Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Maynard multibarrel guns and calibers

Boolit Mold

Maynard multibarrel guns and calibers

interesting thread on 40-50 or 40-70
    I'm one to read and not post -so here it goes
    I'm a Maynard guy and started with 40-70 1873 thick rim and make it from 405 win also have 40-60 1873 that uses 30-40 Krag well
    have an original mold for both conical and cylindrical

now just picked up a Remington Hepburn 40-2.5 with slug .403 grooves and shallow rifling
    will stay with Sr4759 and use my 41 mag mold

A good choice for all to consider would be 38 Ballard extra long as it uses 357 max brass-just happened to get a 1882 barrel in that caliber -uses 357 pills and adds to one of my other frame sets

hope this adds something and hope to start a new thread on the Maynard!

ART

Boolit Master
    I thought the 38XL could be loaded with a 357Max case and a .378 heeled bullet

Boolit Mold
    This was a Maynard stub that someone put a 357 barrel into -great shooter so just a plug for 357max with easily obtainable components-
    glad I didn't need healed bullets

Yes, I understand your addition with Maynards very well and I have 7 Maynards so far, with one being a cased factory 2 barrel set (numbers matching barrels) in .35-30 thick rim and a smoothbore 64 calibre and another being a cased .32-25 Stevens target rifle. Need to get out and shoot them all more, but I have TOO many project guns on the go to get to them all in any kind of a hurry!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

those seem to be a neat rifle and fun to play with .

Boolit Master
    Neatest ammo box I have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Neatest ammo box I have ever seen
    Yes, I've never seen another one like it. It came with the rifle with the ammo still in it. Really neat idea to make it round rather than the normal square versions that I have seen so often.

Boolit Master
    I've never owned a Maynard but they are interesting. This post makes me think I should start looking for a Civil War era one.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    Currently I own an original Maynard 1873 model in the #9 configuration... a 40-40 with 26” barrel and the basic tang sight. It came with a Beech-style front sight but now has a period globe sight installed. At the same auction where I bought this little rifle, I also got an un-numbered 64 caliber smooth bore barrel that fits it perfectly.

I had John (deadeyebly) Bly make me adaptor rings to convert modern 30-40 Krag and all-brass 20 gauge shot shells to make it shootable. I also have a 22 rimfire barrel he made with off center bore and extended breech so I can use the same breech piece for all three barrels and calibers.

I also have a reproduction percussion Maynard by Larry Romano for N-SSA competition, but that’s another story.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

My 2 barrel set has a 64 gauge smoothbore barrel and I'm going to make shooter brass from Magtech 20 gauge brass cases using friend Bly's press-on adaptor rings.

(I also need to adapt some .30-30 cases to .35-30 thick rim, and some more .40-60 and .40-70 thick rim hence the extra adaptor rings ...)

Boolit Master
    About 15 years ago I bought a Maynard with 5 barrels, not all matching, from a man named Farmer, from Iowa. I asked if he was any relation to the Farmer Bros. Mfg., that made the Lage Uni Wads, and he said yes that was his company, and we had a good visit about that.

Well, he only had this one rifle on his table for sale, and I think it was only set out as bait, or a conversation piece to attract interest from other like minded shooters. When I told him I would buy it, it was as if I had just asked for his teen aged daughters hand in marriage !
    I could tell right away he really didn't want to part with it, but he sold it to me, but quickly added that if I ever wanted to sell it, I was to give him first chance at it.

It was a beautiful rifle, with a Swiss butt , and a cap box on the stock in the form of a stag head, and the cheek piece on the other side had a silver round target inlaid with a fine group, represented by copper bullet holes. I would really like to have known the historical owner of that rifle, and if that group was the winner of some important historical match.

Every year I saw him at the show, he asked if I wanted to sell him his rifle back, and I finally did. Now I'm sure he's long gone, and I'd like to know where that rifle went.

Boolit Bub
    Hi ART

The history of Edward Maynard and his contracting with The Massachusetts Arms Co to build his rifles. Followed by J. Stevens involvement is interesting.
    Here a few snips of the history.

The Massachusetts Arms Company was incorporated March 5, 1850 and was founded by Joshua Stevens along with Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson, who later founded Smith & Wesson. It was an outgrowth of the Wesson Rifle Company.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massac...s_Arms_Company

Maynard patented his revolutionary breechloading rifle in 1851. It was actually manufactured by Massachusetts Arms, which had been using Maynard's system under contract for several years.............https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Maynard

"Maynard and his financial backers founded the Maynard Arms Company in 1857, contracting the Massachusetts Arms Company to manufacture the new gun for civilian and military use. The guns, known as Maynards, were offered in .35 and .50 caliber, and could be purchased with interchangeable smoothbore shotgun barrels."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Maynard

In 1893 the company was purchased by the J Stevens Arms & Tool Company, also founded by Joshua Stevens. Stevens had left the Massachusetts Arms Company in 1864. The purchase was made to protect the interests of Edward Maynard's widow and provide security for the company's workers.[3]

My particular interest is in the 35-40 Maynard for BPCR.
    Brass can be made from 38-55
    I had a reamer made by Pacific Tool and Die and a barrel cut for my Stevens 44 1/2.

Because I don't mind neck turning I had the reamer cut for a tight chamber.
    I had the rifle made 20 years ago. Unfortunately life got in the way and I am just now getting back into
    shooting....
    More to follow..
    RJ

Boolit Mold
    Hey there
    glad I started the thread-I've gathered a few but still none of the 1st model--let me know--
    of note they are all derived from the Civil war receivers-just bought back and modified.
    My first was a mod #16 in 32-40 but I wrote an article on my 40-70 for the show guide for the last Colorado Gun Collectors Show.
    I'll share some picks but haven't seen the snap on rings mentioned above so would love to obtain some-
    I've instead made them from Delrin.

my 10th -another 40-70
    SORRY NEED TO LEARN HOW TO UPLOAD
    BACK LATER

Boolit Grand Master
    Rev Al, my 64 cal bbl is a tiny bit tight in the chamber to accept new 20 ga Magtech brass. What I did was take an original factory round (that fits perfectly) and had Tom Crone make me a whack-a-mole die to seat the ring in size the brass. Now all I have to do is get a round tuit and actually form up those 50 rounds for which I have shells and rings. I’m planning on using my 1 ton arbor press instead of a hammer, though. I also have a NOS 20 ga wad punch from Lyman, so I need to find some felt and card stock in heavy thickness to use that.

I want to try and shoot some skeet with my Maynard when I get them loaded. Doubles may be a bit of a challenge, though!

Froggie

Same here ... my Maynard won't chamber the 20 gauge Magtech hulls as they are and I have a machinist friend who will make me a similar sizing die to the one you had made. Circle Fly Wads offers 18 gauge wads and cards which are what you need to fit the thinner brass Magtech hulls. Normal 20 gauge card and fibres will likely be a bit undersized.

Same problem here ... I have WAY too many projects on the go and haven't got "round tuit" on this Maynard project either. (Plus I need to form some more .35-30 thick rim and .40-60 and .40-70 cases and add the press on adaptor rings for my other Maynards.) Sigh ...

Boolit Grand Master
    When I measured the chamber of the original barrel that came with my first Maynard, the length I got matched that of the original 40-40 chambering. When I made up cases using once fired (modern) 30-40 donor brass though, the case capacity was well over 60 grains of CTG grade BP. I don’t think I would want my brass any longer than that!

Froggie