RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the RIA 1911 TAC ULTRA FS in 9mm

Any experience with the RIA 1911 ROCK ULTRA FS in 9mm

Any experience with the RIA 1911 ROCK ULTRA FS in 9mm
    I ran across one at a local gun shop used and they allowed me to shoot it.
    I am contemplating buying it but have little experience with this brand and model of 1911.
    Last edited by tazman; 08-10-2019 at 04:59 PM.

I have no experience with that model specifically, but I have a friend that has had a couple different RIA 1911s. They all functioned okay. Sometimes they did jam. Fit and finish wasnt great.

This one is one of their best models. Finish is good. Fit is very tight. Tighter than my Springfield Range Officer and shoots just as good for a short test.

I believe that RIA 1911's are woefully underrated. Every one i have shot has been suprising accurate out to 50 yards +.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    One of my buddy's has the FS in 45 I have shot some , no malfunctions a lot of nice features for the money he is talking about ordering a 9 .
    He also has a sig 1911 and has worked at the gun shop / range where we shoot so he is familiar with some better 1911s
    I would rate them as cheap for a 1911 but worth more than they cost. His shoots way better than my old parkerized SA.

Boolit Master

I have their tac model in 45. Excellent pistol. Did a little standard trigger fluff and buff and replaced the bushing due to a bit loose frame-bushing fit. Have some scrap 2" pvc stood in the woods 40yards from my back door that has been chewed to the ground testing new loads. Opened my eyes how accurate a pistol can be.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Some one say RIA'S? I have a few. I love them. Just picked up an older 9mm. It's great very happy with it. Only one im still working on getting to my liking is my baby rock 380. It had 9lb trigger. I got it down to 7.5 lbs. Playing with the sear spring. Im going to do a trigger cam fluff and buff next.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8286.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	246578

Name:	DSCF8328.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	246580
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I have 6 rock islands and have gave 3 to family , fit and finish has been as good as other makes , all have been accurate and all have been reliable with all my loads , and I am not sizing bullets after cast , have used it with alox and am currently powder coating , no issues .
    Bought 2 plain janes 2 tactical then bought 3 more tacticals for family , then 2 in 38 super all have been good and I would buy a 9mm if local shop had them .

Thank you gentlemen. That is the kind of review I was hoping for.

Boolit Master

You're welcome. And the warranty follows the gun. The mag spring was weak in my 9mm. Not activating the slide stop. I bought 2 new mags. They activated it. Im active on RIA'S FB page they were nice and sent me new mag. How many companies warranty mags?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

here is a picture of it. It feels really good in my hand.

Name:	resized2400001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	246604

Boolit Buddy

I'm betting you will like it.
    I have 2 RIA's, a 10mm and the 9mm/22TCM combo.
    All shoot very well.

I will find out tomorrow. It is taking a trip to the range.

Let us know how you like it. I have that in a 45ACP and am thinking about getting a little brother to go with it. I love my 45.

Boolit Master

Awesome looking forward to the range report. Ia. Redneck i have the 10mm too. One heck of a gun. I broke mine during break in. The barrel link broke. Not sure if it was my loads or if there was something wrong with the gun. I was running 180 grain hardcast with 11 grains of blue dot. But they replaced the whole upper for me. It's been great since.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

I'm with some guys herein, got a RIA slide in 10mm (not a big fan of series 80, i.e., Delta Elite, Kimber) that I fitted in a SA 1911-A1 frame (swapped ejector & slide lock).
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Just got back from the range. There are only a couple of things I need to work on. Neither is anything to do with the gun proper. The magazines I was using today let the second or third round from the top nose dive a bit and if the round has a flat nose, it will hang up and not feed. Round nose feed just fine. I think I need to replace the springs in this set of mags. They are all Mec Gar 10 round mags.
    The other issue is the rifling in the barrel is button rifled and isn't tall enough to grip a cast boolit well.
    My groups with jacketed were outstanding. Right on par with my Range Officer. My groups with cast were nearly twice the size as the jacketed groups and had fliers that I couldn't account for.
    There was no leading in the barrel when I finished after shooting about 100 rounds of cast to finish up.
    The sights were easy to pick up and use. The trigger breaks at a measured 5lb but in use feels lighter than that for some reason. Not sure what the reason for that is.
    I will play with some boolits and alloy and see if there is some configuration it likes better.
    It did feed and shoot well with the Lyman 356402 boolits I ran through it. It may be that it like that boolit a bit better than the others. The tiny flat tip never did hang up through 30 rounds which was all of those I had with me.
    That will be for another trip to the range.
    This gun is nicely configured for a working/combat type pistol. It has G10 grips, snag free sights, a fluorescent front sight, and just enough of a mag well to make it easy to seat a mag.
    This particular gun is tightly fitted on both the slide and the bushing. When in battery, everything is tight with little if any movement. It actually feels tighter than my Range Officer.
    When I get the magazine issue worked out, this will be an excellent pistol for my use.

Boolit Master

Nice report. I noticed too the triggers feel lighter when shooting. I have done some double taps that caught me off guard with my RIA'S. The fiber optic front sights are nice on them. Some on the FB group say they are not true fiber optic. But i like them. Eventually i want to add them to all my 1911's.
    One round at a time.

I have a couple of other 1911 pistols and 2 XDM pistols that have fiber optic front sights.
    I like them as they are easy to pick up.

Boolit Master
    The grips are great to .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast