Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Converted to a BP Compression Die

Converted to a BP Compression Die

So I’ve been in need of a BP Compression die for when I load blank loads and when I want to slightly compress a BP load before seating a booliet. So I took a spare Lee Universal Decapping Die and converted it into a BP Compression Die. I took a 3/8” X 3” bolt and machined the hex head to just fit into a .45 Colt case. I used my drill press and a course metal file to do the work. Even smoothed out the head of the hex. Then I took a 3/8” hex nut and rounded it by using my bench grinder. Then I took my dremel with a cutting blade and placed a slot at the bottom of the bolt so a small flat head could turn it. Then I used super glue and fixed the rounded hex head nut onto the bolt in the position that I needed. On the Universal Die, I removed the adjustment nut and de-priming pin and tapped the universal die for the 3/8” bolt threads. Inserted the modified bolt and secured it with a jam nut on top of the Die. From what I can tell so far, I think it’s gonna work just fine. Progression photos are below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

that'll work as is but it'd be a tad touchy for fine adjustments due to the jam nut. i'd drill and tap the die body for a set screw, then you'd get fine adjustments without the need for a jam nut. then at that point, basically you've have made what BACO sells for $40+ (lyman "M" die body plus a compression plug).

Boolit Grand Master

That should work fine. I make a new insert fir the expander dies to compress powder. I leave it float a little so it can self align its basically a slightly longer copy of the original with out the hole thru. The bullet seaters can be made into a compression die also wrap with several layers of masking tape around 1/2" taller and gill with JB weld epoxy, I mix steel filings or case trimming in with it to get more strength and hardness.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Track of the Wolf has multiple sizes of compression plugs for 3 bucks that drop into the Lee Die. Total price $20.00
    Regards
    John

I just use a nylon plug that fits into the seating die. Each plug es made for a specific boolit seating depth. No adjustments necessary.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that'll work as is but it'd be a tad touchy for fine adjustments due to the jam nut. i'd drill and tap the die body for a set screw, then you'd get fine adjustments without the need for a jam nut. then at that point, basically you've have made what BACO sells for $40+ (lyman "M" die body plus a compression plug).
    I’ll take that into consideration as I get to using it more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Track of the Wolf has multiple sizes of compression plugs for 3 bucks that drop into the Lee Die. Total price $20.00
    I think I got the Universal Die off eBay for $12 with free shipping and the bolt and nut was under a dollar and about a hours worth of my time. I think I’m ok with it for now for what I’m loading. Once I get to loading more for my 44-40 though, I’ll have to check into the Wolf plugs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I just use a nylon plug that fits into the seating die. Each plug es made for a specific boolit seating depth. No adjustments necessary.

I’ll have to check into these. Who makes them plugs Bad *** Wallace?

Quote Originally Posted by Babbott213 View Post
    I’ll have to check into these. Who makes them plugs Bad *** Wallace?
    Made in my workshop!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    These are all good ideas. Made at home sings to my heart
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.