RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: I had the Privilege

Boolit Master

I had the Privilege

I went into my local pawn shop today and as the owner know me and knows that I like surplus and military weapons, said he had something to show me. He then placed in my hands a 1943 inland sg stamped, all numbers matching m1 carbine! The bore, furniture, and everything else was perfect! As the drool ran down my face I asked were he got it and how much he paid. His response was a guy walked in off the street handed him the gun said he needed some money, didn’t want to pawn it, wanted to sell it outright, and asked it $125.00 would be a fair price. Normally I would call bull but I know this pawn shop owner, he is an honest man and not prone to tell y’all tales! I have know reason to doubt this story. And yes I asked how much he wanted for it. He said it’s not for sale I’m keeping this one myself. Oh well at least I got to hold it! I can only hope he changes his mind and let’s me buy it at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by poppy42; 08-09-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Hope he ran those numbers, as $125 is almost screaming "this gun is stolen". If not, great find!

You could go back and ask if you could hold it again, just for a while. Repeat this behaviour from time to time. He may come around.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

In Texas a pawn shop has to hold a firearm for 21 days before it can be sold.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wis Tom View Post
    Hope he ran those numbers, as $125 is almost screaming "this gun is stolen". If not, great find!
    My (recently passed) friend Hughie was a barber, with his shop adorned with anything/everything firearm-related. Last year an elderly widow walked in with an 1892 Winchester .38WCF in what appeared to be almost-new condition, it having belonged to her great-uncle who gave it to her for safe keeping before WWII. Now in need of money more than the firearm, compounded with her planned move to an assisted living facility which does not allow any firearms on premise -- she cheerfully sold it to Hughie for US$75.00! NOT to turn this thread into one of ethics -- e.g., my wife would not allow Hughie in our house for months after -- as, he resold the '92 -- same day -- for US$875.00 -- often folks have no idea what the worth of what they're selling -- or in this case, pawning -- is. Sort of related, a neighbor sold a diesel VW Rabbit for $300.00 last year... almost $2K below book.
    geo

I expect pawn shops and gun stores to offer 1/4 to 1/3 the actual value of a gun. They will turn it around and sell it for as close to what they figure actual value is. It is how they pay the rent, and keep the lights on.

If that pawn shop owner had any smarts, he'd send her 75$ a month for some 4-6 months.

In fact my H&R topper combo came to me because my neighbor was complaining the pawn shop only went to 125$ for it.

I said bring it by the house, I'll look at it and make you a fair offer based on condition and looks.

20 ga had never been fired and I doubt the .30-30 barrel had a box through it. Externally it was flawless, lightly oiled, no rust, perfect blueing.

I laid 300 cash on the table (had more in my pocket) The guy goes out to his car and comes in with a 60$ 14" damascus steel bowie knive. And then took the cash. We both walked away with a smile on our faces.

Slapped a Red dot sight on it and it stacks them up at 100 yards. Yeah I'm happy, dang right I'm happy. That is now my end of the world kit, with chamber adapters 16" long for the 20 ga in both 9mm and .45acp. One very flexible outfit right there. All in a neat soft case with ammo for each caliber in the side pockets. Wife complains its heavy. Well yeah, essentially 4 barrels in there plus ammo plus the rest of the gun.

I had several oportunity's to get good intact working M1's back in the 80's for less than a 100$. Kicking myself now I didn't.

Boolit Master
    Well I figured I give ya an update. I stopped back in to see my buddy long as the pawnshop and I asked him if he decided to sell the M1 carbine would at least give me dibs on it? I told him I probably couldn’t afford what he was going to ask for it but at least give me the option maybe I’d win the lottery or something . That’s when he informed me that he kind a needed the cash to pay bills and that he put it up on gun broker. He said he hated to do it but after all he is a business and needs to make money to. So I asked him what he would take for it . That’s when he said he didn’t think I would be still interested as the price as of now was up to $1,400 and climbing. Well beyond what I can afford . Oh well least I got to hold it

Moderator Emeritus

Happy you did in fact get a chance to hold it! A friend at a mostly-Garand shop on Long Island, New York had a RockOla "bringback" which was pretty much pristine -- I too got to fondle it a bit -- it having (this, about fifteen years ago) a $3,000.00 price tag. Also, for just a couple hundred less was an Inland "Coffin Carbine" -- complete with the cardboard box from the NRA and documentation. All out of my range -- then -- I settled on a non-military carbine (an IAI) in the low several hundred dollar range! At shows around here, they seem to start in the $850 range for "hoe-handles" -- really beat specimens -- with the sky apparently the limit on the rarer ones. My "fear" buying the rarer ones, is will someone else down the road going to pay me what, or hopefully more, than I gave for it? (Reason I settled on the IAI). Recently, a true friend elected to downsize his herd, and I now am a genuine military carbine owner and will add, it was worth my wait.
    I hope you find one in your future... again, the "real McKoy" is surely worth having!

I was able to buy a factory Howa M1 carbine sporter for $400 a few years back and have never regretted it. I have no idea of the worth but I do know they are rare. No matter; LOML claimed it as hers and we shoot the snot out of it! I’m always on the lookout for M1 carbines that are slightly bubba’d- cousin found one with home checkering and the wings ground off the front sight for $300(Inland early button safety and flip sight)!

Boolit Master
    Yeah I always kick myself for not buying one and a Garand back from the CMA when they were cheap. I’d love to have one but certainly not at that price. I’m not much on collectors items I want it as a shooter. Like I said oh well at least I got a hold it and boy was it a beauty !

Boolit Master

Well, here’s my ‘I had the privilege’ tale: several weeks ago a guy came to the range with a Johnson rifle, in excellent condition. He had purchased it a decade ago. I’d read about them but never seen one. As I was discreetly wiping the drool from my chin he loaded 8 rounds in it and handed it to me. I put three down range and reverently handed it back. He said I had five left. I thanked him and said he had already made my day.
    Now I own a few real nice firearms, and often get the opportunity to shoot others. But never thought I’d get to shoot a Johnson. Since miracles do happen I’m now waiting for the day someone walks in with a Gyro-Jet next.

Banned

if he was honest he would have at least doubled that price and still made a killing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    if he was honest he would have at least doubled that price and still made a killing.
    Agree
    Never impressed by bottom feeders