but there are some who know no difference so in their
    eyes this is fact
    nice to see a show that at least mentions hunting and that food
    is not all come from a grocery store
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I don't hate to be the one to say , someone must .
    If you've had to use a follow up shot on wounded ,tracked game of any sort 50+ times I do think it's time for you to stop hunting .

I'd guess one ,two ,even three times is forgivable . At that point a person with any sense would know they are doing something wrong
    And take the effort to learn basic marksmanship and shot placement on the game they are pursuing.
    You must not have ever hunted with a shotgun on deer drives. That was probably over a 1000 deer total so 50 deer that were not put down right there is about normal.

I would LOVE to see you shoot and kill a running deer and NEVER have a wounded one. So before you open your mouth I would do a little research on how a deer drive works.

Banned
    I did some math and basic research .... average lenght of gun season for deer is 13 days and average success rates hover around 50%

So I'm going to apologize to you , I guess to see 1000 deer shot on drives you've got roughly 60-70 years of hunting experience ( could go more or less depending on hunting group size ) and who can argue with that sort of experience.

I can't claim to be any sort of expert , I'm not what you'd call a hunter at all . Every few years I get a taste for venison and I go out and try my luck for a tasty young doe .
    And lucky for me Ohio now allows us to use straight wall rifle cartridges . So no more shotguns which has made things easier.
    And again not being an expert I fully understand that no one is perfect and you aren't going to drop every critter you shoot at right on the spot .
    But having some ethics about what game I do persue I only take the shots that I am 100% confident in I felt the same even when still using a shotgun .
    The way you hunt is no excuse for being less then that 100% confident in your shot .
    The only way I'd excuse any less is the proverbial. .. four hungry children and no crops in the fields .

But hey that's my view ... and again I do apologise in humble respect for your vast experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Anyone see the guy last night shooting a buffalo from horseback with his trusty 1911! The didn't show the actual shots on tv but showed him aiming at a full run beside the buff , must have shot him 7-8 times as the next scene showed the slide locked back.
    Not the Ideal caliber but I guess it got the job done. I believe there were in Idaho . Is it even legal to hunt a buffalo with a semiauto pistol ?
    Was it the same fellow that has his figure on the trigger in the 'hero' shots at the beginning of the show?
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I did some math and basic research .... average lenght of gun season for deer is 13 days and average success rates hover around 50%

So I'm going to apologize to you , I guess to see 1000 deer shot on drives you've got roughly 60-70 years of hunting experience ( could go more or less depending on hunting group size ) and who can argue with that sort of experience.

I can't claim to be any sort of expert , I'm not what you'd call a hunter at all . Every few years I get a taste for venison and I go out and try my luck for a tasty young doe .
    And lucky for me Ohio now allows us to use straight wall rifle cartridges . So no more shotguns which has made things easier.
    And again not being an expert I fully understand that no one is perfect and you aren't going to drop every critter you shoot at right on the spot .
    But having some ethics about what game I do persue I only take the shots that I am 100% confident in I felt the same even when still using a shotgun .
    The way you hunt is no excuse for being less then that 100% confident in your shot .
    The only way I'd excuse any less is the proverbial. .. four hungry children and no crops in the fields .

But hey that's my view ... and again I do apologise in humble respect for your vast experience.
    We averaged about 20 guys in our group. And some years doe tags were as many as you wanted to buy. The #'s add up fast. We are not allowed just one deer. Some counties have 15K extra tags you can buy. Most all the guys we hunted with were farmers and their kids. We hunted their farms and they wanted ALL the deer to be gone because of the damage they do to the crops. One guy lost over a $100K in one year because of the deer. Now let that sink in. That was the reason for so many guys and so many seer that were shot.

And another thing. Most all the deer we donated to the food banks here. So say what you want. We were doing good for more than a few people. Probably more than most people have ever done in their lifetime.

Boolit Master
    A 45 cal round nose moving at over 900 fps has a lot of penetrating power. If the guy shot 6-7 times, at lease a couple boolits will get passed a rib to to drop the young bull. I do not approve of what that guy did but having raised bison for a few years for market, I know what is theoretically possible. Personally, I carried my trusty 444 with serious loads when I felt it necessary but even that wasn't enough when on foot on the wrong end of a running herd (a true primal experience) but living to tell the tale.

