RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 1889 Schmidt-Rubin

Boolit Buddy

1889 Schmidt-Rubin

Does anyone here shoot their 1889 Schmidt-Rubin? I have seen several guys on youtube blasting away with those old rifles. I got one about 4 years ago and am going to try to get a few rounds thru it before cold weather gets here. Anyone have a favorite load?...............
    Last edited by Ray1946; 08-12-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Whatever you do, DO NOT fire military spec GP11 out of an 1889 - you will damage the rifle due to the pressures involved.

As far as reloading for it, I've read people dispense with trimming cases to 53.5mm and just do light loads. Trail Boss would be a good low pressure powder to use tm with this model rifle.

Boolit Master
    Ray,

In June 1961, I bought a VG M1889 Swiss rifle for $13.88 in Lewistown, PA and got 3 chargers of Ball ammo with the rifle. I was a 16 year old back then and hunted chucks with the M1889. I have not fired the rife since then and have acquired Swiss M1911 and M1931 arms along the way.

I would be very careful about loads prepared for any M1889.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much for the input. I am planning a light load of RL7 with a tuft of Dacron under the bullet; the problem is the very LONG lead or throat. It was throated for a paper patch bullet that with the patching went about .321 in diameter............;what a challenge!..................