Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who knows?

Boolit Buddy

Who knows?

OK Guys

Here is where I am at right now.

Joined last year I believe.

Had to take off for a little while. Had to have my pacemaker changed + some valve work done. Started back slowly, as you know a 45-70 packs a little recoil.

Have a Uberti 1885 in 45-70. The rifle has the dreaded 1-20 twist. 32” barrel. Rear sights are the economy mid range soule sights from Lee Shaver, the front is a standard 17A.

Have lots of experience with this type of sight, I have two Winchester 52D with the aperture sights. Not exactly the same but real close.

Have been shooting 20 rounds a week for the last 2 months.

When I bought the gun it came with 600 405 gn. Missouri Bullet Co. #1 Buffalo bullets. No brass, Lee Mold 457-340-F (a 340 gr flat base bullet), Lee mold 459-405-HB ( a 405 gr hollow base bullet) and a Lee 459-500-3R (a 500 gr pointed bullet).

The Missouri #1 Buffalo bullets measure .4575”. the 340 gr measures .4580, the 405 HB measures .4620, the 500 gr I have no ideal, have not cast any yet. Was informed by Cast Boolits site anything over 1” long will not shoot well in this rifle.

The bore measures .458. Might be a loose or tight spot somewhere in the bore but I did not feel it.

The #1 Buffalo will group in the 3 to 5 inch range. The 340 gr hardly stayed on 8.5x11 paper, the 405 gr HB stays in the 3 inch range (2.75 – 3.5 inch), best groups so far. Did get 1-5 shot group that measured just under 1 inch with the Varget and the 405 gr HB. All at 50 yds. Target A-23.

Have used Goex 1F, Goex 2F, Goex 3F, Black MZ and Varget. Would say the best so far has been Varget and the Black MZ.

Know I need to get a good bullet mold, but like so many of us I am not made of money, even if I was my wife would not let me scrape any off and spend it. I can spend some on a mold but not 5 or 10 of them.

Oh by the way my cataracts don't help ether.

Suggestions please.

Chuck40219

Boolit Grand Master

1) Get the cataracts fixed! I've given up shooting open sights until I get mine operated on.
    2) Stick to one thing and change one thing, and only one thing, at a time. This gives you the ability to fugure out what is causing what. This is espeially true with BPCR.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck in .45-70 with the Lee 405gr hollow base bullets(self cast...same mold you have) and Trail Boss powder in a Browning 1886 carbine and two Springfield trapdoor 1873's(fair/nice carbine and fair rifle).

As far as black powder I have not made any loads with that...but BP .45-70 is on my agenda

Boolit Master
    I don't have one of those Uberti rifles, but I have a lot of other BPCR type rifles. I believe that the original Trapdoor rifles had a 1:22 twist and they stabilized the original 500gr bullet, so I wouldn't be afraid of a heavier bullet than a 405.

I would suggest using any decent bullet that was large enough in diameter that it fills any freebore the rifle has. Often the largest diameter bullet that you can slip fit into the case is a really good place to start. Not sure how hard those bullets are, but soft alloy bullets ( say 20:1 or so ) will most often outshoot a very hard bullet.

Chris.

Banned

yes, by all means get the cataracts taken care of first and foremost. you will see your world open up in clear, focused living color as it did for dorothy's visit to oz. nothing like getting a brandy new pair of acrylic lenses to replace the ones you've had since birth.

what distances will you primarily shoot? if 200 and under, i'd highly recommend the lyman 457193 mould, 405 grains. it's quite accurate and used by many for the chicken steel in silhouette matches. you might find one used for a savings.

Vendor Sponsor

That twist will be great and will support bullets to 1.450". Back in the Creedmoor era many rifles were scoring well and winning the matches shooting 550 grain PP bullets in 1 in 20 twist rifles. It is a good place to start.

Given what you describe with you regaining your health, shooting 500 plus grain bullets to the 1000 yard targets just now really is not needed anyway. The 350 to 420 class bullets with Black Powder can meet most needs and push the needle on the fun meter to the max. They will make big holes in solid objects too.

Enjoy!
    Chill Wills

Chuck,
    Nothing wrong with a 20 ROT. It's just something you read on the internet from parrot shooters that don't have one.
    I shave 22 twist .45-70's and they shoot just as good as my 18, and 16 twist.
    Shoot your light bullets till you heal up and find a good mould that casts a postal and have fun.

Boolit Master
    Had my cataract surgery done will be 2 years ago this Oct.Brother,what a difference.Can now read a license tag at a distance of about 30 yds or so.Girl watching is more fun too.Hey,I`m old not dead.Get well soon.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    If in doubt, get the Lyman Gov. bullet #457125, can't go wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the cataracts are on the VA time scheduled.

Thanks for all the feed back.

I did get a private email from a member here stating he would send a mold to me. Waiting on that and will post results.

The Va is going to cut on my left foot on Thursday so I will not be able to shoot for 2 weeks. Will give me time to cast a few bullets.

I will get this figured out if I don't die first.

chuck40219