Banned

I shot one with a 44 mag with a 250 kieth at 1100 fps and it died as fast as the ones ive shot with the 475s and 500s. Fasted kill ive seen on one was one day the buddy and I went to our friends fenced hunting deal to cull some pigs he didn't want. Thinking only pigs I took my 4 5/8s super loaded with lyman devestators at 1200 fps. Shot a couple pigs and we were about to leave when an 800 lb cow stepped out in the field about 30 yards away. Told dave I needed some meat for the freezer and said 800 bucks cash right now and ill take it home. He said go for it. I aimed right behind the shoulder and at the shot blood blew out of its mouth like a garden hose fully on and it tipped over on its nose right there dead. Dave asked me what the I was shooting. when I told him a 44 mag he shook his head. He said he seen them hit with 338s and even his 416 with similar shot placement and watched them keep eating. I myself shot one with a 500 one day and at the shot it put its head down and started eating. didn't even flinch. I knew I hit it because I could see a blood spot where it hit. It took 3 steps put its head down to eat again and fell over dead. There basically to big to see shock. Put a bullet in the vitals and they die but sometimes they just don't know there dead. Would I hunt one with a 1911. Nope. Not intentionaly. But then I would show up to hunt buffalo with a 44 mag either.

Boolit Master

There is a world of difference in meat from an animal that is killed humanely with 1 shot compared to an animal that is running, stressed, and wounded. Oxygen starved muscle with an excess of lactic acid has a much different flavor once cooked.
    Bottom line, quick humane kill of an unstressed animal combined with quick cooling of the meat and getting the blood out gives much better eating later.

Take a shot at a running animal - not worth the risk of wounding and tracking
    But maybe I am just lazy
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Just like a Russian Prince? Great way to show ethical hunting to the folks? I hope they do a Custer shoot next and drop their own horse!

Boolit Grand Master
    standard practice for me never to shoot a running animal
    or do deer drives never been a fan
    some do it that way more power to em
    never been a group hunter
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

White Eagle
    I agree I have yet to take a critter into the locker plant and say, be sure and run him around the building a few times before you butcher.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    This.

Boolit Master

Hey, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Most likely his 1911 was a 10mm. The round is gaining popularity with the Alaskan folks.

Boolit Master

7 shots to put down a wounded deer seems much...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Seen elk hunters do the same run into a area in the dark spook the elk out of there beds , then panic as it gets light and the fog lifts and him and his dad start blasting away , butt shot gut shot I put 2 in its chest to put it down for them , as by that time it was not feeling any pain and my father said he saw one cow buck when they were shooting as they were not waiting for the bull to be clear of the cows , why I do not hunt around others any more , poor shooting , poor firearms handling , no ethics , no morals , just kill something , I was raised to hunt for meat not for killing and bragging .
    It is more common than it should be. It bothers me when I see crap like that happen. I saw a guy shoot an elk as you describe. Pitiful.
    Don Verna

Banned

don't know. When I was young an so was everyone at camp we shot ALOT of deer doing deer drives and I ate lots of great tasting venison that came from those deer shot running. Now what I will agree to is meat on a deer that's wounded and chased miles can be a bit wilder tasting. But id bet you a dime to a hundred bucks I could take two 100 lb does and cut the back straps out of both and throw them on the grill. One shot and dropped in its tracks and one shot bounding away from me in the woods and you aren't going to tell me which is which unless your a lucky guesser. Ill make the same bet between a deer dropped in its tracks and one that ran a 100 yards at the shot then died. Never shoot a running animal? good advice because most cant hit them in the vitals and more gut shots will occur which can taint the taste of the meat. But look at it like this. Ive shot lots of deer. At least half of them run away at the shot. Wouldn't they all taste as bad as a deer I jumped in the brush and shot. Those deer already shot are a lot more stressed then that deer I kicked out of the high grass. Just more wives tales like having to age venison. Now shoot a running deer in the guts chase it for a mile find it and chase it another 1/2mile and shoot it 2 or 3 more times to kill it then take it home and hang it on a tree limb out back of the garage for a week and cut it down and I can about guarantee you some crappy venison.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 08-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

45 ACP should work great for up close wounded deer. Imho I'd just use a heavier boolit and not use the 185 grain HP self defense ammo.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks this way.

I am a very good shot but will not take a risky shot and never a shot at a running animal...unless I have wounded it, or it is charging me, or I am desperate for food.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve seen one deer shot on the run. It was by my father. He was using his Ruger No1 in 338 WM. I prepared to shoot but didn’t need to. The deer stumbled and crashed hard. Plowed up what seemed like 10 yards of dirt. Hit the deer in the right rear rib cage and ended up in the left shoulder. Still have the bullet somewhere. Sure do miss dad. Today’s his birthday and he would have been 64.

That being said, let’s keep the comments civil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast