RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: New shed time. I'm ashamed...

Boolit Master

New shed time. I'm ashamed...

I currently have a small one-car "garage" that was designed for a Model T. I believe it is 13' x 24'. It is filled to the brim with tools and a Honda Pioneer 500 UTV. I also have two smaller 8' x 8' junky metal sheds that are filled with wasp nests and some gardening tools.

I decided to tear down the metal sheds and just have one larger wooden shed that will contain my UTV and a couple of pontoon-style float tubes.

In the past, I have always built my own sheds. But building material costs are pretty steep these days. I believe the last one I built was around $1000. To build this shed, it will cost me $2200.

To have a high-quality 10' x 16' barn-style shed built and delivered to my site is $3044. I think I'm going to pay the extra money and have one delivered. I looked at a few different shed builders and the cheapest was $2300, unpainted, and 24" studs with a weaker floor. The most expensive was a Mennonite built shed at $3800. It is impressive quality with a metal roof, diamond-plate door sill, 16" stud spacing, etc.

Took out an old raised-bed garden site and had 3 cubic yards of gravel delivered yesterday. Got it all leveled in 96 degree weather and it reinforced my decision to just have a pre-built shed delivered.

Attachment 246499
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

My Brother Manny and I took a carport and put a slab under it, added 4' to the rear for a bench area and framed the other end for a roll up door. I don't recall what he spent but we basically used this carport to make a real nice shop.

Heres the bench end...

We were working on the bench end as we waited for the sheet metal for the siding to come in...

Here it is done & ready to move the tools in...

Just offered this up as an option, many times you can find these 12' x 20' carports used for sale cheap.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I currently have a small one-car "garage" that was designed for a Model T. I believe it is 13' x 24'. It is filled to the brim with tools and a Honda Pioneer 500 UTV. I also have two smaller 8' x 8' junky metal sheds that are filled with wasp nests and some gardening tools.

I decided to tear down the metal sheds and just have one larger wooden shed that will contain my UTV and a couple of pontoon-style float tubes.

In the past, I have always built my own sheds. But building material costs are pretty steep these days. I believe the last one I built was around $1000. To build this shed, it will cost me $2200.

To have a high-quality 10' x 16' barn-style shed built and delivered to my site is $3044. I think I'm going to pay the extra money and have one delivered. I looked at a few different shed builders and the cheapest was $2300, unpainted, and 24" studs with a weaker floor. The most expensive was a Mennonite built shed at $3800. It is impressive quality with a metal roof, diamond-plate door sill, 16" stud spacing, etc.

Took out an old raised-bed garden site and had 3 cubic yards of gravel delivered yesterday. Got it all leveled in 96 degree weather and it reinforced my decision to just have a pre-built shed delivered.

Attachment 246499
    I to switched from build mode to BUY mode the last time around and have no regrets.
    I do some work in it and enjoyed picking the options I wanted to fit my use.
    Things like transom windows high up to let in light and not allow anyone to look in and Tyvek under the siding so I won't have any moisture issues when I insulate it in the future.

I was able to add/build lofts on both ends and custom shelving for my intended uses, a much smaller project than a complete build, and easier to tackle.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 08-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Banned

I have a pre-fab 10' x 24' "cabin" with four foot porches, front and back
    Shoot off the back
    Cast on the front
    Reload in the middle
    I had the floor doubled up for strength and structural integrity
    Have no windows and two doors front and back with security screen doors added
    For security and ventilation
    The carport looks real nice as an option
    Had sixty tons of road base to place it on
    Will see if I can post a couple pictures
    Last edited by jmort; 08-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I too just put up a bigger shop garage replacing the old 23'x30' x 8' one. The new one is 40x50x 10 4 60 bottom of the trusses. Pole building with concrete floor and cupola on top. Working on some lighting in it now.
    One thing is make sure if you in a zoned area to get all the permits and follow the zoning. I did it all got a building permit issued and still have a busybody complaining and tying up the final inspection on it.
    Build the building you want and double the size in 5-7 years youll be glad you did LOL. DAd always told us when doing a ne building build as big as the property can support and what you can afford.

Boolit Master
    When our old barn was torn down, I started checking prices for a new one. Turned out I could buy one already built, for less money I would have to shell out for materials from Menard's, for the same size barn. 12'x20', with a half loft. However, the prebuilt has 7' sidewalls, due to height restrictions on the highway, where if I had built it, the sidewalls would have been 8'. I can tell you one thing, besides having enough room for my garden tractor, snowblower, powerwasher, and other stuff, it works great as my deer blind.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 25x37’ concrete building that I have everything in, one of the reasons we bought this place is because of all the storageAttachment 246518

I site built a 12 x 16 shed, shingle roof, roll up door. Worked out ok for equipment storage, and am hoping to run power to it this year before ground freezes. Was a good chance to work with grandson on construction project. He learned some things such as roofing and how to lay out rafters and frame walls, doors and windows. I busted my tail a whole bunch over a few weekends. Did cost less than kit from big box or pre-built. Full height walls too.

Neighbor hired a metal building erected and he spent maybe 3x as much BUT it is at least twice the square footage and taller and was built in a single day. Maybe part of a second day at the most. Was similar to the carport picture posted but intended to be a complete building.

