Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunsmith Lathe - do I need a DRO

Boolit Mold
    For me personally I don't NEED a DRO, however, as others have said they are very nice to have to do accurate work quickly. The Grizzly DRO's are over priced IMO. Look at the DRO's on Ebay. I've owned a few of these and they are just as good as the name brand ones.

Speaking of the name brands, I have an Accurite DRO on my mill that was purchased around 2000. l recently had an issue with the X axis scale so I called Accurite. They were not particularly helpful other than saying they no longer support my unit but could sell me another scale that is not a drop in for $700. So the myth of buying a "brand name" product with the expectation of being able to obtain future support did not hold up in this case.

Boolit Master
    I have used dro's when working for other companies, but don't have them on my own machines. I have scrapped out expensive parts when they failed because of metal chips on the scales.
    I machined a complete engine which I designed and built without using cnc or dro's. Yes, it took longer, but the engine runs just fine. It does not know nor does it seem to care what machine it was made on, only that it works.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I have a 2 axis DRO on my lathe but rarely use it ,a carriage stop and long travel indicator are easier for me to use .

Boolit Master
    I found at work machinists appreciate a DRO as their eyesight goes.....same as a digital vernier.......easy to read without a magnifying glass,or in dull light.

I used DROs for over 40 years. I wouldn't even think of using a lathe without one. Something to think about that no one has mentioned...

A DRO measures absolute position. The backlash on your machine doesn't matter. You won't have to even think about. For doing precision work such as chambering a barrel, its the only way to go.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    I ran an engine lathe and other turning machines about 10,000 hours doing precision work.
    The machines varied from 13" tool room lathes to 54" Bullard VTLs, turret lathes up to the 4A Warner Swasey and oil field lathes with swings up to 36" and 24 ft long beds.
    DRO's were not yet in use and we did fine without them. Most lathes push the tool off anyway so the last cut usually has to be made after measuring the part. I have ran lathes with DRO's and they have basically zero impact on the precision of the work. A good machinist can do excellent work without a DRO. The only difference I ever saw was they were sometimes a little faster and more convenient to read.

The push off even occurs with CNC lathes and carbide tooling.
    EDG

I have a Travadial on my Hardinge Chucker which is my primary lathe. It is accurate and they don't cost big money. I also have both X&Y Travadials on my older mill. They have been with me for more than 30 years and are still working perfectly.

Another way to go that is a proven winner. I use mine every time I use the Lathe, in fact I just used it an hour ago.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I like a DRO on a lathe. One of the lathes at work does not have one. We use it though but, have to put a indicater on it. The one I have only has a 2" limit.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12