Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 222 Remington

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

222 Remington

Anyone casting for the 222 Remington? Any advice on hardness, alloys or molds? I’ve never casted anything that small before.
    Thanks

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shoot a 225-55 NOE WW-1/20+cu 75-24.5/.5 water dropped . The bullets weigh 62gr ready to fly . Over 19.0 gr of H322 I get 2640 fps and under an inch out of an 80's vintage 24" 340 Savage . The rifle shoots 50 gr pick a brand off the shelf factory about the same .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Anyone casting for the 222 Remington? Any advice on hardness, alloys or molds? I’ve never casted anything that small before.
    Thanks
    It depends on how fast you want to push them. I personally have never shot a 222. My shooting of cast 22 boolits has been with the 221 Fireball and the 223. The 223 is very similar, to the 222. I also have never pushed mine much faster than 22 Mag velocity. For those velocities a mixture of 1 percent tin and mixed in tire weights and water droped has worked well for me, I cast hot for 55 gr Lyman boolits around 800 degrees. You will learn what works best for you. I know that a lot of guys on here use pure linotype for there 22 caliber shooting, linotype is quite hard and works very well for 3000 fps but you have to find a supplier of linotype of course tire weights are starting to be hard to find also. There are a lot of alloys that you can blend up your self using pure lead. Do a little research on bullet alloys. By the way it is never "casted" ie I cast a lot of boolits yesterday or I will be casting some bloolits tomorrow. Have a nice day.
    Johnny.

Boolit Master
    I have three triple deuces and adore the caliber. One has only seen jacketed since the barrel loves hot loads but the other two love cast at the 1600 - 1800 fps. Either 4198 or Re-7 seem to work just fine. My alloy isn't particularly hard (65% pure plus 35% hard chilled birdshot). What has been interesting is that they both prefer the original rounded nose soup can 53 gr boolit from Lee molds and not the newer more pointed 57 gr boolit from Lee. The same is true for my Hornet. I have recently acquired an NOE mold (same as Harter 66's) that produces really beautiful boolits for the 22 cal but have not tested it yet in the 222 (my bolt action 223 seems to like it however at velocities around 2000-2100).