As big as you can find a way to build is generally good advice. Stuff will fill it up over time. Costs more to build another one than to have added 4 feet to each wall on the one you are building today. If you don't fill it up it will be more organized and spacious looking, if you do fill it up then it will be storing a lot of stuff. Either way you win, and when you go to sell your property like the poster from Ky said "bought this place is because of all the storage". Good storage has resale value.

I had always hoped to add a bay onto the garage leaving the existing outer wall as a divider. Probably not going to happen. Too much money besides it is easier and cheaper to get rid of some stuff. Cost less to heat and dare I dream air condition the existing garage. Still that extra room would be nice....
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Might check out these folks https://carportsandmore.com/carport-garage-builder.html Gives one a nice idea of pricing for different options and sizes.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    My shop is 30x40x12. 6" reinforced floor, 2 roll-up doors (8' & 10'), fully insulated and drywalled. Metal roof and siding. heated with wood and I burn less than a cord a winter. Lots of room but I wish I had piped water in and put in a washroom. House seems to keep moving further and further away. This coming winter I am going to burn up a bunch of project wood I am never going to use so I will clear up more room.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Holy cow! Shop down the road is run by a Mennonite family and they delivered a 8x16 wooden shed, shingled roof, painted, etc. Set it up and leveled it. Dual swinging doors on one end. $1,500.
    2x4 construction on 16 inch centers, solid plywood floor.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Local zoning is permit required for shed bigger than 200 sq. ft. and with that permit comes design/build codes and inspections
    … So 12x16 is the sweet spot for me, without restrictions for multiples

Prior town zoning was 100sf max and a local shed seller had a Barn type design with a 10x10 floor footprint with the walls angled out at 45 degrees from the floor 2' up on 3 walls but not the wall with the door.
    So in effect it was a 12x14 shed, wall wise and a 10x10 floor wise to meet the 100sf restriction
    Most people who bought these sheds put shelves above the wall jogs.
    I apologize for posting this useless work-around zoning info/geezer speak,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 08-10-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Holy cow! Shop down the road is run by a Mennonite family and they delivered a 8x16 wooden shed, shingled roof, painted, etc. Set it up and leveled it. Dual swinging doors on one end. $1,500.
    2x4 construction on 16 inch centers, solid plywood floor.
    Yeah, nearly everything is more expensive around here, yet the median income is around $33k a year. National median income is $58k. We are always in the top 10 of highest fuel prices in the nation. Makes getting by very difficult.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I've been planning a 12x16 shed myself for this fall .
    Local prices for pre built are about the same here as the op.
    After looking at those and pricing store bought materials I learned that holy cow material prices are a bit crazy .

So I've gone a different route , last winter I talked to a couple tree service guys and rounded up enough yard logs to have most every cut at the local sawmill .
    Even with free logs and cheap sawing ( .22 cents a foot )
    By the time I buy the little bit of treated lumber I'll need along with fasteners , exterior finish and roofing I'm still going to have over $1000 in it along with all the work involved in making the siding and doing any straight edging and planing that might be needed to do a nice job with rough cut lumber .
    The only advantage I see is I'll get exactly what I want by doing it myself .
    How much of an advantage is that for a shed ? So I wouldn't get to feeling to bad about just buying one already done

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought a baby sawmill last spring ......that should solve my wood needs .
    A gal at work gave me 3 pecan limbs about 30" by 20 ft and a couple of 24" cedars .
    I have about 60' of 18" oak and hickory .
    I'm waiting on the paper to clear for a new to me place that I will add a room , closing part of the carport and remodel of the wash room .

After we get settled and the summer swamp air goes away I will be looking at a shed and concrete is the killer here . It caused me to spend an additional $6000 over the bids and buy a house vs building . The mill will cut 9'6" add facers and a 4" center beam and I have the makings for a 20×?? on 2 high block foundation , with a double pitch or barn roof . Just need barrier wrap , nails , insulation and roofing . Makes a 20² pretty cheap .

Boolit Master
    I inherited (came with the property) a huge shop built from a carport (more like an RV hanger). It had a lean to on one side worth a roll up door big enough to park my small tractor, plus about 12 foot built onto the front with a roll up door. Never really measured it, but I'm guessing the main body is 30x40 with a 25 foot roof line. Mine isn't wired, but works great for a day shop.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yeah, nearly everything is more expensive around here, yet the median income is around $33k a year. National median income is $58k. We are always in the top 10 of highest fuel prices in the nation. Makes getting by very difficult.
    In exchange for that you get to live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. I'm not a west coast guy but that corner of the world sure is nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I inherited (came with the property) a huge shop built from a carport (more like an RV hanger). It had a lean to on one side worth a roll up door big enough to park my small tractor, plus about 12 foot built onto the front with a roll up door. Never really measured it, but I'm guessing the main body is 30x40 with a 25 foot roof line. Mine isn't wired, but works great for a day shop.
    Wow, nice
    Sounds like a good candidate for a mezzanine/2nd floor over about half of it.
    A neighbor has a tall RV garage attached to his house (but no RV in it) and has built a mezzanine and stairs over the back half, up to the front overhead door tracks.
    He walled off 10ft at the very back/under that mezzanine to become his loading room.