured I would drum up some conversation and put up a poll for fun mostly.
    I have more than enough load data from the powder companies and endless manuals.

I was looking for anecdotes and poetic writings about someone’s journey with PB they obtained during a drought in the 80s and fell in love with it.

Boolit Master
    My primary boolit for 45 LC is 452424 but I often use one of 6 different 45 ACP boolits for plinking. Red Dot/Promo and Unique are all I need. If it ain't broke....

Boolit Master
    I have Been in the process of burning up powder that is not my favorite.

It may not be my first choice but I still have fun shooting it . I can still get good trigger and sight practice even with out the best groups.

Another Bullseye user here.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    None of those, use Unique!

Boolit Grand Master

Standard 45 Colt loads .....PB
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I acquired 2 pounds of IMR SR7625 during the shortage and have been looking for something to do with it.
    I tried it in .44 magnum and didn't like it. Couldn't get good groups.

Tried it with 255 grain SWC bullets in .45 Colt and it shoots very well. I don't recall off the top of my head the powder charge, but it was accurate and that's what I'll be using it for.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast